The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Learning to Love the Unpredictable

My mare is unrideable for an uncertain amount of time which leaves me with only two choices. Ride DH's ApHC gelding, or not ride at all. The only lesson barns in my area are very cliche-ish hunter barns and for my own sanity I can't go that route.

Here is the issue with the gelding. He's young, green, and not exactly an easy ride if you're asking him to do more than walk on a trail ride. If he gets bored he'll rear up, if he gets frustrated he'll rear up. And he requires at least a 20 minute lunging session to work the attitude out before I get on him.

So how do you guys deal with riding the horse who isn't the love of your riding life, and unpredictable as well?
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraine View Post
    My mare is unrideable for an uncertain amount of time which leaves me with only two choices. Ride DH's ApHC gelding, or not ride at all. The only lesson barns in my area are very cliche-ish hunter barns and for my own sanity I can't go that route.

Here is the issue with the gelding. He's young, green, and not exactly an easy ride if you're asking him to do more than walk on a trail ride. If he gets bored he'll rear up, if he gets frustrated he'll rear up. And he requires at least a 20 minute lunging session to work the attitude out before I get on him.

So how do you guys deal with riding the horse who isn't the love of your riding life, and unpredictable as well?
    Have you thought of sending him to a trainer to have someone work with him? To me rearing is a very dangerous behavior and should be quickly fixed.

I would pick no riding over that. Like the previous poster said he needs to go to a trainer and get it taken care of. Not worth the risk of injury. Scary to think of you lunging him for twenty minutes to work out his attitude and he still rears when asked for more than a walk. I am half afraid to ask what he is like if you don't lunge.

1 members found this post helpful.

Life is too short for bad horses.

Do you keep your horses at home? Perhaps you can find a care-lease situation to get you though until your mare is better.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameraine View Post
    Ummmm don't ride it.

I'm at the point in my life where, if I don't *like* riding the horse I'm riding.... I just don't ride.

One with such a propensity to rear is just tempting fate.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Sorry if I'm overstepping, but if he's young and green his "attitude" is most likely related to a lack of education. It sounds a little like you are already loaded for bear when you ride him, and getting on expecting a fight is neither safe nor productive.

So I see 3 options.

A) take this opportunity as a personal challenge to see not what you can get out of your ride on DH's horse, but instead what you can help him get out of it. Teach him, help him become an educated riding horse. Not the easy solution for sure, but may improve both of you in the process. Enlist the help of someone that can give you good guidance and revel in the little milestones as they come.

B) Send young man off to be properly started before he develops any more bad habits.

C) Take a riding hiatus.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/

I do not ride horses known to rear... it's not worth it. They can easily become horses that fall over if they go up and become unbalanced.

I agree with ACMEeventing.
    Might I add you need to pick one choice and stick with it.
    Don't decide to start the little bugger right, and then give up when he ticks you off- that's just going to encourage his attitude.
    And if you sit back and think about his training and you see holes...perhaps it is best to take care of those now- either send him off to a trainer or if you are comfortable enough with a greenie, then reeducate him yourself. It seems that if you are having to lunge him 20 mins every ride and he still gets a "tude" when pushed to do more than a walk you aren't doing him any favors regarding his education.
    It can't be fun to work him like this, so send him off or start over with him yourself...make sure you know he has a solid grasp of the basics before you push further and you get hurt. JMHO
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

Every horse is unpredictable, 5 yr olds esp so. NOT every horse is a rearer. Don't ride.

I think I just wanted validation that I'm not really being a chicken versus in reality being cautious with my own safety. He is a nice horse once he's working regularly but I'm an AA with a full time job and sometimes can't ride for a couple of weeks. My mare I left for almost a year when I was deployed came back and hopped right on her and she was her mostly angel self. If she's going to be bad, with the exception of the occasional freak spook, she will telegraph that she's got naughty intentions before she attempts them. The gelding not so much. I guess I just wanted to feel justified in saying yes there is still a rideable horse in my pasture but I'm not comfortable with him, and I don't need to get on him. I just feel so frustrated because I came back from an injury last winter, got my mare going from spring until the weather got too hot in the summer, and then her lameness issues started up and I'm not riding again. Thanks for the support guys.
    "But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep." Robert Frost

Eventing at Midnight Blog
    http://eventingmidnight.blogspot.com/

You are DEFINITELY not being a wimp! I WON'T ride something that goes up. Just not worth it at all. Life is FAR too short, and I've only got the one body (that I've broken too many times already!) *hugs* I know breaks are hard! I'd consider looking for maybe a free lease of something fun to ride while your mare heals, if that is an option?

Sorry about your predicament OP, that's just stinky. Fingers crossed that you find a way to be (safely) in the saddle again.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Cotton would fight.
    http://buildingthegrove.blogspot.com/