The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Jeffries dressage saddle

There is a really nice looking Jeffries dressage saddle on eBay that has been re-listed numerous times now due to not selling. I am eyeballing it as it fits all my specifications, but I am curious as to why such a nice looking saddle hasn't sold yet. The price is very reasonable, and it looks almost new. Is there anything anybody can tell me about the Jeffries saddles?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I went and looked at it. My guess is because they are doing one of those stupid "reserve" auctions. If you bid the $400 you won't win it, you have to guess how much they will take for it.

I've also never heard of a Jeffries saddle. My mobile is distorting the images so I can't get a true feel for the saddle's quality.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Yeah, it sounds like somebody else I know tried to bid, but her bid was canceled and then the saddle was relisted. Seems kind of fishy to me. I hate when they set the starting bid lower than their reserve too.
    The Blog

I have an older Jeffries dressage saddle and I really like it. It is a high quality brand--one of the Walsall saddleries. I tried to sell mine on ebay for practically nothing and didn't get any bids. So I am going to keep it. It doesn't fit my eventer, but it does fit my older horse. So I use it to work on my position while hacking!
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

I LOVE my Jeffries falcon hawk eventing saddle!

I tried a new Jeffries this past summer. I liked it a lot. Made in England (Walsall). Good quality leather. Good tree. I may buy one next summer when my horse has developed a little more.

I suspect no one buys them because not many people know about them.

I have a Jeffries Dressage saddle. Really beautiful leather, super comfortable, fits my horse perfect and worked out far better than other big name saddles I trialed at the time. I got mine for a great price and would get another in a heartbeat if I needed a new saddle. Had a few people ride in it and they loved it too!

The more I read on them, the more they sound like a lot of people are very happy with their saddle. Anybody want to clue me in on what body type the fit?
    The Blog

The saddle looks nice, but are you comfortable buying a saddle without a return option? I think since you trying to find something that works for you and your mare you may want to limit it to saddles you can return if they don't or something you can afford to get and possibly take a hit if you resell it for less or it takes awhile to sell. Just my thoughts based on my saddle hunting experience.

Have you checked with Rick's Heritage Saddlery- www.saddlesource.com? They tend to have a good selection you can trial and their prices are reasonable. Just a thought because you seem to really want to find the right saddle for you and your horse.

Happy riding,
    Jessie and the Stinky Pony aka Bosco

Quote Originally Posted by chebeau View Post
    The saddle looks nice, but are you comfortable buying a saddle without a return option? I think since you trying to find something that works for you and your mare you may want to limit it to saddles you can return if they don't or something you can afford to get and possibly take a hit if you resell it for less or it takes awhile to sell. Just my thoughts based on my saddle hunting experience.
    Well there isn't a lot in my area as far as tack stores unless you have 1k+ to spend, so at the very least I would be paying for shipping back and forth on a saddle, and that could add up quickly.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by chebeau View Post
    Have you checked with Rick's Heritage Saddlery- www.saddlesource.com? They tend to have a good selection you can trial and their prices are reasonable. Just a thought because you seem to really want to find the right saddle for you and your horse.

Happy riding,
    Jessie and the Stinky Pony aka Bosco
    Yep I do! A happy pony makes me happy. She is very picky about her saddles.
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    The more I read on them, the more they sound like a lot of people are very happy with their saddle. Anybody want to clue me in on what body type the fit?

I got a m-w for my wb, who is not particularly hard to fit

I have a MW Jeffries Elite, which is a jumping saddle, and have used a MW Jeffries Flyover, which is a monoflap XC saddle, both of which I love.

Fit wise, it was bought for my young TB who had ENORMOUS shoulders and quite a wither. This made him hard to fit. The panels are fairly flat and worked well with his short-coupled, but not banana shaped back.

When the TB was put down, it miraculously fit my Paint/TB as well. He was narrow as can be when we got him, and since then has put on muscle. I love these saddles, they are quality and ride with great balance (or at least the jumping ones do!)

Here are confo pictures of my guys, to give you an idea about their backs.

TB, in 2009: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6260015_n.jpg

TB/Paint

In 2011, when the saddle fit him: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot..._4590937_n.jpg

In 2012, when the saddle still fit him: https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09737649_n.jpg

I have a Jeffries Elite dressage (one on the long list of dressage saddles I need to sell). It is a lovely saddle, traditional Walsall type with wool flocking, high quality, but not butter-soft leather, and good fit on my easy to fit Medium tree TB
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

I have a 1987 Jeffries dressage saddle, no real "model", that I adore. It fits me perfectly. It's nice quality leather, and this one looks like it's been USED. The only real wear is right where your calves would sit, which is to be expected on a saddle with that much use. The rest of the leather is still pristine.

Mine would definitely fit a TB type best. It won't fit a really flat back, as it will rock on my Arab and my Luso cross, but it'll fit your average horse just fine. The twist is quite narrow, which I love but some people and some horses cannot handle.

I find that many people don't know the brand, so that's why they can be had for a song. But I would absolutely recommend one. If you're anywhere near me, or you want to pay shipping to and from, you're welcome to try mine. It's a W tree, but I built foam panels for mine to fit my mare instead of the wool since she likes foam better. She's retired and I keep meaning to reflock it or something, but I don't have anything it fits right now. For some reason, I can't bring myself to sell it though.

Skyedragon,

Did you finally find a saddle for your cute mare? Just wondering.

Not yet, though I did decide to pass on this saddle and stick to brands I know (wintec, collegiate, toulouse).
    The Blog