The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    my Carhartt bibs were my best friend until I set them on fire. They still work fine, but all the fluff is falling out.
    Okay, you piqued my curiosity! Were you in them when you set them on fire?
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I got a mountain horse jacket a Christmas or two ago and LOVE it. I actually get hot in the jacket. I cant get out to ride till after work which means dark and the temperatures would be in the low 20's and I would be sweating. all I had underneath was along sleeve T-shirt and thin sweatshirt or fleece and I almost always had to take the jacket off.

Its great for riding as you also wont find yourself sitting on the jacket either. This is the one I have:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-ori...spsv45fi5dtv2w
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Okay, you piqued my curiosity! Were you in them when you set them on fire?
    Yes. I was at a Standardbred Sale at Meadowlands in January. I'd spent the whole day being dragging around by stud colts and it was bitterly cold. They had one of those big Salamander heat jobs set up, and I was standing by it to warm up. I smelled something funny, but didn't think anything of it. Then one of the other girls said "Superminion, your pants are on fire." Sure enough... flames.

I jumped up and down hysterically until one of the other grooms dragged me outside by the hair and pushed me in a snowbank.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm about the layering too-always some variation of wool, silk or down. My primary winter "coat" is a heavy weight hooded zip up Carhartt sweatshirt. When it's very cold I have a wool sweater on under it and a down vest over it. I also wear a silk scarf around my neck when it gets below zero and a wool winter hat most days. If my hands, feet and head are warm the coat is practically irrelevant. I like the sweatshirt b/c I'm on the very short easy keeper side and the combination of bulky and real Carhartt canvas means I really can't move (though I'm very warm!). Optimum chore pants when it's below zero is a pair of wool leggings under a pair of heavy sweats but if I'm in public I wear lined jeans instead of sweats.

I froze my feet hunting years ago and my hands have been too cold too many times; they'll all get cold when it doesn't seem like they should at all so I like battery socks or the thermacell foot warmers, my feet can't keep warm by themselves even when it's just 20*. http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/produ...id=14053578884 Yes they're expensive-I got them as a Christmas gift! I've had all kinds of boots, from Sorrels to Mucks to simple Adtecs.

We lived for years where January usually meant a spell of -40 PLUS windchill which usually brought it down to -60 ish... Lots of subzero weather and wind.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Yes. I was at a Standardbred Sale at Meadowlands in January. I'd spent the whole day being dragging around by stud colts and it was bitterly cold. They had one of those big Salamander heat jobs set up, and I was standing by it to warm up. I smelled something funny, but didn't think anything of it. Then one of the other girls said "Superminion, your pants are on fire." Sure enough... flames.

I jumped up and down hysterically until one of the other grooms dragged me outside by the hair and pushed me in a snowbank.
    Since you clearly lived to share...that is hysterical. I'm glad you were okay. I'm hoping your pants weren't an indication of your truth telling ability! We use a big diesel heater in the parlor and the milkers are always putting stuff too close to it. We installed air curtains this year to keep the place from going up in flames.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Carhartt or one made like it! You don't have to have a 50 pound jacket if you wear insulated coveralls. I have a Field & Forest jacket that isn't too heavy and goes well if I have coveralls on or if I have flannel lined jeans on ( sometimes both). It is just like my sons Carhartt, but not near as expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by meupatdoes View Post
    Agree with the layering. You don't want one heavy jacket that does it all.

I live in Buffalo and I wear the Land's End classic marinac jacket to the barn. Yep, that little thing.

It is windproof and water resistant.

Underneath on super cold days I have a polarfleece turtleneck, polarfleece quarter-zip henley, polar fleece sweater, and over top if it is REALLY cold a down vest. That has kept me warm into the negatives.

I love it because the whole kit and kaboodle is machine washable and with the several layers I can customize throughout the day.
    I really like that jacket! I have been having a heck of a time finding a winter jacket that I like for the weather here since it is not really that cold and we tend to get a lot more rain/sleet than really frozen precipitation. How long has yours lasted?

I have a Mountain Horse coat that is the warmest coat I've ever found. I am an absolute total wimp about cold, but two years ago my friends and I had to walk a mile and a half through downtown Buffalo in what basically amounted to a wind tunnel in 0 degree cold to go to a Sabres game, and I was cheerfully toasty.

