The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default Scary, Scary Question: Hoof Critique?

I'm not sure I like the farrier this barn uses. I've never really had a problem with cracked hooves and it seems to me she's high on the inside on all four feet? I've also never seen her toes quite this long on the front.

So, while I have no idea what I'll need to do to bring in a new farrier [I've pretty much ticked this BO and wife off because I've ceased using them as my trainers, and have also started to buy my own feed], I'm curious to know what is wrong with her feet from experienced hoof people. This farrier doesn't seem like he'd pay much attention to a sixteen year old, but I will talk to him nevertheless.

Front Hooves
    Left Front #1
    Left Front #2 [I know it says right]
    Left Front #3
    Right Front #1
    Right Front #2
    Right Front #3

Hind Hooves
    Right Hind #1
    Right Hind #2
    Right Hind #3
    Left Hind #1
    Left Hind #2
    Left Hind #3

I only have two pictures from this past Christmas (before we moved here to Atlanta), and I doubt they'll help much, but here you go:

Front Feet
    Left Front

I also don't really have many good conformation critiques, but you can tell (for the most part) how she typically stands:

Standing

Her right hind points out quite a bit, and although she's cow hocked, I'm not sure that's normal?

Other conformation faults would include a long back and shallow hip angle.

Disclaimer: I tried really hard to get a dead-on, straight picture, but some of them may be a tad tilted one way or the other.
    Roo & Lulu

Just off the bat, her feet are too long, heels are underrun and contracted and all feet are in need of balance and symmetry. Even barefoot her feet are way too long- but they look a little healthier. I am sure the gurus will chime in and give you a better synopsis. Personally, I would be looking for a new farrier!

THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE FEET BUT IT SOUNDS TO ME LIKE YOU MIGHT BE ONE OF THOSE BOARDES THAT MIGHT BE A NIGHTMARE TO HAVE.I WOULD ASK YOU TO FIND A NEW BARN TO BOARD AT YOU SEEM TO KNOW MORE THAN THE BO'S...THE HAY CUTTERS....AND NOW THE FARRIER

Well, Nohafoot, that was uncalled for.

Anyway, there's tooooo much hoof and the heels are soooooo contracted. She is quite out of balance.

PM me with your location. It's possible that my farrier, who travels to mid-Georgia to do special cases, could pop in and have at her.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

the heels are soooooo contracted. THANK YOU FARRIER FOR YOUR SOUND ADVICE FROM THE JUST PIC'S THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG HAS THIS FARRIER BEEN DOING YOUR HORSE CONTRACTED HEELS DO NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT....LOOK BACK AT THE POSTERS LAST POSTS. DONT MEAN TO BE A AZZ BUT ONE MUST SEE THE FULL STORY

nohafoot- I believe you're absolutely correct. I'm sure I annoy the h*** out of them, but I can promise you that nothing I do is founded on a whim, or because I'm trying to spite them. I've repeatedly made it clear to them that I will come and do anything extra to make it easier for them, I have weedeated and cleaned out several of their paddocks that were in dire need of attention, and I care too much about what goes into my mare and what is done to her to not change something because it might be a bit of a hassle for the BOs.

I was very close with my old BO and was often told how irritating it is to have to play "chemistry lab" at feeding time, but when the hay is BROWN, dusty, and she's not keeping her weight...sorry...I will be a witch to solve the problem, if need be. Fortunately, the BOs were supportive of my feed change.

I also do not plan on storming into the barn today and declare their farrier unfit to trim and shoe horses and other such filth. I will talk to the farrier myself, and if that doesn't accomplish anything, I will change.

While I can understand why you would say what you did, you do not have all the facts, you do not know me nor my horse, and you do not know the situation.
    Roo & Lulu

Here are pics of your horse's left and right fronts with a line drawn to show how much extra hoof there is to be removed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LEFT FRONT-REMOVE.JPG 
Views:	144 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	11901   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RIGHT FRONT-REMOVE.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	11902  
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare
    Here are pics of your horse's left and right fronts with a line drawn to show how much extra hoof there is to be removed.

No kidding!
    Roo & Lulu

how long and how many times has he done your horse.

