The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Chances are, however, that you have really good legs and those are "for free." I got comments on my still legs from a dressage judge once. Battle conditions with a spooky horse who didn't want to go forward to C and those vice grips clamped on naturally.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Lucassb is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster
    Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Quote Originally Posted by mvp View Post
    Chances are, however, that you have really good legs and those are "for free." I got comments on my still legs from a dressage judge once. Battle conditions with a spooky horse who didn't want to go forward to C and those vice grips clamped on naturally.
    Ah, yes... I can well imagine The natural vice grip is a life skill !
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I thought it was Hi-larious that I thought a set of W-T-C at three successive and then a 15m circle at A (cantering) was a challenge.

Really? That bit of first level was too quick for me? OMG.

Oh, and if you don't think you can do straightness now while being competitive, wait until you have a judge at B, too. Nowhere to hide!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Original Poster

I thought it was Hi-larious that I thought a set of W-T-C at three successive and then a 15m circle at A (cantering) was a challenge.

Really? That bit of first level was too quick for me? OMG.

Oh, and if you don't think you can do straightness now while being competitive, wait until you have a judge at B, too. Nowhere to hide!
    Oh yeah, I can see that we will be working on all sorts of things this winter, LOL. We have a lot to learn about that "simple" WTC work.

But I was so encouraged by the comments we got from the judge over the weekend. She wrote, "SUPER horse, going to be a star" in the notes on our second test, and gave him high marks for the quality of his gaits. I figure that means once I learn to ride better, we should be in good shape.
    -PaulaEdwina

Lucassb, I've been out of H/Jdom for double the years I've been riding dressage, and my toes STILL turn out at the canter. I don't know how--my leg doesn't move, it's right against the flaps, but my ankle and foot end up pointing out. Can I replicate it on the ground? Nope. It just *happens.*

It will take time but you'll get there! Have fun!

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by BigBayHanoMare View Post
    Lucassb, I've been out of H/Jdom for double the years I've been riding dressage, and my toes STILL turn out at the canter. I don't know how--my leg doesn't move, it's right against the flaps, but my ankle and foot end up pointing out. Can I replicate it on the ground? Nope. It just *happens.*

It will take time but you'll get there! Have fun!
    Well, I'm glad to know I am not the only one, LOL. But it seems I will have to work hard on that... it appears in every photo:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...eeF1T2copy.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Spree F1 T2 copy.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	175.8 KB 
ID:	37171  
    Last edited by Lucassb; Nov. 13, 2012 at 10:08 PM.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    O

But I was so encouraged by the comments we got from the judge over the weekend. She wrote, "SUPER horse, going to be a star" in the notes on our second test, and gave him high marks for the quality of his gaits. I figure that means once I learn to ride better, we should be in good shape.
    You did good with Nice Black Horse even before your defection to dressage. It's true that a nice, broke horse is a nice, broke horse horse anywhere.

Switching disciplines is a great test of the rider and training put in. It's super gratifying to be able to make the switch and see what tools you had, eh?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Original Poster

You did good with Nice Black Horse even before your defection to dressage. It's true that a nice, broke horse is a nice, broke horse horse anywhere.

Switching disciplines is a great test of the rider and training put in. It's super gratifying to be able to make the switch and see what tools you had, eh?
    Did good or got lucky, LOL... one of the two, anyway. He's such a fun horse to ride. And he's been like that since I got him at four - he's always trying to do the right thing. I have to say it was fun when people at the show learned it was our first time out. I'd like to think we helped some people set aside some of their (mis)perceptions of how we put the flatwork on our hunters.
    -PaulaEdwina