The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Love it or List it. Are clients always jerks?

Just watched a couple episodes of love it or list it for the first time. Are the clients always mean and ungrateful or did I just happen to see the two worst?

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, it's part of the formula.

Of course you realize it's all fake, right?

I have very mixed feelings about LIOLI. I *KNOW* it's not real, but some of the people are just so freaking evil or stupid that I switch the channel. And the LIOLI too show...wtf is up with that? No thanks.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Yes, I know it and house hunters are staged. Just wondering why they make the ones on this show so ungrateful, or if it was just the two I saw. At least most of the house hunters folks are nice, even if they complain about paint color too much.

HH, yes, mostly normal. LIOLI, total crap shoot. Same with some of the Property Brothers shows. But I guess nice and normal doesn't sell.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

And why does it seem like now on HGTV it's LIOLI or House Hunters all the time? What happened to their other shows? I used to watch HGTV a lot, and now I rarely do because I don't like those shows.

2 members found this post helpful.

I stopped watching most of them too. Just got sick of the whiners!
    ~~~~~*~*~*~*~*~
    “ride your own horse” from sayings for life.

Yeah, it's a little hokey listening to them argue all the time. I like HH and loved HH International, just to see different areas of the world. But EVERY person/couple says the same thing in what they want: Open Concept (silly term everyone uses), en suite, and the worst thing that bothers me...they all need a certain area to "entertain". ....great for entertaining. Um, reality people, how often does one entertain??? I would think these folks on the show entertaining every single weekend! And have you ever noticed that at the end of the show when they have moved in, they are always in the kitchen chopping vegetables. Right.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My gripe with LIOLI - It seems live EVERY time they decide to take down a wall, they are shocked to find out it is supporting structure. DUH! The architect who designed the house, often 50 years before, intended that wall to be there! It might as well hold the roof up.

I know it's staged, but how stupid is that woman, not be able to figure out after the 4th fiasco, that whatever massive structural overall is planned will encounter expensive roadblocks? And that the magnitude of those problems is directly proportional to the age of the house?
    Last edited by red mares; Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:50 PM. Reason: spelling

LIOLI is totally fake, and they know before they start filming if the people are moving or not. However, I think some clients enjoy being jerks on the show, because they're that way in real life too. It's just like on House Hunters, where some people like the trauma surgeon moving back to Fargo, ND was so fantastic, vs. the granite/stainless steel/hardwood fanatics that are total jerks to the realtors, and their own partners.

HH International is all fake too. On that one many people (like the architect moving to Dubai or Abu Dabi working on that huge skyscraper) are actually leaving the country, or they've been there for years. That one is a total put up, and I've read that some of the people are actors in the local country. Hidden Potential was actually advertising in the trade papers for people to play home buyers, in return they would get national tv exposure.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Also hate the fake bickering of the professionals on LIOLI. And while she is endlessly surprised that there are structural or electrical issues when renovating an old house, he seems to go off and find something well above what the "budget" was. Blech!

Also hate the some of the "sell your home" shows. They "stage" the house by removing a lot of crap (good!) but then add in wallpaper or weird light fixtures to "make it pop!". And then they drop the price by 20% after spending thousands fixing it up. Finally they talk about the value of staging if it sells or that "they are expecting an offer any day" if it doesn't.

That woman who does the reno is a complete twit! Who doesn't assume that when you reno a house that if 40-50-100 years old that there won't be structural problems, electrical and plumbing code violations, leaks and roofing problems.

And who are the jerks that don't want to replace the rotting, leaking roof if they have to give up their stainless steel appliances?
    Ride like you mean it.

For the LIOLI there was a gay male couple that was just sooo incredibly rude.

Then I read an interview with them where they said what great fun it was to play against type, etc. The producers ask them to be jerks, because they need to create the drama. Every one of those episodes needs to have the: "oh noes, this wall is a supporting wall/the ancient home's wiring is wacky/we can't just replumb the bathroom to be over there scene", the "HO wanting to list is mean to the redesigner after something she promised can't be done" scene, the "first 2 houses shown are ridiculously inappropriate to the needs/wants of the couple" scene, etc.
    Every episone has the exact same elements.

