The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle recommendations for a butet lover (aka not another saddle thread!)

I know there are bajillions of saddle threads, so sorry in advance . I have an older Butet that I love. The tree fits my horse perfectly, but per the chiro/ saddle fitter, the gullet is too narrow at this point. I bought the saddle when the horse was 6 (she is now 8) and her back has muscled up and the gullet is pinching a little. The horse is not back sore, but I don't want poor saddle fit to inhibit her continued development. Horse is not wide and does not have wide shoulders, but she does have muscling on either side of her spine that is being affected by the current saddle. It has been challenging to suit her and find a saddle that is comfie for me too.

I HATE both saddles the chiro has recommended as saddles that fit the horse well- antares hampton classic and prestige hunter classic D. He has made other recommendations that are similar in style- the big squishy type saddles. Every time I try this type of saddle I feel like I am miles away from the horse, I prefer a much closer feel.

My current saddle is a very flat Butet with no knee roles, thigh blocks, etc. I unfortunately can't affort a fully custom saddle and am trying not to go above $2k in a replacement. Any recommendations of something that would have wider gullet (chiro recommends 4 inches) and medium tree but a really flat close contact feel for the rider? I prefer no knee role or a pencil role, and no thigh block. I was thinking of trying a Tad Coffin, any other ideas?

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Have you tried a Butet with the FB2 configuration? It was the perfect fit for my guy, who sounds like he is built very much as you describe.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by M. Owen View Post
    My current saddle is a very flat Butet with no knee roles, thigh blocks, etc. I unfortunately can't affort a fully custom saddle and am trying not to go above $2k in a replacement. Any recommendations of something that would have wider gullet (chiro recommends 4 inches) and medium tree but a really flat close contact feel for the rider? I prefer no knee role or a pencil role, and no thigh block. I was thinking of trying a Tad Coffin, any other ideas?
    I'm not sure if the 4" is the gullet channel or the gullet plate - if the latter, that's good as there is a lot more choice then

Call up Beval with your saddle #, they'll be able to confirm which tree & whether you want to look for the same in a wider tree (an option which is unfortunately not exercised that often in their stock saddles) or the new tree that Lucassb mentions.

You can also get County Stabilizers in flat, no blocks/rolls & these would be more generous in gullet plate & channel - they will still have wool flocked panels & this may be something you like/dislike (though again the Stabilizer is more close contact in the panels - except any County saddle may have custom panels etc so it's always worthwhile to confirm saddle specifics with Head Office using the serial number).

I'm not sure a TC would fit your horse unless you find a saddle with the newer, sized tree (& then it's unlikely to fit your budget).

It's disappointing that your saddle fitter didn't come up with any suggestions for saddles that would fit your horse & that would appeal to you as well.
    I suspect that you would be happiest finding another Butet that fits your horse better, Beval might suggest other saddles in their line up to send out for trial.

I will try to get clarification on whether he meant gullet channel or plate. I thought he meant channel, but will find out. The more precise I can be in what I am looking for the easier it will be for companies to work with me. I think I will take your suggestions and contact Beval. I love my current saddle so much! Everyone else in my barn seems to like the big marshmallow saddles but I just can't adapt. Medium aged dog new tricks I guess .

The Albion Jewell is quite a minimalist saddle padding/seat wise, with a wider gullet.

My Arc De Triomphe has a wide gullet and has actually been mistaken for a Butet. They are definitely less expensive than other french brand saddles too.

ETA: Sorry, didn't realize you wanted no thigh blocks. I have the flat seat gazelle which is pretty flat and not as "couch"-y as other saddles I've sat in, but it does have thigh blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Have you tried a Butet with the FB2 configuration? It was the perfect fit for my guy, who sounds like he is built very much as you describe.
    You beat me to it, I would also suggest the FB2 Butet and if you buy used you should hopefully be able to find something within your budget. Don't just check Beval, the other used French websites also sell Butets (fine used saddles, french used saddles, etc.). BTW, allthebestusedsaddles.com is Beval's site for used saddles.

I would definitely try the Tad Coffin. I absolutely love mine, I went from one of those comfier than a couch saddles to my TC and while it was uncomfortable for the first week or so, I honestly cannot ride in anything relatively comfortable to most people, the flatter the seat/less padding/no knee/thigh blocks/etc the better, I totally love the close contact feel that mine offers.

I was just going to suggest the FB2 tree, but other posters got there first. I have a mare that isn't necessarily wide, but needed a wider gullet area and more freedom in the shoulders. The saddles the fitter recommended I absolutely hated, especially the Frank Baines. They were super cushy with enormous blocks, and I felt like I would get stuck in a position.

In my Butet with the FB2 tree, I feel secure without being restricted. Truly the best of both worlds.

The only other saddle I would think would compare feel-wise would be the Tad Coffins. If I understand correctly, they only come in wide and you get the leather Tad Coffin pads to tailor to your horses specific needs fit wise. Could be something to look into...