The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    Everyone has a different opinion - no need to take it personally, judy.

I like #4. Good balance, good solid build, good size, good neck tie in, and he's a gelding who already has some basic training (and a decent brain, if he's a pony horse). Give him a winter of dressage to build that topline and good food and he'll be a knockout.

He very well may be a knockout...but if you are buying for resale...he will be 8 after a winter of dressage. Around here, unless he is REALLY cheap, he will not sell. At 8...he needs to be running training level, super fancy (either on the flat or over fences) or an absolute packer to move. Now...he very well may be running training by the end of spring but you are taking more of a gamble.

Now if you are buying for yourself...He might be just fine. But for resale...2007-2009 models are what you want for this time of year...with 2008 being preferred.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

1 members found this post helpful.

I was more thinking of him as a fancy lower level ammy horse - Novice, maybe training, pretty color and probably a fancy mover and decent jumper with a good brain. Not every resale project has to be an upper level one!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    I was more thinking of him as a fancy lower level ammy horse - Novice, maybe training, pretty color and probably a fancy mover and decent jumper with a good brain. Not every resale project has to be an upper level one!

Right...but to be marketable as that, he will need a lot of show miles (or be very cheap). I wasn't even thinking UL potential. I was thinking nice LL packer or pony club mount and for that, most people like them competing above the level they are. While I personally don't mind his age....it is a strike in re-sale market.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

bfne is right.

At that age, they need miles to sell. Plain and simple. And, hell, if you're talking UL horse, at 8 he should be going 2 star....

A good re-sale prospect needs to be young, sound, with a great brain, decent movement (or the potential for it once they unwind), and the right gender and size. Plain and simple. I were out looking for something to turn over, I would be looking at 2008-2009 models right now.

2 members found this post helpful.

I stand by my opinion, 7 is not old and I wouldn't pass him over just based on age. I'd prefer a few extra years over a younger prospect that doesn't have ideal conformation or a solid brain. But, like I said in the post BFNE ironically quoted - everyone has an opinion. I don't think he would have a problem selling in my area.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

I wish I could like #3 - really I do. His face is adorable. But that's about the end of what I like about him. His wonky loin connection and lack of an engine are the most concerning.

If I had to pick, I'd go for #4. He's pretty even, good engine, overall well put together. His pasterns in the back are a touch long, but not shockingly so. I really don't think age is a huge problem, if it is one at all.

I'm not wild about either mare, but I'd pick the grey if I had to, IF she cleared my own rads...

If it were me, I'd keep looking. The only one with a good expression and big kind eye is the one with no butt and a hunters bump.
    "Capture the horse's confidence to obtain his consent." -General L'Hotte