Works well for a fine evening at home in Buffalo, too: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...3&l=9c9708bb89

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    I really like that jacket! I have been having a heck of a time finding a winter jacket that I like for the weather here since it is not really that cold and we tend to get a lot more rain/sleet than really frozen precipitation. How long has yours lasted?
    I think I bought it when I started law school, so that would put it at 2005. I have some photo bucket pics of 2005 horses where I am riding in it.

Still going strong!

Quote Originally Posted by cswoodlandfairy View Post
    I got a mountain horse jacket a Christmas or two ago and LOVE it. I actually get hot in the jacket. I cant get out to ride till after work which means dark and the temperatures would be in the low 20's and I would be sweating. all I had underneath was along sleeve T-shirt and thin sweatshirt or fleece and I almost always had to take the jacket off.

Its great for riding as you also wont find yourself sitting on the jacket either. This is the one I have:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/the-ori...spsv45fi5dtv2w

I have had the same experience as cwoodlandfairy with the Mountain Horse Original Jacket. I love it! Even though Georgia isn't as cold as some places (by a long shot), I am a real wuss about the cold, and get cold very easily. This Mountain Horse jacket always keeps me warm (sometimes too warm, which I never thought I would say). I got it on sale at Dover, so I think I paid about $120 for it. That and my Ariat Bromonts are the best money I've spent on winter gear.
    Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion.... ~ Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by ddashaq View Post
    Mine, just like that but from Walmart, is going on it's 9th winter.
    I kind of wish it died, but it still looks like new, other than one of the deep pockets has a hole and loses my treats if I forget it and put them in that one.

I think I am going to make that one a permanent dog bed and get a new one.

For real wet snow, regular winter wear with an oversized light rain coat and pants works fine.
    Advantage of being so very short, most any bigger size is oversize.

I find that buying jackets a little big both allows room for layering and also traps more air and keeps me warmer. When it's -10 outside, no one is going to care about whether your silhouette is slim and flattering.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Mountain Horse is pretty popular at my barn! You also see lots of just ski jackets/parkas - Columbia is always a good brand. I wear a Burton ski jacket when I'm outside catching horses. Down is also very very warm - on our -40 days, I wear a long down jacket. (And a scarf, hat, mittens...)

Layering is the best. I go with a tee shirt, then an Irideon zip up sweater, then my parka. I take the parka off immediately after entering the barn, or else it's too hot.

Like a few of the others, I'm also in Buffalo and it gets cooooooold here! I've had the best luck with silk long underwear, then a T-shirt, henley, North Face fleece vest, and then a Columbia jacket over top (the kind that has the zip-out fleece + shell)

I usually take the jacket off for riding, as I find it too bulky.

I do have a Mountain Horse Original Jacket from... gosh... 15 years ago? But I was always sitting on the flap and it drove me insane. It's a shame, too, as the jacket is very light way, warm, and allows for a lot of room/movement in the shoulders.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

http://www.musto.com/fcp/product/Out...49?colour=navy I have the older version of this, have had it now for about 8 years and after a wash it looks brand new. Its suitable for outside the barn too - I wore it around NYC over Thanksgiving and it kept me toasty and protected me well from the rain. I also even wore it hiking in Scotland in January in the worst weather I've ever hiked in a downpour/snow/sleet. I was slightly damp by the end of the 12 hour day, but not sopping wet.

Highly recommended!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Cabaret SK View Post
    Layering is the best. I go with a tee shirt, then an Irideon zip up sweater, then my parka. I take the parka off immediately after entering the barn, or else it's too hot.
    The too hot issue is part of why it's best to layer - and why it can be worth the $$$ to buy a wind and waterproof BREATHABLE shell for your outer layer that's designed for activity, because the good ones will have various options for adjusting how sealed up you actually are. (Mine has, for example, zips under the arms that you can open up a little or a lot if you start getting too warm, without losing ALL of your trapped body heat by taking the thing off entirely.)

I bought mine a few years ago - it's not insulated at all - and even with just a cheap sweatshirt underneath it, it can be quite toasty warm. If I had the purchase to do again, I'd probably buy one that was specifically intended to have a zip-in liner like one of those 3-in-1 options which is an uninsulated outer shell plus some kind of fleece jacket which you can wear independently or zipped together, but that's just because it'd be handy to have something I could keep ready to throw on, whereas with mine I have to put on sweatshirt/fleece jacket first, then the shell. But if I was limited in funds I'd definitely put the money into the outer layer (getting something designed for activity) - you can always pick up stuff to wear under it later.

