The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ways to keep hot spot from starting?

My JRT came home from doggy daycare with a small abrasion on her leg, which is pretty common as she likes to play hard. It didn't look like much at all, but she's been licking and chewing at it, and I'm afraid it might become a hot spot if she keeps working at it. Is there anything I can put on there to deter her or other ideas? Not keen on putting her in the cone of shame unless she just won't leave it alone. Mostly just interrupting her if she works on it is working when we are around, but not able to do that all the time. Can't wrap it either (I have some of that no chew vet wrap) because if the location. Ideas?

How about the donut of shame?

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/100555...ws/reviews.htm

Wrapping isnt recommended, as you want the area to be open and dry out.

I have used Dermaplast spray; it works GREAT on small abrasions or very early stage hotspots. (Vet OK'd this, by the way, saying just to watch for any possible allergic reaction). It helps heal, protects, and evidently does not taste very good as Lance, my one dog who does try to start a hot spot once in a while, leaves it alone after it's been sprayed.

Have recommended to a few other dog people as well and all of them were pleased.

I would NOT use it on an established hot spot - those need vet Tx, as I'm sure most people here know.

I've used it on myself as well, and it doesn't sting or burn.

I've had good success with ear powder that has idoform in it. Idoform is an antibiotic and the powder dries things up. It must not taste very good or the powder is soothing in nature, because my poodle stops licking almost from the moment I put it on.
    Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

I've used Gold Bond Medicated Powder... dries it up and they don't want to lick it. Blech
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

horsepoor is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

Thanks, all. She's been leaving it alone now...hopefully it resolves itself. How do I know it has gone from simple abrasion to hot spot (i.e., when do I take to vet?)? I'm thinking not seeing her licking it is a good sign, and it looks kind of dry and scabby now.

A hot spot is raw and oozing. If it's dry and not oozing or red, then it's fine.

The person who suggested Gold Bond Powder is right; it works wonders.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry