The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pain issue-thoughts?

Hi, last week and before I had been having some really good rides on my mare! Now, as of this week, when I go to mount, she tenses, I do some bending before we walk off and; "poof" UP she goes. I think; "Ok, maybe Rose has some teeth pain". I try riding in a halter with reins. She goes UP this time as soon as I am mounted. Now, I am wondering if it is not teeth and just pain or a pulled something? Advice please.

Tia,

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous

Do you know how to palpate her back to see if she drops it with touch? Does she travel well on the longe? Does she do this with a saddle and bareback?

How long have you had her, what previous problems has she had, age? History?
    “Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.”
    ? Albert Einstein

I do not know how to palpate her back. I have pressed along her spine and she has no reaction. I could be doing it wrong. She is 9 years old, primarily a trail mount, and only ridden lightly at best. I didn't notice anything on the longe, other than she seemed excited(couple of leaps and tail over back). Now after I move off, from mountin, the behavior(rearing) goes away. I have not tried to ride her bareback yet.(only have had this mare since Mar.).

tx,

KH
    Strange how much you've got to know Before you know how little you know. Anonymous