The keys are you want windproof - if you can put your hand in the sleeve and blow forcefully from the outside of the sleeve and feel the air THROUGH the jacket, put it back. Wind will do the same thing and take all your precious warmed up air with it. Waterproof - Not as important if you live someplace that tends to be cold but dry, but if you get something decently waterproof as a shell you'll be able to use it basically year-round if it's not insulated. (Secondary to this is breathable, which means water can't get in but the moisture from your body can get out - keeps you from ending up dripping with sweat.) ADJUSTABLE - you want to be able to control how sealed up it is. Being able to unzip the zipper from the bottom, underarm vents, velcro or something at the cuffs so you can control how tightly it fits around your wrists, and often there's also a cinch of some kind inside at the waist so you can get it to fit so it's not going to billow up from the bottom and fill up with cold air if it's windy.

The other thing you can add that helps is rain pants - you don't necessarily need to spring for the insulated ski pants type, just something windproof that you can put on over whatever other trousers you're wearing. (Mine are super cheap and not even breathable, just wind- and waterproof.) I don't know that I'd ride in them (not sure how comfortable they'd be) but the amount they help keep you warm even when over something like jeans without any long underwear at all is quite impressive. (These I keep an eye out for at the end of the winter in particular - both of my pairs so far I've gotten for Super Cheap on sale.)

Agree about mittens being warmer than gloves - if you need the dexterity of gloves for some things, then either convertible mittens (with fingerless gloves underneath and a mitten cap) or else buy your mittens so they'll fit over a pair of thinner but still somewhat warm gloves. At least for me, if I strip down to completely bare hands my fingers promptly turn into icicles and then don't warm up for AGES.

I agree that at the end of the day you're going to end up having to give up a bit of 'fashion' for functionality - with modern technical fabrics it is possible to be quite toasty warm and not be AS puffy as it used to be when the options were big fluffy down coats or big fluffy down coats, but it's the trapped air that insulates you, as others have said, so that means you need room for there to be air to be trapped IN, and that tends to result in somewhat less than a totally sleek and trim look.

Oh, the other thing is the length of the coat/jacket - if it's something you intend to ride in you are a bit limited because of course you don't want to end up with something that you end up sitting on (like a knee-length coat is probably not going to work unless it's specifically designed to split for riding or something to that effect) but you want as much length as you can get within that restriction, imo. Those short coats that just come to the waist never really seemed to be that useful to me except maybe as a layer under something longer. (Or if you intend to pair them with something insulated on your legs, like ski pants.)

This is the jacket I use: http://www.aramark-flameresistant.co...t&style=99998#

It is labeled WearGuard and is out of their men's work clothing line. It is lighter and warmer than most heavier jackets, so I don't mind wearing it out at the barn. And it is durable. I have had mine now for three or four years, and it is holding up very well. The company has a good line of tough clothing.

ETA: I like having my winter jackets roomy so I can layer underneath them. If you are looking at a fitted option, this probably wouldn't be it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Found the Mountain Horse original winter jacket for 149. here

http://www.smithbrothers.com/product...zmap=Y3-E40198

They also have one for 194. but it says Rocky Ridge with the exact same description, so I'm not sure of the difference. Both of these are 600 denier, whereas the Dover one says 200 denier for 179.

I've always liked the stuff that Duluth Trading Company has, although I can't vouch for it personally. It looks VERY tough and sturdy.

http://women.duluthtrading.com/store...ear/14507.aspx
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Guin, I was just about to post a link to that coat. I just got a flyer in the mail for that company and I liked that coat alot. Does anybody have one ? Its more expensive than a Carhartt so wasnt sure if it was worth it. It seems to have articuated shoulders so it seems to be less restrictive than the Carhartts. I hate feeling all wrapped up and restrictive in my piles of winter clothing ...

I love my LL Bean jacket, but its developed all sorts of holes and rips. LL Bean keeps fixing it, so I keep wearing it, but its really starting to look really ratty even by my standards ...