The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does this sound like to you?

The last few times I've ridden my horse he has tripped a couple of times during the ride, which is unusual for him, so a little red flag went up in my head. Rode him in a silly/fun/games type show at the barn on Sat and he seemed sound, but my husband, who always seems to be right about these things, asked me what was wrong with him (the horse) because he didn't look right. (Not soundness-wise; horse was just standing on x-ties.) Trainer rode Sunday and said he was really good. Then in my lesson yesterday, as soon as I started trotting he felt slightly off. It felt like left front. He worked out of that, but just never felt like himself. He felt like he was shuffling behind, especially around corners. I normally have trouble sitting his trot, and I had no problem at all sitting the trot--another red flag to me that he wasn't moving quite right, although trainer said he looked good from the ground. After my ride as I was leading him out, he suddenly seemed to slip badly even though there was nothing to slip or trip on--almost like he locked a stifle, which he has never done before.

The weirdness, vagueness, variety, and transience of these issues makes me think of Lyme. ???

I would get vet look see at right hock and the lower back

I experienced the feeling of lagging and occasional loss of the engine behind ( slipping) and it was bad hocks.

GOod luck, better to overdo the diligence now than pay the price later

some horses are so stoic that they dont show a lot of gait loss

the fact that he is guarding his back , not coming through so you can sit easily is a strong ( and very wise observation on your part) clue
    _\\\\]
    -- * > hoopoe

www.meanderingwa.blogspot.com

With my one boy it was epm. Started tripping, slipping in the back end and overall just looked different. Would feel a little off once in a while but he looked great.

With my other horse it was saddle fit, he was back sore from the saddle and he started tripping. Tripping so bad sometimes that he went to his knees in the arena.

I'd look into epm, lymes, and other neuro diseases and also have someone check his back and see if he is sore.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    With my one boy it was epm. Started tripping, slipping in the back end and overall just looked different. Would feel a little off once in a while but he looked great.

With my other horse it was saddle fit, he was back sore from the saddle and he started tripping. Tripping so bad sometimes that he went to his knees in the arena.

I'd look into epm, lymes, and other neuro diseases and also have someone check his back and see if he is sore.
    Jeez, I hope it isn't EPM! Yikes!

It could be saddle fit. I recently switched to using my dressage saddle all the time, whereas before I had only ridden him in my jumping saddle. I only ride him it it about twice a week, though, and my trainer uses her own saddle, which has never been problematic for him. It would be easy enough to switch back to my jumping saddle, which I know fits him well.

Well you can test this theory out easy enough. Try switching back to the other saddle and see if the problem persists. Sore/stiff hocks often lead to a sore back, and the saddle may be just off enough to aggravate the existing condition.

I'd probably have the vet out to x-ray the hocks and see what they look like. Treating that now, when he's barely symptomatic could save you a lot of stress and expense (and him a lot of pain) down the road.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

How old is he? If your able to I'd give him a week off to let any soreness wear off then go back to your jumping saddle and test it. I was only riding twice a week in my saddle and it caused this problem. Sometimes 3 times a week but usually twice. See if he gets better. If he is sore from the saddle going back to the other right off won't really tell you until he can work out the soreness. My trainer is a equine massage therapist also so he was able to get a massage a couple times that really helped take the soreness out. I'd try the saddle first. Then if no better I'd have the vet out to check for lymes and epm and xray the hocks. Look up the oroquin 10 trials. If your vet is willing to talk with the vet that is running them she can suggest some different titer testing they are doing instead of what is usually ran also that may help out with results since epm testing is not very conclusive sometimes.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole