The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cat Dentistry ~ jingles please

My 12 year old cat has gum disease. A couple of weeks ago we noticed one of her upper canines jutting forward a bit. It didn't seem to bother her and she was eating fine so I've just been watching it. This weekend it looks worse and some of the root is exposed. Last night she was sort of fiddling with it so this morning I made her an appointment for Wednesday.

I'm thinking it may just be a matter of grabbing it with the forceps and helping it out, but I'm not woman enough to try the string and the door knob technique. I was always a sissy when it came to that. I hate to have her put under for full extraction but if it comes to that so be it, and we'll get her teeth cleaned at the same time of course.

Any advice or words of caution going into this?
    Last edited by SmartAlex; Nov. 15, 2012 at 08:31 PM.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Years and years ago I inherited my aunt and uncle's Burmese, "Brownie" (I know, how original). They never fed him dry food. (They cooked for him. Mostly he ate kidneys.) When I got him, his teeth were SO bad that he lost half of them the first dental cleaning. (He lost the other half on his second dental cleaning, he was left with only his enormous fangs.)

He did fine after that. He was 9 when I got him. As long as your kitteh isn't at risk for anesthesia I'd say let the chips fall where they fall.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

1 members found this post helpful.

Saw this and thought I would respond. I have a 13 year old cat who NEVER chews her food, EVER. 3 years ago I had her first teeth cleaning done, She builds lots of tartar in the back teeth. Procedure was a breeze, No ill effects, But had her done again a year ago, I figure about once a year. Vet said lots of cats do not chew.. Weird. I was glad I had it done however because it will only get worse without treatment!.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Cat's teeth are very deep rooted. In the chance that your cat's loose tooth is still connected to the root, I would definitely not get involved with a string/doorknob extraction. Some vets won't deal with cat's teeth because they can require special equipment to remove. Hopefully your cat will be fine after his dental procedure.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

I had one cat's teeth cleaned twice - she just was one of those who built up tarter. Her full sister never had a problem.

Well worth it. Teeth issues can lead to heart issues. If it's in the budget at all, I'd get her mouth taken care of, full cleaning while she's under.

2 members found this post helpful.

"Fang" is on her antibiotics and scheduled for a cleaning/extraction on Friday.

"Prozac Kitty" went along because she was due for a blood panel and since we were scrutinizing teeth, we noticed that she is now missing a lower canine although no one ever noticed, and apparently she didn't either.
    Why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?
    ~ Dave Barry

Hope all goes well!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Our older kitty who cannot go under anesthesia, had some tartar build up on her teeth last year. I took her in to the vet for another reason and mentioned the tartar and anesthesia problem to the vet. She looked in her mouth and felt that her gums looked healthy, so she took her thickened, gnarly thumbnail and just popped it right off. I have never seen anything like that before and was really happy for the easy solution.

I hope everything goes well with your cat!

I hope so too. The loose tooth is becoming infected and really needs to come out. There is a second tooth that probably will not be salvagable.

She has always been healthy but puglet's experience has me more worried than normal. We just don't want to leave that infected tooth in there, let her lose more weight (she's down about half a pound) and risk letting her decline. I think it's tougher when you are trying preventative care and you lose them unexpectedly. It really makes you question your options.

All things considered, it's a relatively peaceful way to go, but I'm not ready to lose my kitty-kids.
    ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Crackerdog View Post
    Our older kitty who cannot go under anesthesia, had some tartar build up on her teeth last year. I took her in to the vet for another reason and mentioned the tartar and anesthesia problem to the vet. She looked in her mouth and felt that her gums looked healthy, so she took her thickened, gnarly thumbnail and just popped it right off. I have never seen anything like that before and was really happy for the easy solution.

I hope everything goes well with your cat!
    I have done the same. Or used dental rongeurs. Sometimes there's just this wad of tartar that's built up but not impacting the gum at all and you can almost "flick" it off with the right angle.

Came home to find kitty NQR and painful. Yesterday rounding her up for the vet my husband said he had to grab her by the scruff and peel her off the carpet. THen she squeezed out of the cage door.

Came home today and she is very painful (tried to pick her up). Lethargic (perhaps from antibiotics). Waiting for a call back from the vet now.

~ Dave Barry

She may be laying in an uncomfortable lump on the desk, but at least she's interested in my dinner on the run!
    ~ Dave Barry

Home again.

So thankful our usual vet was on call and in the office dealing with another emergency. She checked her over for me. Kitty is sore, frumpy and pissed off, but no major injuries.

She flexed, palpated and pinched just fine. We determined she is sore in her left hip and that it is an injury consistent with squeezing through a crate door which wasn't actually open.

She will be going back first thing in the morning for another evaluation.

This animal parenthood thing can be so stressful! Time for wine.
    ~ Dave Barry

Jingles from me and my 4 here in Massachusetts!
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Poor Kitty

Jingles for both of you!

Sending happy thoughts for your kitty!

Yes, kitty parenthood can be super stressful. Hang in there.

Thank you everyone!

We're home and eating. My sister works at the vet hospital, but it was our "girl's day" shopping spree. She knew how stressed I was so she had her coworker text her when Vivi was awake so I could begin to enjoy our day. Hubby picked her up when she was ready to come home.

Two teeth out. She's on pain meds now and has a sparkle in her eye. I think with those teeth out she will be feeling much better.

Puglet, I'm so sorry you lost your kitty this week. You don't know how heavy that was weighing on my heart with all this happening.
    ~ Dave Barry

So glad things went well for your girl. Those kitty-kids sure do steal your heart!

I'm so glad it went well. Such a relief!

Glad your kitty is ok. Thought I'd add that they do FINE with missing teeth. Despite regular vet care, my one cat has the worst teeth. Every year she got a couple out... the last time I realized she basically has only the fangs left. Doesn't stop her from eating wet and dry food and carrying a nice furry belly. She doesn't seem to miss the teeth! Better gone than painful and rotted!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/