The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else have a digger horse??

Sammy gets a wild hair every now and then, runs up and down the pasture from end to end at top speed, stops and proceeds to dig a hole. Like a dog would, first one leg/hoof and then the other leg/hoof.

I've watched him, thinking he might be trying to colic, nope, he just likes to dig. He's done this for quite a while, several months.

We have some mutha holes in the pasture now but no one has fallen in, so far.

I've not had a horse do THIS. What causes it? He just feels so good with good feed/hay and knows he's something else?? Anyone else's horse dig holes??
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Our old guy dug himself a wallowing pond down near our creek after several months of daily digging. It fills with water most of the year. When the weather is hot, he immerses himself until he is completely covered with mud.

I have several, but the one especially liked to dig when younger. He's better now that he's older and (maybe) wiser, but he used to make huge holes in the pastures and paddocks. At one barn, they had this handyman/gardener that kept things perfect - I mean, the place was landscaped just so, and super clean (private barn). I drove up one time to see my horse on one side of his shelter in the pasture, furiously digging a hole. Handyman was at other end of shelter, just as furiously shoveling dirt back in to the previous hole. Then they switched, handyman filling new hole, horse back digging up the just filled one... It was absolutely comical! I bet that guy just hated my horse!

I have one. I almost killed myself the other day, tripping into a hole. I changed her around from a solo paddock to a bigger pasture with another mare and I haven't noticed any new holes.

She is also a big eater and gets very excited at mealtime. When I got her, she was starved, one of those where you could see every rib, the spine from withers to tail, concave between spine and hip bone. I think she was just so anxious about eating that she would paw, but the weird thing is that she didn't always dig at the gate; there was another spot farther into her paddock where she like to dig. Like I say, she seems to have stopped. Now I just am dealing with her eating fast and eating all her food and then joining the other mare who eats slowly and as a result, lost a bunch of weight. I've finally got her back to normal and now the piggy one is looking kinda fat. It's always something.

Petey does the same when he gets a hair across his ass. If there's something to run around about...it's more fun to run in mad circles, sliding stop, spin/buck/fart, HUGE snort and then dig madly at the ground for a few minutes before restarting the whole funny sequence.

He does the same at turn-in time...runs up to the fence when he sees me coming and proceeds to walk back to the barn next to me but stopping every other step to dig a quick hole in the ground.

In cases like this I think it's just a way to express massive excitement over something.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I couldn't get on here yesterday and couldn't read replies. But, yep, I'm guessing it's an excitement thing. I do have to watch where I'm walking because these holes are big enough to house a German Shepard. Deep and wide. The kind you can do a cartwheel in when you miss the first step. Just thrills Sammy's soul to do this.

Yep, it's always something with my guys... HA!

I couldn't get on here yesterday and couldn't read replies. But, yep, I'm guessing it's an excitement thing. I do have to watch where I'm walking because these holes are big enough to house a German Shepard. Deep and wide. The kind you can do a cartwheel in when you miss the first step. Just thrills Sammy's soul to do this.

Yep, it's always something with my guys... HA!