The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A Coat For Christmas

So my awesomeness of a hubby, is going all horsey for me this Christmas. And Since next year I will get the chance to actually go BN (for me this is a big deal, LOL ) He's willing to get me a coat that I can use for Dressage. Now I'm really in LOVE with the Spooks Clothing.

My question is would this Jacket be Ok to use in both Dressage and SJ? Mostly local, maybe one or two recognized events a year nothing to big. I mostly compete in local anyways. I'm hoping that I could use this coat for both Dressage and Show Jumping, most of the stuff that I attend anyways we ride our XC gear to SJ.

Spooks Show Jacket

I'd say yes. It's quite sharp, while still being in the conservative range.

I don't think I'd buy it if I was looking for just one coat. While I think it's likely within the rules (though subject to interpretation), and the piping is a striking touch, it will certainly stand out as an unconventional choice. Eventing isn't all that fashion oriented, but there's something to be said about going into the dressage ring in something fairly classic looking, particularly when you're starting out.

Plus, if you do local hunter shows at all (we take our baby event horses to them all the time), I think you might get looked at with a bit more disfavor. A plain navy or black coat, or even one with a light windowpane or pinstripe would be acceptable across a variety of disciplines.