The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Default A very sad, not wearing a helmet story

Here is the link.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=599937

13 year old girl's father dies of cancer and now her mother is gone due to a riding accident and not wearing a helmet.

I wear a helmet each and every time I get on a horse, but you can't make other people do it.

Very tragic, but there's also no guarantee she wouldn't have died from that type of injury if she had been wearing a helmet.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

1 members found this post helpful.

Default UGH

Makes me sick to my stomach. These days, I put my helmet on before I even go to get horses out of the field, if there is more than one horse in the field. I had a friend who got kicked in the head by her kind and trusty amateur horse while she was removing splint boots after riding...he kicked at a fly on his belly and she was in the firing range...but thankfully, she was still wearing her helmet. Shredded the velvet on the hat, but thank God it was her helmet and not her scalp.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

I used to hack out & do flat work w/o a helmet. One viewing of "Every Time, Every Ride", reformed me.

Very tragic
    helmets and breakaway stirrups could have had a different ending to the story
    Jingles for the little girl

1. Horse goes in crossties
    2. Brush, pick feet, kiss
    3. Saddle on
    4. HELMET ON
    5. Bridle on, out we go

I never, ever, ever ride without protecting the one body part I cannot live without.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

Very sad story, myself I never wear a helmet not even once. Some people do some don't same as when they drive a car. Actually very very few do when driving that I know of. Statistics say almost all head injuries in driving accidents could be prevented if the person had worn a helmet.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Quote Originally Posted by moonriverfarm View Post
    1. Horse goes in crossties
    2. Brush, pick feet, kiss
    3. Saddle on
    4. HELMET ON
    5. Bridle on, out we go

I never, ever, ever ride without protecting the one body part I cannot live without.
    Amen sister

While wearing a helmet is an adult's choice, if I owned/managed/ran that boarding barn, it would be a rule..... no matter the age.

It's a rule where I board (private/self-care) because I wrote the rules for the farm owner!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

County, I wouldn't be bragging about not wearing a helmet when you ride.
    SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
    Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
    The Barkalicious Bakery
    On Facebook!!!

I'm not bragging at all just stating a fact.

Actually very very few people I know use helmets. We have a cattle drive/trail ride each fall and spring. Out of 20 or so riders theres 2 that use helmets. Last month went to a cutting there were over 100 riders none wore a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by county View Post
    Very sad story, myself I never wear a helmet not even once. Some people do some don't same as when they drive a car. Actually very very few do when driving that I know of. Statistics say almost all head injuries in driving accidents could be prevented if the person had worn a helmet.

I like your style

I have to say, I agree. I only wore a helmet over fences, and only because it was required. I would never willingly put one on just because.

You can fall and hit your head on the sidewalk and die, yeah, it may have been prevented if you had a helmet on, but who wants to wear a helmet to walk down the street?

How sad for that little girl. I'm glad she has a supportive extended family to help her through this tough time.

Well, if you think your looks or hair do are more important then your brain,
    you are probably right.
    Crayola posse ~ Lazer Lemon yellow
    Take time to give...it is too short a day to be selfish. - Ben Franklin

I can't imagine being a single parent and not wearing a helmet, a seatbelt, a lifevest, or whatever safety equipment the sport required. You are the ONLY PARENT!! What happens to your child if you hit your head on a rock or go through the windshield??

Quote Originally Posted by DairyQueen2049 View Post
    Well, if you think your looks or hair do are more important then your brain,
    you are probably right.

Honestly, I am a pony tail, no make-up, jeans and T-shirt kind of girl. No hair-do here.

I just think that freedom of choice is important, and the arguement about it being sooo dangerous is just goofy. As County pointed out, most head injuries in cars could be prevented with helmets. Do you wear a helmet in your car? I can almost guarantee that many people here spend more time in their car then on their horse. Also, the amount of car accident deaths due to head injuries is probably a lot higher then the amount of horse related deaths due to head injuries.

DQ2049 I have no idea what would make you think that at all. Fact is I have very little hair to start with.

bring a junior rider i am required to always wear a helmet although up until i started requesting english horses on trail rides in the mountains (which always happened to be green) I wouldn't wear a helmet on those rides. When i work horses regularly at home i will wear a helmet though. Sometime at the end of a hard workout I will take it off and walk a lap or two around the area to cool off with my horse before i jump down. not often just everynow and then and only when i have a set of eyes on the ground there with me. I did however at a show ride without a helmet but it was after we walked up to the arena to watch the trainer work the horse to give him a quick tune up and he wanted us to get on him for like 5 minutes to get the right feel and we didn't have helmets on (the other person being the owner an AA). But it was a HUS app with no personality so they fact that i had a ball cap on made a huge factor since it felt like i may have a hat on.

Just a thought... but it used to be fine and legal to not wear a seat belt. Is not wearing a seat belt a safe idea?

I am of the every ride, every time clique...
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    I can't imagine being a single parent and not wearing a helmet, a seatbelt, a lifevest, or whatever safety equipment the sport required. You are the ONLY PARENT!! What happens to your child if you hit your head on a rock or go through the windshield??
    The sport does not REQUIRE a helmet. The helmet is a choice.

Also, though I am single, my children have two parents. I can't procreate by myself

I guess my biggest arguement is that people have freedom of choice, and to push your beliefs on others is wrong. I feel the same way when it comes to religion, politics, abortion, etc.

The goverment has regulated more then enough of our lives, we don't need others also pushing their regulations upon us for our safety. We have the right to choose what safety precautions we want to use, and which ones we don't. Just think of it as natural selection.

I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to take extra precautions by wearing a helmet. Yes, you can get hurt doing lots of other things, and I agree that driving a car is a lot more dangerous. But that does not change the fact that riding is still dangerous. Why not protect yourself as much as you can?

Quote Originally Posted by NCtoCO View Post
    I guess I just don't understand why you wouldn't want to take extra precautions by wearing a helmet. Yes, you can get hurt doing lots of other things, and I agree that driving a car is a lot more dangerous. But that does not change the fact that riding is still dangerous. Why not protect yourself as much as you can?
    Amen You said it best!
    ~ Kimberlee
    www.SpunkyDiva.com