The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Riding Lessons in Los Angeles?

I have a client who is moving to Los Angeles and would like to find a riding stable for her five-year-daughter. She's been riding for the past three months. She is off the longe line and doing posting trot (working on learning posting diagonals). Wants to find a place that is clean and safe, with appropriate mounts. She told me that the LA Equestrian Center is close. Are lessons available there? Any information about the area and recommendations would be appreciated!

Give you a bump here.

Think your biggest challenge (other then location) with that 5 year old is going to be finding a place with safe school Ponies that does not require a lease.

Check with friend and find out exactly where they are looking to live..."close" is relative and what may be "close" in LA or what looks "close" on a map is not what residents of most other areas consider "close" at all. There are unique traffic patterns and considerations that can negate any apparent mileage advantage to the point that "closer" takes longer to reach then "farther". Sometimes '"close" is virtually inaccessible at peak traffic hours (which is 6am to 10am and anything after 2pm).

There is a poster on here whose Mom is a trainer in Cerritos (near Long Beach off the 405 IIRC), cannot recall her username...maybe somebody can chime in? Other places in the Glendale/Pasadena area or the near Valley that may also be fairly easy to reach. Depends on where they are starting from.

Narrow the location a little bit and some of us can get you those recommendations for a 5 year old beginner needing a schoolie.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by bonstet View Post
    I have a client who is moving to Los Angeles and would like to find a riding stable for her five-year-daughter. She's been riding for the past three months. She is off the longe line and doing posting trot (working on learning posting diagonals). Wants to find a place that is clean and safe, with appropriate mounts. She told me that the LA Equestrian Center is close. Are lessons available there? Any information about the area and recommendations would be appreciated!
    I don't live in the area, but I went onto the LAEC's website. Traditional Equitation School (http://www.traditionaleq.com/) operates out of their facility, and offers riding lessons. All of the pertinent information (prices, location, etc.) are posted there. FYI, they also have a Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Tradi...ol/95160205389) and Twitter account (https://twitter.com/lahorseriding). I would get into contact with them for further information.

Best of luck to your client's daughter!

Not knocking LAEC but please visit before booking. People either like it or they hate it regardless of which training operation they choose to affiliate with-and there are several operating out of the facility at any given time.

Thats true of anyplace, of course-look first and look at others to compare.

I always found it fine to show at (back when of course) but way too busy with so many different operations sharing the ring space, a general public riding stable and looky loo foot traffic. Challenging traffic wise too. And, even for LA, pricey for what you get. That 5 year old can be accomodated at something less then top H/J rates.

I always preferred a smaller operation in a quieter location where more personal attention and schedualing flexibility is possible. There are plenty of those.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I believe there is an LA Children's Equeatrian Center. *Where* in la is she? Because la is a catch-all term.

There's a LA Children's Riding Center in Sun Valley (about 10 miles north on the 5).

It's been a couple years since I was in LA, but the riding school at LAEC is big and not always well-staffed. Plus the facility is very busy. I know Nancy Frost does a lot with kids and ponies but I think she's still at LAEC.

I don't ever really recall seeing a lot of little kids on horses around LA. Hansen Dam may have a trainer who can accommodate and it's a bit quieter (about 10 miles north on the 5, close to sun valley). The Paddock is just down the street from LAEC and is a bit quieter. There are quite a few instructors there that may be able to teach a five year old.

There's Elvenstar but that's miles away from the middle of LA...

I am not familiar with the distances, but I would contact Foxfield in Westlake Village. They have a reputation for teaching children and doing it WELL and safely.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

1 members found this post helpful.

SilverGate Farms goggle it! you won't regret it!

Thanks for the feedback. The family will be living in Toluca Lake on the Burbank border. Two houses from Riverside Dr, and 3 miles from LAEC.
    Based on that info, should they still try LAEC? What else is close? (sorry, I don't have a picture in my head of the layout, even though I've been there a couple of times.)

LAEC is definitely the closest to Toluca Lake, with trainers at The Paddock being the next closest location. For up-down lessons, TES (linked in a post above) is pretty tried and true and may be a good place to start. I started there as a small child very way back when, so I can't attest to what it's like now, but it's been around forever. There are other trainers at LAEC who have private barns, Nancy Frost being one of them. Not sure which have schoolies, etc. The Paddock is the next closest, although I'm not sure which trainers there have school horses/ponies. Karen Perlow? Snowden Clarke? Maybe someone else can chime in. I haven't been to The Paddock in forever.

Going north from Toluca Lake/Burbank, Foxfield in Westlake Village is to the NW, Elvenstar is farther north than that (30-ish miles), and SilverGate that was mentioned is even farther north (40 miles). There's also trainers at Hansen Damn which is directly north of Toluca Lake, 20 miles or so.

It depends on how much your friend wants to spend, how much time they want to commit for their daughter and if they want to start with a basic program and move onto show barn/lease/purchase later on. Lots of options.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Given the location I'd start with TES at LAEC and see how it goes. The OP's client doesn't have a horse so it's not like they'd be making a huge commitment. So, if doesn't work logistically or equestrially, they can easily go elsewhere.

The person's mom in Cerritos is Carolyn Biava: http://firstfieldfarm.com/fff4about%20us.html
    But that would be a heck of a drive.

Just trying to drive 3 miles east on Pico Blvd at the wrong time can take you 30 minutes or more.
    The Evil Chem Prof