The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Getting Started

Hello everyone! New here. I'm just getting started in the world of hunters. Been riding for about 16 years now. Always been a barrel racer. I do have an AP saddle that I've jumped all my barrel horses in just playing around. I have taken hunter, saddleseat and dressage lessons. All of them briefly. Anyways, picking up a new horse this coming weekend and hoping to show him at a local pony club. So any tips of the trade would be greatly appreciated. Grooming and turnout. Training tips. Friendly advice. And this will be my new boy

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/trulee+an+art

Well welcome! I can't be much help as I rode Eventers and Jumpers years ago and then went to barrel racing professionally. I too am now coming back to pursue a dream I once had. You should post pics of your new horse you are picking up!

I have no idea how to post a picture on here. I'll do some searching around and try and figure it out lol.

Edited: Yeah, that lost me. I just changed his fb album to public. These are the only pictures I have right now because my husband didn't bother to take any when I was trying him out.
    http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4566052&type=3

Are you showing QH Hunters or USEF? The way of going and the equitation are different for each.

As for turnout, nothing replaces daily grooming, which I'm sure you know.

Clothing wise, I always suggest spending the most of your budget on a high quality coat. That little bit of breeches that shows - no one is going to see enough to know what brand they are. Make sure your boots are tall enough. Short boots just don't cut it. Always wear a long sleeved shirt - that little bit of cuff is a bit more polished, and if it's hot enough to have coats dismissed, the long sleeves again look more polished. Hair tucked up neatly in a hair net - no show bows.

Look at pictures and videos of top horses and riders to see what they look like and follow suit.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Nice bloodlines! Congrats! Couldn't see the pics, though.

I won't be showing QH hunters. Watched a few videos of that and quickly decided against it. Will start at a local all breed show and move on to the pony club. He was a WP reject because he carries his head naturally higher. Biggest hurtle right now is that he's never been posted on so when I put he gets confused and stops. He'll trot all day long if I sit it

Thanks! I don't know much about pleasure lines except Artful Move. If I can figure out how to share pics on here I will. I made him my profile pic if you can see that. He's jet black, not a white hair on him and close to 16 hands. Built like a tank

Here's a quick video of him at a trot. I was having to really work at keeping him going. But what do you think? Diamond in the rough? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X1V_...2&feature=plcp

Wow, it's been a while! Monty is his typical unpredictable self. Never know what kind of a ride you're going to get. One ride he might be jumping beautifully and the next, refusing everything. He is seeing the chiropractor this Saturday and I am going to start with a trainer as soon as our schedules match up. I'll have some new pics and videos for here later today. Also bought the forbidden HDR CC saddle but I like it just fine. The bridle is a little soft for my liking though.