The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barnsby Grip Pad vs. Success vs. EcoGold for the picnic table horse

I just got my saddle fitted to my flat backed horse, finally, and while it fits him great and he is happy, I'm finding it hard to keep the saddle in place side to side at times. He's big and flat with very little wither and huge shoulders. Part of the problem is my girth (too stretchy), but getting that fixed with a new one with less stretchiness on the way.

Saddle fitter suggested an EcoGold pad, but I've seen the Success ones are cheaper, and then the Barnsby one looks interesting too. Any comparisons any of you can offer? I don't want too thick as saddle fits now with a regular thickness pad. I also hate those separate neoprene pads that go underneath, so don't want to do that. And I'm a clean freak, so no matter what I get, it has to be washable. Thoughts?

I has the Barnsby, gave it away because none of the horses were happy in it. I have an Ecogold pad and their half pad and I love them both.

horsepoor is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I has the Barnsby, gave it away because none of the horses were happy in it. I have an Ecogold pad and their half pad and I love them both.
    What do you think was the issue with the Barnsby? Is it thicker or ? I don't want to get too thick as I don't want to change the saddle fit now that it is good.

I had a Barnsby and I loved it. It was the wrong shape for my saddle, so I eventually stopped using it when I got a custom pad. I don't remember that it was very thick -- it's a standard cotton quilted pad with the shelf-liner type material on the bottom and a layer of neoprene on top that's maybe 1/2" thick.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorseLittleHorse View Post
    I had a Barnsby and I loved it. It was the wrong shape for my saddle, so I eventually stopped using it when I got a custom pad. I don't remember that it was very thick -- it's a standard cotton quilted pad with the shelf-liner type material on the bottom and a layer of neoprene on top that's maybe 1/2" thick.
    Curious how the shape was wrong, as I hope not to run into that problem with whatever I get. Was it due to saddle size or flap too forward or?

I have the Success pad that is noted as comparable to the Ecogold pad. I LOVE it. It fits my slightly forward flap 17" County Stabilizer perfectly and I've not once had an issue with sliding. I don't think it's too thick. It is certainly thicker than my think quilted cotton pad, but not as thick as my square fluffy Roma pad. It doesn't affect the saddle fit on my horses. I've never had an issue with it sliding (although I have two TB's that I use it on for shows). I *think* it has the grippy stuff on the top of the pad with the fleece trim around the outside, and the grippy stuff all on the bottom. I haven't had it move the tiniest bit. My horses only wear it for shows and so they are always super clean when they wear it, so I haven't had a problem with it getting dirty. When I do wash it though, it comes out really nice and looking brand new again! Even after my black and gray cats used it as a sleeping pad for months before I even put it on a horse...oops. Since the underside isn't all fleece, you don't have to worry about it getting too dirty. I also haven't had my horses sweat badly underneath it. Just a nice pad, in my opinion.

Here are two pictures: one and two .

Aren't the Ecogolds pretty thick?

Everyone at my barn uses the Barnsby pad and we love it! A couple girls use to use the EcoGolds and Success, but have now all switched to barnsby. I think they are all pricey, but the barnsby has really held up with everyday use better than expected.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Curious how the shape was wrong, as I hope not to run into that problem with whatever I get. Was it due to saddle size or flap too forward or?
    Oh, it wasn't anything wrong with the pad. My saddle has unusually shaped flaps (kind of between dressage and AP), which is why I eventually had to go custom.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

I have just been researching this very issue and am happy to have found this thread.

The Success pad seems to be really nice EXCEPT that the reviews generally agreed that, even the large size was a little too small.

Crown Royal, I can see that your saddle is sitting on the fluffy edge of the pad in back. What size saddle and what size pad do you have? I have an 18" saddle and a 17.1 monster horse.

I will go and re-research the EcoGold and Barnsby pads.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

Original Poster

I wonder if I can find all three at one store, order them all and see them for real, and return the rejects? Since VTO Saddlery has the Success pads and will (I hope) do their Black Friday sale, I might start with that one since it is cheap. They also have the EcoGold...long as it isn't excluded from the sale.

Decisions, decisions...!

I do have one of the Ogilvy baby pads that are supposed to be sort of no slip, but it wasn't enough for this horse.