The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question UPDATE Post 16____Gift for BO (and her Family) who is so much more than just a BO?

I'm at a loss.

This this is the woman who surprised me on my birthday in August by "selling" me the horse I had been leasing from her all year, for $1. Something I have been hoping for since I was old enough to know what to ask for.

And not only is she an amazing BO - the best kind you could hope for - but her husband has also helped me out with my car, built me a lawn mower...The list goes on.

So what do you get for a family who is so generous and welcoming? Epecially when you have such a limited budget?

I already work off my board on the weekends and if I didn't have a full time job in the city, I would help her out even more.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by wcporter; Dec. 16, 2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: update
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I'm not sure exactly what your budget it, but sometimes you can get a great deal on Groupon Getaways for relaxing weekends away. For instance, my friend bought her parents a weekend getaway at a B&B in the mountains for around $100.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

They sound like really wonderful folks. If you're on a tight budget, I bet that if you got them a card, wrote a nice note about how much you appreciate everything they've done for you, and make up a "gift certificate" for barn sitting for a weekend so they could get away, that gesture would be much appreciated. If you're looking for something under 100 bucks, you might think about a gift card for dinner somewhere nice. Or maybe if he's handy, get him a gift card to Lowes or some such and her a gift card to a tack shop she likes. It's hard to say for sure what they'd most appreciate since I don't know them. But at minimum, a heartfelt note would be very appropriate and appreciated.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

2 members found this post helpful.

Since you sound close to them, how about a lovely gift basket? These have been my "go to" for decades, & they're so easy to personalize & still keep within a budget. Go to a crafts store & buy a nice big basket. Then decide on a theme. A pasta basket? Some gourmet pastas & sauces, a nice baguette tucked in, a few Italian cheeses. Coffee nuts? An electric coffee grinder (Krups makes a good inexpensive one), selection of whole beans, a pair of coffee mugs. General gourmet? Just a basket of interesting-looking jarred sauces, salsas, chips, dips, spiced nuts, etc., etc. - the sky's the limit & themes are endless. And nothing need be overly expensive.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys!

I'm liking the gift basket idea
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

You might include a picture of you with your horse in a frame that has a thank you or coordinates with their barn decor.
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

3 members found this post helpful.

I love doing (and receiving) gift baskets. A bit like you I have some very wealthy friends who do loads for me. The personal gift basket is my go to. I know I cannot compete on price so I go for the personal thoughtful touch. For example one friend has been doing up his tractor, he is getting a digital photo frame and photos his wife has been sneakily taking for me of the work in progress.. and oil for the tractor and a new seat cover he hasn't bought yet.

Go for demonstarting you know who they are and you cannot go wrong

Those sound like very nice people.
    If you do decide a card and offer to look after the place for a weekend, so they can go away, you could include a gas card for their trip.

I find that gas gift cards today make many people the happiest, more than gift cards to restaurants.

Love all the ideas already but another go-to for a busy barn owner is doing all chores on a holiday. When I ran a barn and some boarders chipped in so I didn't have to do chores on Christmas, I almost cried. So nice to be able to spend the day with your family!

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Champ View Post
    Love all the ideas already but another go-to for a busy barn owner is doing all chores on a holiday. When I ran a barn and some boarders chipped in so I didn't have to do chores on Christmas, I almost cried. So nice to be able to spend the day with your family!

This is a great idea, especially with Thanksgiving and Christmas coming up!
    Sure, you'll have to miss that time with your family, but it sounds like they have done a lot, and you wouldn't mind anyways!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Another vote for doing all duties on a big Holiday.
    Also, if you have any special talents, such as painting, drawing, you could do a personal photo of their special horse? Anything that you can MAKE for them that would not cost you a lot in money, but show your gratitude by putting time into it?
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

Thanks guys, great ideas!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

The 'doing barn chores on a holiday' brought tears to my eyes. The memory of friends who came to visit mid-afternoon Christmas, when I THOUGHT we'd be finished dinner. Only we were just sitting down. They refused to sit & eat with us; instead, served, cleared, washed dishes - so when we were done with dessert, my kitchen was clean except for the dessert plates and coffee cups. I have NEVER had a nicer Christmas present. God bless, Ken, Marian, Kenny & Tarrayon.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

One year before I started working at the ranch, all of the guests that were staying at that time got together and agreed to not ride Christmas afternoon so the entire barn staff got to spend it with their families. It was so sweet!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

A few years ago, I gave my trainer/BO who is like my second mom (even after I moved barns earlier this year) a side by side picture frame with one picture of me riding one of her lesson ponies in a barn show when I was a kid and the other of me riding my horse I bought from her, along with a hand written card thanking her for everything she's done for me over the years. She loved it, and has it on her dresser in her bedroom.

I've also offered to clean her house and do laundry, something she doesn't really have time for since she and her family are the sole caretakers of the 50+ horses on her property. I like the idea of offering chores on holidays or house sitting while they go on vacation. Have them come home to a clean house and a hot meal. Inexpensive and extremely thoughtful.

Thanks everyone again for your suggestions. One night, after many days of burning my brain, I suddenly had a great idea.

I got my Aunt to do a water color painting of an old photo of my BOs mare she lost this year (at 32) with her foal back in '94 http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/...ps44f8e375.jpg

It came out beautifully and she was very happy with it!

ETA: I also did chores for her on TG day so she could go spend time with her family and will do them on New Years Eve and New Years day as well.

TG with my horse and some chickens and kittens was actually the best day I've had in awhile
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

3 members found this post helpful.