I hate the House Hunters who are looking for a place (in the Caribbean or somewhere European, Hawaii, or somewhere exotic) who MUST have a bedroom for "guests." Seriously? You want a place where every two weeks someone of your family, friends, and/or barely-known acquaintances can call you up to let you know they're coming? So you can feed, drive them around, and entertain them for the time they're there?

Put them on a fold-out couch. They won't overstay their welcome. And if it's your parents, YOU take the couch and let them have the master bedroom.

Sheesh.
    "Oh, sure, you may be able to take down one smurf, but mark my words: You bonk one smurf, you better be ready for a blue wave."---Bucky Katt

3 members found this post helpful.

RH-I also hate people like the ones moving to Nicaragua or Honduras and they had a bunch of kids, and were buying a huge house. They wanted to help the natives, through some kind of school or teaching, but everything they said came off as so condescending, and superior that I couldn't stand them.

And the people moving to some really poor country, and spending a ton of money, and it's so they can live cheaply in a mansion, and not have to be bothered with the people who live there.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I love the oh-so-cool Americans who want to live overseas to live in a different culture and then want a big kitchen with a big refrigerator, granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, a big yard, close to all the cool restaurants and bars. They want to 'live American' in Europe. Naïve.

Quote Originally Posted by RHdobes563 View Post
    I hate the House Hunters who are looking for a place (in the Caribbean or somewhere European, Hawaii, or somewhere exotic) who MUST have a bedroom for "guests." Seriously? You want a place where every two weeks someone of your family, friends, and/or barely-known acquaintances can call you up to let you know they're coming? So you can feed, drive them around, and entertain them for the time they're there?

Put them on a fold-out couch. They won't overstay their welcome. And if it's your parents, YOU take the couch and let them have the master bedroom.

Sheesh.
    Ride like you mean it.

5 members found this post helpful.

I got tired of LIOLI a long time ago, Hilary drives me nuts. I do like Property Brothers, though, because it's fun to fee the transformation of the house they redo.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Even though I know all those shows are staged, I still enjoy watching most of them. However, LIOLI drives me absolutely insane. They always uncover some expensive structural problem, the first couple of houses they look at are always entirely unsuitable, and the homeowners are always unreasonable and rude. Bah!

They filmed an episode of HH here and the homeowners were interviewed for an article in the local paper. They said it was completely staged and was filmed after they had closed on their new house. The footage taken of them looking at the house they ultimately "decided to buy" was taken after they closed but before they moved in. The footage of them looking at the two houses they didn't buy was all taken after they had already moved into their new house.

They said you can almost always predict, while watching the episode, which house the people will buy because it's the one that's unfurnished, while the ones they don't pick are usually furnished. I started paying attention to that while watching the show and discovered that it is true.

I love HH International because I like seeing the footage of other countries. But, the one where the couple was relocating to Okinawa nearly made me foam at the mouth. They looked at a very cool Okinawan-style home and another one right on the water, but the wife hated them both because they weren't "American" enough. They ended up taking one that was nearly a carbon copy of their previous suburban home, in an Americanized neighborhood. Personally, I thought wife didn't want to go to Okinawa and was trying to make hubby suffer by making everything as difficult as possible. He wasn't military, so didn't *have* to take the job, but it was his dream job, so she agreed to go [cue the martyr music].

That's interesting, NoSuchPerson! I always wondered why on earth anyone would sign up to look at 3 houses and have to pick one! And it always drove me crazy when they would say, "I know which one I like, which one do you like?" and they pick the same dang one! haha.

In HHI I always laugh at how people expect the same houses as they have in the U.S. in some very old European city. They all complain about how small it is. What did you expect? Oh, and I do find it curious how in many European countries they actually take the "kitchen" with them. It's just an empty room with no appliance, cabinets, nothing! I mean, how do you know the new house will fit the old cabinet layout?? Very odd.
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

The people in International HH that drive me crazy are the ones looking in the Caribbean (or some other hot, tropical climate) and insist they need a bathtub. Really, you're planning to take a lot of hot baths there?
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/