The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Scene around Ocean Springs, MS?

Hi All!

I am looking into graduate programs, which of course means looking for potential new boarding barns to bring my horse! I have found an M.S. Assistantship position I plan on applying to down in Ocean Springs. Can anyone tell me what the horse scene is like down there? I am willing to drive a bit if necessary, or potentially board at a smaller facility and trailer in for lessons. I currently show in the High Adult Jumpers with my 8 year old gelding at the 'A' and 'AA' shows in Zone 3 and occasionally Zone 4. I am a very active horse owner so full care is not necessary (or really desired). A simple general idea would be super helpful as well as any trainer or facility recommendations.

Of course, my graduate work will take precedence. Therefore, I will be moving to where ever the research is of interest to me. But I greatly enjoy my riding as a competitive outlet and means to stay active (and sane! ). I have other location options for schools (Florida, Penn, SC, etc.), but Mississippi is the only area that I am completely unsure of what the horse scene is like!

Thanks in advance!
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Holly Shepherd and Accolade Farm is about 30 mins east of Ocean Springs - big article on her in this weeks Chronicle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponytoes View Post
    Holly Shepherd and Accolade Farm is about 30 mins east of Ocean Springs - big article on her in this weeks Chronicle.
    Great recommendation.
    As far as the "show scene" goes, it's pretty much schooling shows - which are VERY competitive and GREAT practice. I believe Holly travels to A/AAs in GA, FL, AL, etc.
    Another person is Sean Steffee - he's based out of Kiln, MS though (near Delisle/Bay St. Louis/Pass Christian). He travels pretty far for shows, I'm almost positive he went to Indoors and WIHS this year (but not positive).
    I think the barn Sean is training out of is VERY small and it would be pretty easy to negotiate board w/o full care.

FWIW, both of the above will have some haters - but it's because they both refused to screw people over.

Does Accolade farm have a website? I can only find the facebook page.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the
    inside of a man.

-Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by woodhillsmanhattan View Post
    Does Accolade farm have a website? I can only find the facebook page.
    No they don't. Just a fan based facebook page. Accolade has two main barns, many pastures for turn out, and a field with jumps. You can do full care, all your own, or both. The horses always come first. Wonderful Wonderful training. Holly tries to stay in zone 4 during the winter, spring, and fall but travels during the summer a lot for shows. She's got a great assistant and a few clients.
    If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong.