The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shipping a horse long distance in a slant?

I am having an impossible time finding a shipper to ship a horse from New England to the Midwest. I had a response from a shipper with an 8 horse slant trainer (not a stock but enclosed). It is a large horse (16.2h) so assuming they do stop as often as stated to water and rest the horses, are there really any issues compared to a box stall on a commercial shipper? I may need to look at other options or I will never get this horse here.

I sold a horse, 16.2, who was shipped to Ohio from CA in a 10 horse slant. He arrived sick and stressed. This is a link to a recent study on shipping which gives some pretty strong evidence that there is a significant difference between shipping in a box stall and shipping tied. http://www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/vetext...rt-hr03oct.pdf
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I have had quite a few horses shipped from out east and down south up here to WI. And almost all of them have been shipped in a slant and some arrive good others stressed. I have found that it depends on the shipper and how often they offer water etc. I have also had horses shipped in a box stall that aren't in great condition.

First, I wouldn't want my horse in a slant. Every action of the trailer means horse weights his right front to hold himself in place. That leg and hoof get way over-used during the miles of riding. I have seen horses come off lame, riding in slant load trailers after long hauls, multi-state rides. The other big deal is that horse only will rest against the butt wall, with one cheek. Since horse, with butt end, is not a shaped like a trapazoid, he can't use all the sides and corners of his trailer stall. Just has the front wall divider and the right butt cheek against the rear wall to hold himself upright. And horse learns quickly to hug that right side divider during travel. Horse rides in an unnatural body position, so they often end up body sore as well as RT front leg sore.

Both the above problems are STILL true in a double stall slant. Sorry, I would NOT ship my horse in a slant load trailer. You have even more issues if he is a large horse. The trailer maker measures those stalls kitty-corner, from one corner to the OPPOSITE corner to show the most length. Horse can't use that length, but STALL IS BIG when you ask them! I couldn't even get the divider fastened on my big-bodied, long-necked horses. They were cramped in a double stall, face and butt crushed flat on the trailer walls, just standing still! Certainly couldn't be taking them down the road smashed against front, rear and side wall of that stall!! We bought a straight load trailer, horses fit with spare room on every side.

Nation Wide Horse Transportation hauls from New England to the Midwest, uses air-ride with straight stalls. We have used them a few times, horses have always arrived in good shape. They called often to tell us of progress and how the horse was doing. They might be late arriving, but that was fine by us, we knew it ahead. They have had some interesting reasons, which I enjoyed hearing! Some were about difficult-to-load animals, ours or other folks horses. You couldn't make that stuff up, way too weird!! Handlers have always been skilled, bringing us never-loaded weanlings and older horses. The folks at the pick-up end all had great things to say about how nicely they got the "problem horse" on the truck with just coaxing.

We would sure use them again.

http://www.nwht.net/

Thanks. Nationwide does not ship where I need to have this horse hauled, I have called 10-15 places. One well known company has me penciled in but they have left me high and dry before so am calling around looking for other shippers. Yes, I was concerned about hauling a larger horse in a slant!

I have shipped horses back and forth from Mid-west to northeast (most recently 1 horse from MA to OK) and never had any problems with horses in a double-slant, although I prefer box stalls and now that my guy is older I insist on it.

Where are you trying to go? I had quotes from a ton of companies - ended up using Cox Equine Transport and was very happy with them, got my horse here extremely fast and were easy to deal with.
    OTTB owner.

Yes, I have hauled as far as Maryland to Colorado and back in a slant. Horses did wonderfully. I far prefer a slant to a straight load.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

Shipping from MA to MO. No one will go this route (Cox, Bob Hubbard, Nationwide, Creech, C and E, Beacon Hill, and a bunch of others I have forgotten by now). I have shipped from NJ to Mo several times and it was never a big deal like New England seems to be. Maybe it is the economy, less horses selling/shipping, harder to fill a load?

A friend and I brought Patrick (16.2-ish and w-i-d-e) and a couple of mules from Arizona to Georgia in a 4-horse slant.

He lived.

It would have been nice for him to have more room, but this is the way it worked best for him to get here.

Years ago Cox brought my Appy from Kentucky to Arizona in a slant load... that worked fine also.

-Wendy
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

This is really not a problem. If the shipper is otherwise professional then do it.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

I just shipped my mare from MI to VA in a slant. She was on the trailer for 18 hours. Came off just the same as she has in a box stall from TX to MI, IA to TX. Another COTHer had her horse on the same trailer from OH to VA, don't think he had any issues. If you're worried about stiffness, I'd give some bute before loading up. Stopping for gas and to offer a drink is enough of a break. I personally would rather see them get from point A to point B rather than overnighting in the trailer if possible, but that's just me.

I would RATHER ship my horse(s) in a box stall on an air ride but I honestly saw no difference in my mare's behavior between hauling in one vs the other long distance. She's 22 and a road warrior at this point.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Could you get him shipped with one of the nicer big names to somewhere nearby? Even a state away? And you could go pick him up yourself from as close as they will deliver?

Well, what are the available routes from MA? What's the closest location you can get him, in a box stall? Do they go to Lexington KY for example? Find an overnight stable there--the vast COTH network might be able to help with that-- and then hire a different one to pick him up for the shorter hop over to MO. You could do a slant load if needed for the shorter second leg of the trip. More handoffs and I'm sure more cost, but if a long trip via slant load is a big concern than this might be a viable option.

1 members found this post helpful.

You should be able to find someone doing it as two legs- home to nyc/nj- then a big rig out to the midwest. My top three shippers are Judge Manning, WJ Barry, and Nobody's Business Farm/Kevin Hennessey. If you haven't tried them, give it a shot.

Thanks! I was lucky to find a load coming from MA to the Midwest, after spending all day on the phone. I was trying to get him to NJ since I have contacts there but they ended up being able to get him to the Midwest. But it was sheer luck, not a big name shipper but it all checked out.