The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Junior Catch Riding

thread closed
    Last edited by ridedreamdo; Nov. 13, 2012 at 09:51 PM.

As a junior, you must have a trainer or a trusted adult who can help you find rides.
    A public BB might not be the best option for you.

I can't think of anyone who would employ a junior without going through the proper adult channels.

Have your trainer make the connections for you. Good luck! You sound very enthusiastic. I hope you find many rides.

5 members found this post helpful.

Hi yes i understand that you need to have a trainer with connections. Yes i would have a trainer come along. But nobody around where i am now, has any connections. so i am hoping to find somebody on here.

Quote Originally Posted by ridedreamdo View Post
    Hi yes i understand that you need to have a trainer with connections. Yes i would have a trainer come along. But nobody around where i am now, has any connections. so i am hoping to find somebody on here.
    There are some very good people here who might be able to help you however you must not give anyone one the internet personal information without an adult being completely aware of what information you are giving, to unknown people online. It would be much better if you could have your trainer or a parent post on your behalf.

Again, Best Wishes!
    Last edited by skydy; Nov. 13, 2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: To be less discouraging?

2 members found this post helpful.

Smile

Just so you don't get TOO discouraged...up until fairly recently, I had a lovely large pony not so green that I would've loved to have shown by a competent junior. I couldn't find quite the right fit to show her, but did sell her to an excellent home since then. So.....those of us with NICE horses/ponies are out there and in need of your services. Don't lose hope....best wishes girls....

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you so much! if you know anyone looking let me know!

Girls, I have a couple of suggestions for you. Don't take them as being mean or harsh, they are just suggestions.

1.) Don't refer to yourself as professional juniors. We all know that there are people out there who are the top, top juniors and could ride a donkey backwards around a course and win, and they get called professional juniors. It's not a moniker that you bestow upon yourself, though, and they don't refer to themselves that way.

2.) If you're going to write a post like your first one, write it properly; use proper grammar. You're trying to represent yourself as someone providing a service (riding), so be as professional as possible in that respect.

3.) Skydy posted some really good comments - you should be talking to your trainer about wanting to catch ride, not posting on an anonymous online forum. You might think that your trainer has no connections, but I think you'd be surprised by the networks that people have.

If you haven't done a lot of riding for other people before, don't expect that you're going to start out showing the Rumbas of the world in the junior hunters at a big circuit like Thermal. You have to be prepared and realistic enough to realize that you'll probably start out riding greenies or tougher rides at smaller shows, maybe even at schooling shows. It's when you demonstrate that you can handle any ride that you might start catching the attention of other trainers, but you need to be winning.

With all of that said, I will say that when I was a junior, I did get a ride through this forum (and made a new friend in the process), but I did not post soliciting catch rides - I jokingly offered on a thread that was asking about having someone show the pony and the owner took me up on it. That is a rare, rare occasion though.

Good luck!

13 members found this post helpful.

You might also expand your offering and offer to do some grooming too. Might help get your foot in the door/establish connections you otherwise wouldn't have.

I second/third those who say you need to start with your trainer and branch out through his/her connections.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    You might also expand your offering and offer to do some grooming too. Might help get your foot in the door/establish connections you otherwise wouldn't have.

I second/third those who say you need to start with your trainer and branch out through his/her connections.
    Agreed. Also, I will state like the above posters that grammar and spelling is of the utmost importance, especially if you want to be taken seriously and consider yourself "professional."

If you truly want to catch ride at Thermal, maybe post flyers around the show and see if anyone calls you. However, be prepared to ride the bad and the ugly.

If you want to make flyers and need ideas or help editing, feel free to PM me- I'm an English major and would be happy to help

2 members found this post helpful.

Also spell and grammar check your flyers or whatever. I wouldn't take a second look at a flyer that said are instead of our and there rather than their.

If you choose to go the flyer route, I would strongly suggest asking your trainer to act as a catch ride "coordinator" and then put his/her number on the flyer instead of yours. There are a couple reasons for doing this:

1. Your trainer knows you and your abilities - he/she can weed through the offers so you don't get stuck on some dirty stopping monster.

2. You guys sound pretty young so you probably shouldn't be putting your cell numbers out to the world or meeting with strange adults on a show ground.

3. It will look more professional.

4. Your trainer will probably want a say anyway.

Good luck!
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Girls, I have a couple of suggestions for you. Don't take them as being mean or harsh, they are just suggestions.

1.) Don't refer to yourself as professional juniors. We all know that there are people out there who are the top, top juniors and could ride a donkey backwards around a course and win, and they get called professional juniors. It's not a moniker that you bestow upon yourself, though, and they don't refer to themselves that way.

2.) If you're going to write a post like your first one, write it properly; use proper grammar. You're trying to represent yourself as someone providing a service (riding), so be as professional as possible in that respect.

3.) Skydy posted some really good comments - you should be talking to your trainer about wanting to catch ride, not posting on an anonymous online forum. You might think that your trainer has no connections, but I think you'd be surprised by the networks that people have.

If you haven't done a lot of riding for other people before, don't expect that you're going to start out showing the Rumbas of the world in the junior hunters at a big circuit like Thermal. You have to be prepared and realistic enough to realize that you'll probably start out riding greenies or tougher rides at smaller shows, maybe even at schooling shows. It's when you demonstrate that you can handle any ride that you might start catching the attention of other trainers, but you need to be winning.

With all of that said, I will say that when I was a junior, I did get a ride through this forum (and made a new friend in the process), but I did not post soliciting catch rides - I jokingly offered on a thread that was asking about having someone show the pony and the owner took me up on it. That is a rare, rare occasion though.

Good luck!

And you did an amazing job!

if you've catch rode for lots of other people already, you sound like you have some good references in them? I would contact those people first, since they already know how you ride. Thats what a few juniors at my barn do-they have connections with a few people who use them consistently.

Ok first of all as other posters said sort out your grammar...and I assume you meant Equitation not "equation". You say you've have shown at very high junior levels....you obviously have a good trainer. Trainers who have kids showing at these shows on the A circuit DO have networks/connections and aren't afraid to use them!! It's how they do business. You also say you've done lots of catch riding before for lots of trainer...if so then no need to post anonymously on a forum. A bit like farriers, vets, other pro's....if you have to advertise??

Quote Originally Posted by HMF View Post
    And you did an amazing job!
    Aw, thank you! He's a fantastic pony, I'm so grateful you gave me the chance to ride him