The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Building jumps

So I am going to build some jumps for myself. I board my mare at a private barn with a roping arena, but I am the only one jumping. I will have to put away whatever I put out. My plan is to build three sets of standards. I bought the material needed yesterday, just have to go buy the bolts, etc. I also have a pallet that I cut in half and will use that as a brush box.

My two questions are how do you make the (sort of)rounded top on the jump standards?

And does anyone have any other ideas of easy to drag and put away stuff I can make (or find) to jump over?

ETA: Here are the plans that I will use:

http://www.horsechannel.com/horse-ex...standards.aspx

I am wondering, however, if I should have bought the 2" x 4" instead of the 1" x 4"....

I made flower boxes using stuff I bought at home depot.

Lightweight wood boards. I don't know what they are called but they are 2x2 wide or so and maybe 4 feet long or so. I bought handles to screw into the top so I can carry them easily. Drill holes in the top and then stuff random stuff in them. It's a lot cheaper to make a bunch of these than it is to buy one plastic brush box at the tack shop. Those are easy to carry around.

I used 2X6 for the base supports, it just added more stability. I also used 4X4 with drilled holes as flower boxes. I also used PVC, the heavy stuff for piles. The lighter stuff is easy to knock down but I haven't had an issue with the heavy stuff.

I bought some cheap vinyl lattice from home depot (already 10ft sections) & screwed it to a 2x4 for gates. Also used landscaping timbers cut in half, drilled holes and ordered cheap silk flowers in bulk for flower "boxes".

To stripe poles I just bought electrical tape.

Here are some pictures of my jumps! (and other cheap-o projects)
    https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3429484&type=3

Side note: here are our jumps decorated for Halloween (thanks Dollar Tree!):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater

3 members found this post helpful.

Thanks guys! I wish I was had my own place to make all of the jumps. They are so cool!

My other question was how to make to rounded edges on the top of the standards. Do you cut the like that?

Should I go back and get the 2 x 4's or can I just double up the 1 x 4's?

The 1x4 will be fine. I used 2x4 for extra durability since some my fellow boarders kids toss things around rather than taking care.

I used 1x6 rails (or 1x10), from Home depot, notched out about 4" inwards and halfways up to give the rail something to sit on the cups. Then painted red and white to give you planks rather than poles.

I also bought 2x4's (treated), cut into four 2' pieces. Then some flowers from the dollar store and stapled the flowers to one side of the 'sections' then took another section and sandwiched the flowers between two pieces to give you a little flower display.

For poles- I purchase two types, cedar rails from local people and landscaping timbers.

P.s- I don't see much point in rounding the tops of the standards.... unless I am misunderstanding.
    If you want them to look more pleasing, purchased 4x4 post toppers from Home Depot.

I plan to make some roll tops in the spring, great ideas here!

These are all great jumps! Jumpergirl, i laughed out loud at the geometric shape picture. I think we've all had at least one jumping experience like that! So adorable, good horse for being so brave! Hehehehe
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    These are all great jumps! Jumpergirl, i laughed out loud at the geometric shape picture. I think we've all had at least one jumping experience like that! So adorable, good horse for being so brave! Hehehehe
    Thank you! I'm on a limited budget and own brainless TB's so I have ot come up with ways to scare them at home so shows are no big deal (although....judging for the last TB show, I apparently need to invest in a big timer and a buzzer, along with some crowds for my ding dong).

yeah she was very WTF? about that jump...I was actually able to get the whole sequence

take off

mid jump

landing

And to show she doesn't always jump like a goat

1 members found this post helpful.

Jumper_girl, what is that black tube thing?

I am also now wanting to make a carpeted coop. Need a light, long, round thing. Not too big, since we are learning to jump over here.

Great ideas - really like the Jumper Girl's pictures (I hate the new thumbs, but would give you a thumbs up if I did use them!).

I've made some really simple and lightweight flower boxes with PVC fence rails (you can buy them from Home Depot or the like, or sometimes find them on CL for really cheap). Just add little feet made of small scraps of wood, screwed into the rail, and drill holes in the rail to insert flowers. Look good and easy to move as they are lightweight.

I have red alder trees (which grow like weeds) so the idea for the coop made out of small trees is a good one. I figure I can use them for jump rails too, as it won't matter if they last or not, as I have a ready supply.

Just a basic black culvert. I have a small one (the one in the picture) and then a taller one (2'3") one.

You can get them from any home improvement store for going under a driveway. They are super heavy duty plastic, so great "solid" jumps. I've gotten these through my husbands work when they enlarged the driveway and replaced the pipe.

Also have some black barrels that give a similar feel that I get free through my hubbies work

I do love having a husband that deals with construction type things. My mats in the x ties are from when the conveyor belts were replaced on their sand plant (screens and washes the sand). I get endless barrels that were for holding hydraulic fluid and diesel. Even my wishing wells were wooden boxes that some replacement tires for some of the equipment were shipped in...he just added a roof.

Jumpergirl, your jumps are some of the best!!! I would have never thought of the privacy fence to make a coop. Lowes, here I come!
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight