The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default I painted my farmhouse - before and after pics included!

My house was built in 1849, and was still in the original family until I bought it at an estate auction 9 years ago. Somewhat typical Tennessee farmhouse, shabby when I bought it and definitely in need of a makeover. My handyman and I painted it over the last several weekends. I still need to get someone to seal the tin roof - my handyman and three others that I called don't want to get up there because it's pitched so steeply. I plan on putting up a weather vane. I want a classic trotting horse, but it has to have an arrow, too. I can find horses without the arrow, and roosters with, but not horses with.

I e-mailed the pics to the granddaughter of the lady who lived and died there. She was 99 when she died, still living alone on her farm.

This was her reply:
    Such a coincidence that you e-mailed me today b/c I was going to e-mail you this evening when we got home from bowling. We were in Murfreesboro on Friday, visiting Brenda and David down by the creek and I came to a dead stop when we passed your house. It took my breathe away, it was so stunning. I even took a picture of it with my cell phone but your pictures do it much better justice. I absolutely LOVE it in every way and you could not have chosen a better color. You didn't do it all yourself, did you? Brenda and David also brought it up and were so impressed with how amazing it looked. Brenda said she bet Granny was kicking up her heels in Heaven and shouting her approval. I also think my mom is in total agreement with your choice! How is the roof planning going? Have you found anyone to tackle Mt. Everest? Again, I applaud your creativity and I thank you for keeping me involved. That means more than you could ever imagine!I would love to see the inside changes as well when you get it the way you want it. I have no doubt that it will be as beautiful as the outside is now. Well done, my friend!

I totally love that you are putting your heart and soul into this house that is yours. It is exactly what my Grandma did in the time she had with the money she had! It was 1st my Grandad's house that she made her own in time, and you are definitely doing that as well. You are a thoughtful, pensive, strong person and so was my Grandma, so it is almost as if it was meant to be. This house needed new life to be breathed into it, and that is what you are doing, and you are doing an incredible job! I love seeing the transformation, and I am so sure my mom and Grandma feel the same way. All things happen in good time and the choices you are making are right for you and also for your home. Again, thanks for involving me and I look forward to seeing the transformation!!!! Love, Cheryl
    Now for the pics.

Before: Flattering snowy pic harsh light of day pic

After: House 1 House 2 House 3

StG

18 members found this post helpful.

You can rent a cherry picker that can get you next to the roof (to seal it) without ever getting out of the bucket - can be pricey but if you can rent it on a Friday morning and return by COB Monday evening then essentially you pay for 2 days and get 4 days. That's what we did for our steep roofed house.

Great colors choices - house is VERY pretty now and not "dull" at all!
    Sandy in Fla.

2 members found this post helpful.

Good color choice! I love my red house! Cherry picker is a good idea for the roof fixing. Everyone stays safe.

Are you going to put new metal on eventually? We are thinking of doing metal when we replace the roof here. Not sure if white, green or blue would be the most fun choice. Blue roof would be patriotic with other house colors, white roof would match the big barn. Probably will be the green, since the garage/shop next to the house has the dark green metal roof already. We get a lot of compliments on that green metal roof, everyone likes it. Went on fast, fairly easy when husband did the job.

Your House does look nicer, all opened up with new bushes and the color.

Beautiful!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Beautiful choice! It looks great And how nice to keep the granddaughter in the loop. It's a great story all the way around.

3 members found this post helpful.

Love, love, love! That house just oozes character!

1 members found this post helpful.

Looks really great.

Love the new color, and don't blame you on not wanting to tackle Mt. Roof! Also, what a lovely note from the prior owner, and such great sentiments from the family. Made me smile
    Horsey romances written by a horsey person
    www.JesseHayworth.com

what a pretty little house! I love it!

I love your house! I'm not actually a fan of red, but the house itself is just gorgeous.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

It's lovely, what a terrific painting job and what a nice, eye-popping colour! I too have an elderly farmhouse (late 1850s so not quite as old as yours), and mine, like so many others, is "plain vanilla" white. On some days it looks positively ghostly - now that I've seen how beautiful yours looks, I may have to rethink the colour scheme.

Oh, and it's really wonderful that it was in the same family for so long, and that you were able to stay in touch with the granddaughter. My house was also lived in for more than 150 years by the descendants of the family that built it, and was finally sold to me by the granddaughter of the previous owner. She and her husband were kind enough to sell me some additional acreage, as well, and we still check in with one another regularly and meet for lunch once or twice a year.

Isn't it nice to have a friendly "go to" resource for information about your house's history?
    Home page: www.jessicajahiel.com
    Horse-Sense newsletter: www.horse-sense.org

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Beautiful!

So nice that you have kept up communication with the family of the former owner...

Oh, and there are quite a few horse weathervanes on Ebay, with arrows.... here is one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weathervane-...item4a99c46080
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Nice dramatic color! It looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Good color choice! I love my red house! Cherry picker is a good idea for the roof fixing. Everyone stays safe.

Are you going to put new metal on eventually? We are thinking of doing metal when we replace the roof here. Not sure if white, green or blue would be the most fun choice. Blue roof would be patriotic with other house colors, white roof would match the big barn. Probably will be the green, since the garage/shop next to the house has the dark green metal roof already. We get a lot of compliments on that green metal roof, everyone likes it. Went on fast, fairly easy when husband did the job.

Your House does look nicer, all opened up with new bushes and the color.
    I'm gong to contact a few roofers and get estimates on both sealing and replacing it. The aluminum is still solid, though it needs to be tightened down in places. But a new roof will last as long as I live. I'm not sure about the color - green might look too Christmas-y. I'm also trying to decide if I need to keep the door white, or go with a contrasting color. The porch is pretty deep, and black was too dark. My sister is thinks I need to put up shutters, but I'm not convinced.

I'm glad I kept in touch with the granddaughter. They own the 40 acres of woods across the road, but only come up a couple times a year to deer hunt or visit friends. I have the house and 14 acres and the old dairy barn.

StG

I love the detail of the arched front window and the screen door.

You could always cut out cardboard and paint it the color of choice for the door and/or shutters and then take a picture from the same distance.

As for roof color, print a copy of the photo and color the roof in the picture a couple of different hues and see what looks good.

2 members found this post helpful.

Love it! We have an old farmhouse too - it went from a crappy pale blue color to red with white trim and people would stop to tell us how much they loved it . I took a lot of flack from relatives at first - of course 90% of houses here are white *yawn*...red is a bold, but perfect choice for an old house!

Quote Originally Posted by jawa View Post
    I love the detail of the arched front window and the screen door.

You could always cut out cardboard and paint it the color of choice for the door and/or shutters and then take a picture from the same distance.

As for roof color, print a copy of the photo and color the roof in the picture a couple of different hues and see what looks good.
    Love this idea for shutters v no shutters!
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

It looks absolutely fantastic! And what a sweet, heartfelt letter. I won't lie, it brought a little tear to my eye

It took my breathe away to, great job. Such a cute house, we have lots of farmhouses but usually 2 storey. DH family had an old house in VA like this one, but the wood sat on the ground and rotted. Before it was torn down I stayed there. The floor sagged and it was damp and musty but really neat.

My aunt lives in her grandparents house, built late 20s. Next farm over is house my grandfather grew up in, her father. I would say its 100 years old or so. Not much stuff around here older than that, usually gets torn down or burns or soemthing. So neat to have something like that.
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

It's a two story house, with two finished rooms upstairs and half is attic. There are 4 fireplaces downstairs. Until the Grandpa died, that's how they heated the house. The ceilings on one side are 10' and the other side are 12'.

StG