The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default *Good* Saddle Fitters in Ocala?

I have an '06 Butet in pristine condition that has recently started squeaking...loudly. I am no expert on cracked trees, but it feels like something is seriously amiss beneath my right thigh. Before I package it up and send it to Beval, I wanted to have a saddle fitter take a closer look at it and make sure that something isn't just loose. The saddle belongs to my semi-retired jumper who has been laid up for almost 10 months, so it's hard to say when this might have started as I haven't really ridden in the saddle since late January. It's been sitting in a climate controlled tack room and I've cleaned/conditioned/oiled it regularly just as though it's been in use. I'm so hoping that this is not the case because it is by far my favorite saddle!

Any recommendations would be great. If it's not cracked, I'd like to have it reflocked as my horse's back has changed, so someone who is good with reflocking wool panels is a must.

Thanks!!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Before you do anything to alter the saddle you should return it to Beval to make sure that there is not something wrong with it. If you alter it and there is something wrong with it you may have voided the warranty.

Warrenty on the tree expired already. Like I said, I need someone good to determine if the tree is broken before I spend the money shipping it all the way to Beval or waiting until I head down to WEF. The saddle was converted to wool immediately after I purchased it in '06, I won't own a foam flocked saddle.
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

Not sure about Ocala, but Stockman's in Orlando is FANTASTIC.
    The rebel in the grey shirt

I second the opinion for Stockman's in Orlando. Bob is so great- ethical and professional. You can UPS the saddle there for like $20 overnight ground.
    www.pinkhorseperformance.com
    Begin as you mean to continue.

1 members found this post helpful.

The first thing I would check is that the screws under the pommel and cantle that hold the panels secure are tight. Usually a philips head. If your saddle was stored or ridden around in a car on its pommel sometimes the screw backs out.

Then I would place the cantle into your hips, grab both sides of the pommel and evenly apply pressure back towards your hips. Does either side "flex" more than the other. A little even flex is fine. Uneven or excessive flex is not.

With your saddle either on a solid saddle stand or while on your horse press down on the pommel and see if if moves as if it s spreading.

Hopefully it will just be the screw needing tightened but if it flexes I would just send it out.