The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dispute with eBay seller (was cost to repair stitching?)

I bought a saddle off eBay. I've bought/sold saddles through eBay in the past and never had an issue until now. The seller said that the saddle (a Prestige Andrea Palladio) had no blemishes, which I frankly didn't believe since this is an older saddle, but I figured a few blemishes wouldn't hurt at the price I paid.

Turns out it's in not-so-excellent shape, as was stated, and has some shoddy after-market work (kind of hard to explain, but there's some really strange girth strap that was stitched to the underside of the flap--and the stitching shows on the outside of the flap), and the flocking is exposed under the saddle due to stitching that needs to be repaired. I don't even know where to begin to see about having this repaired, if I do go that route. I've contacted the seller to see about sending it back or getting reimbursed for the repairs.

Anyway. Has anybody had anything like this done, and where did you send it? The saddle manufacturer? How much did it cost? I'm just SO disappointed!

Here are some photos:

http://s1356.beta.photobucket.com/us...n2323/library/
    Last edited by RRein; Nov. 14, 2012 at 08:46 AM.

Sigh... so the seller claims that this isn't the saddle he sent. I had to file a dispute with eBay. Thankfully, he promptly responded that he'll issue a refund once I send the saddle back, but I have a funny feeling this might get ugly. So now I have to worry about covering my ass--taking a lot more photos, having confirmation delivery, packing the thing well--so that he can't claim that he didn't receive it or that it was damaged even further upon receipt or something. Gaaaahhhhh.

Yes you need delivery confirmation, but otherwise, even if it doesn't come back in the same condition, the seller is usually out of luck (unfortunate ebay loophole). There was a horrible thread on this from a seller on the eventing forum a couple weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Beam Me Up View Post
    There was a horrible thread on this from a seller on the eventing forum a couple weeks ago.
    Wow. I don't think I'll be selling a saddle on eBay again after reading that thread.

You've filed a formal ebay dispute resolution and you're the buyer? Sorry, you really can't lose this one. As soon as you give Ebay/Paypal the tracking info you'll get your money back. He can't do anything about it--honestly, he couldn't do anything if it WASN'T the saddle/you trashed it yourself. The dispute-resolution system is entirely titled to the buyer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Actually I think the thread in the eventing forum had a good ending.

http://chronofhorse.com/forum/showth...highlight=ebay

With that being said I would still document everything.

Ouch! So sorry, OP. That just sucks.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.