The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Smile I need your opinions!

I have to write a complete business plan for one of my classes. I have the basics done and have figured all of my hard costs: insurance, transportation, equipment, etc. What I need help on is what people would be willing to pay for the services I would be offering in this business.

To be clear, this is NOT AN ACTUAL business, just an assignment for a class. I hope I'm not breaking any rules by posting, I just need feedback from a variety of horsepeople.

Some background about my area: there are not a lot of full service barns in my area, most are partial or self care. Even at the barns where full care is an option it is pretty basic (feed, water, stall cleaning only; with blanketing, turnout and other services at an additional added cost)full care unless you are at one of the few training barns around. All but the most basic barns will feed in the mornings, but that's about it.

My business idea: Offer "full care services" for horse owners at a reasonable cost. It would be geared mainly to people who either keep their horses at home or at basic care barns who would like to have some of the perks of full care without having to be at a training or show barn. There would be several options, from basic pay-per-item services such as holding the horse for the vet or farrier, stall cleaning, etc. to package deals geared more towards someone who might be going on vacation such as a stall cleaning/feeding/turnout/etc. at one flat fee per day. Below is a potential list of services which I would provide. Feel free to tell me what you think you would be willing to pay or if you think there are things that could be added.

Stall cleaning
    Turnout
    Blanketing
    Feeding
    Holding for vet or farrier
    Wound care/injury rehabilitation under the direction of the horse's vet
    Conditioning/exercising on the ground
    Conditioning/exercising under saddle
    Show/sales prep
    Bathing
    Clipping
    Braiding
    Last edited by Thoroughbred in Color; Nov. 13, 2012 at 05:26 PM. Reason: adding in sam.j4's excellent ideas
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

Braiding/washing/clipping services are common here, Worming is also one that my college's barn did.

Thanks, I added those ideas in.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

deworming, definitely I love that the place where I board now handles that.

For the truly lazy - not just holding for the vet but even scheduling the routine stuff (shots, teeth, etc). I can do it, but it's nice when a bunch of people are on the same schedule and the barn can just say "vet will be here x day, for these services, leave your check on the desk unless you opt out"
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.