The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any experience with the Matrix half pads?

Hey everyone! Trying to narrow down choices for half pads, and was interested in these.

http://www.equestriancollections.com...upcode=TO80561

Anyone have any experience with them? Are they particularly thick in the woolback option? And how are the different inserts?

I have one that I bought a few months ago. I have the coolback option with the ortho-impact shims. It works great on horses with high withers, or more sensitive backs, perfect thickness for correcting saddle-fit issues.

I use a medium and it fits great on anything from 16.5"-18" saddles. Very easy to wash, throw it in the washer, use some shout on the saddle stains, and it comes out white as new. Simple to put the shims in and take them out. It was a bit pricey to shell out $200 for the pad and shims itself, but I am very pleased with mine.

Check eBay or you can never go wrong dealing with SmartPak, I would definitely recommend this pad

I will have the Mattes ones in a few days! I have one 1/2 pad on the way and one full hunter pad, and 3 euro-fit pads on there way. Euro fits will be another 3 weeks. The first two were ordered through Smart Pak and should be here any day! I have been using the FleeceWorks brand, but find that the fleece is not as resiliant as have past old Mattes pads. Have not been overy impressed with the Matrix brand as it seems to over compress. Giving myself a Christmas present with the new Mattes ones. If you are into the custom pads go to the website:

Dark Selections-they are wonderful to work with and love their stuff! Fun!

Or we can all be good and just get the white ones!
    Last edited by TullyMars; Nov. 14, 2012 at 04:26 PM. Reason: Spelling

Not a fan here.

I have the medium size with sheepskin and it is really bulky. There is so much extra fleece in the pommel and cantle area, and for some dumb reason the pad is WAY longer than the regular square Toklat pads I have. I did cut the billet straps off since I sometimes use it directly on pony's back and it doesn't slip. I can't use it with my dressage saddle since it changes the fit too much. It does wash well which is nice. In fact I think I'm going to try and sweet talk my instructor into trading me lessons for it!