He's been doing her feet for the past four months or so.
    Roo & Lulu

PLEASE GOD PUT THAT PIC WITH THE LINES AND EVERY THING ON HORSESHOES.COM PLEASE DO.....CHOCO MARE SO HOW LONG YOU BEEN A FARRIER IM AT A LOST FOR WORDS AT WHAT I JUST SEEN.

Um, are we still in kindergarten, or is somebody a little grumpy?

Instead of taking potshots at everyone, can you post what YOU think should be done?
    Roo & Lulu

roo im sorry your right the farrier you have has reset your horse mabey 2x so contracted heels he did not do he could dress the foot more down set the shoe back a little but its not the worst job ive seen and we dont know what the horse looked like before he started but i will be on the GA-AL line rebuilding a hoof wall for someone if your barn is close ill swing in and take a look and see the horse move and so on...no charge if your pretty close

nohafoot- why don't you turn off your caps lock and take a valium?

OP said she's 16. In my experience most 16 year olds are a PITA (), but it dosen't mean they don't deserve advice when they are asking for it. BTW, I agree with ChocoMare's assessment of how long these feet really are!

You're not being a witch. You're being a caring owner who is also trying to be diplomatic and to keep the peace with your current BOs. It's not like you're calling them at all hours to berate them, or storming up to them and giving them hell; you're just raising concerns, which IS your right to do.

Without having all the facts, I do have to ask if it's an option for you to move your horse to another barn? If you're having to deal with BROWN and dusty hay , YOU'RE the one who ends up having to take action to clear out weeds in the paddocks, and you're faced with a farrier you're not happy with...sounds like a bigger change may be in order.

so your in the sam boat that you shoul just cut about a full 1-2" right off.....mabey im wrong....he might not bleed or limp for a few weeks...con i come and ride with yall and see how you guys shoe

Quote Originally Posted by nohafoot
    the heels are soooooo contracted. THANK YOU FARRIER FOR YOUR SOUND ADVICE FROM THE JUST PIC'S THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG HAS THIS FARRIER BEEN DOING YOUR HORSE CONTRACTED HEELS DO NOT HAPPEN OVER NIGHT....LOOK BACK AT THE POSTERS LAST POSTS. DONT MEAN TO BE A AZZ BUT ONE MUST SEE THE FULL STORY
    Goodness, I have to agree with you some.....though word a bit differently. I too, have one of those adolescent owners that is on her last legs at our barn.....for some reason she thinks she knows more than the BO who has been doing this for longer than she has been alive.

And to think, her horse is the most ill mannered, owner more irresponsible than the other owners......but yet she cannot listen to anyone's advice.....and is passive aggressive.

PLEASE GOD PUT THAT PIC WITH THE LINES AND EVERY THING ON HORSESHOES.COM PLEASE DO.....CHOCO MARE SO HOW LONG YOU BEEN A FARRIER IM AT A LOST FOR WORDS AT WHAT I JUST SEEN.
    Nohafoot - you need to find another board to troll my dear Get your emotions under control and act like an adult.

The drawings choco mare have posted are CORRECT. There is a LOT of excess foot on this horse. Obviously it can't be all hacked off in one fell swoop, but over time, the size of these hooves should decrease dramatically with proper trimming. And that is the point choco mare was illustrating. I don't believe any foot savy person on this board would think that she is suggesting hacking off half the foot and hope the animal doesn't bleed. This takes time over many trims to accomplish. The feet are contracted with toes that are too long and run forward.

Quote Originally Posted by besjoux
    Goodness, I have to agree with you some.....though word a bit differently. I too, have one of those adolescent owners that is on her last legs at our barn.....for some reason she thinks she knows more than the BO who has been doing this for longer than she has been alive.

And to think, her horse is the most ill mannered, owner more irresponsible than the other owners......but yet she cannot listen to anyone's advice.....and is passive aggressive.
    And is your implication that this original poster is the same?

so your in the sam boat that you shoul just cut about a full 1-2" right off.....mabey im wrong....he might not bleed or limp for a few weeks...con i come and ride with yall and see how you guys shoe
    How, exactly would I be in the same boat since I do not have hooves? If instead you are suggesting cutting into my bare, human foot, you may have some mental problems on top of your inability to use the spell check function. You don't lop the excess wall off, you gradually change it to make the foot more balanced and remove the excess. Horses don't bleed when you remove excess wall, or at least I have not seen any that do.