The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Way to go, Leo! My barn is closed (no riding) on Mondays, but I rode on Saturday and Sunday. Of course it's a lot easier on the weekends. My trainer was out of town so I rode my horse who is almost totally rehabbed from an injury, and then rode another horse who is just starting rehab. Temps tomorrow night are supposed to be near freezing. Yuck.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Yeah, day 1 and I rode......I almost didn't.... Anyway, glad I did. My mare's 4 and just starting regular work and I NEED/want to ride her 4x a week. We worked on WTC keeping her underherself and relaxed. She's doing pretty good --cantering to the left is challenging as she is not as balanced.

It went well---yes, it is cold-like 25 degrees and she is furry! When done I walked her for about 20 minutes undersaddle then threw a cooler on and walked some more.

I really don't want clip her b/c it gets so cold/windy/nasty and she's outside in a run (no heat in barn or arena)...Ugh! I do blanket her--she has a 300 T/O blanket on now and she's looks like a bear! Suggestions?

Anyway, thankful for this thread!!!

noodles

Winter is a pain. I work 20 miles south of home. Horse is 10 miles east of home. So if I go to work and then to see horse it's 60 miles round trip. I also work 4 tens. Nice since I have Sat, Sun, Mon to ride. BUT work days are really tough! I work from 7 am til 5:00 pm (if I'm lucky enough to get off on time) and the soonest I can get to my horse on a work day is 5:45 : ( Also where I board, I have to clean the girls stall and pen. She also eats out of big slow feeder bags and it is my responsibility to fill them. This is about 30 minutes of work per visit. At least we do have lights. Today was my day off so I took her on a trail ride. She had a great time though she didn't get to canter as much as she would have liked. I sure miss the summer!

I'm in! My normal plan is Monday, Thursday and Friday night, then Wednesday morning, Saturday morning for lessons and Sunday afternoons. This of course can change due to weather, dog shows, etc.

Thursday will be my first night this week and it is supposed to rain. I will only go if I know someone else will be there. My main friend I ride with may have to work late that night. Our trainer really prefers we not be out there all alone and it is too dark and scary for me by myself (we do have lights in the arena).

Count me in. Can I send someone my cell # so they can text "get on your horse!" at 7AM every M-W-F? I don't have darkness as an excuse, as I'm able to ride in the AM before work. Its just really hard to motivate myself to get up while its still cold and dark outside so that I can get all the morning chores done and still have time to ride. I did manage to make myself ride on Saturday and yesterday morning before work. Today rain is a great excuse. The next few days it will be 'no footing'.

Leo - the trick is don't even go home after work. Take your riding clothes with you , change before you leave, and go directly to the barn. Do not pass home, do not collect sofa points.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

5 members found this post helpful.

Default some tips for riding during the cold dark week!

Hi guys, like all of you I am sort of struggling with the time change as well, and adapting my riding schedule to the lack of daylight. I ride on weekends and during the week, and cannot afford to have my trainer give training rides during the week but I've so far made it work. I have a few things that have made it easier to cope w/winter riding.

I live in CA so it's not super cold here, but even then I still do not have an indoor or even lights on the outdoor so all rides have to end by 5 pm. Fortunately I work for a company that is based upon letting employees work from anywhere, our number one product is GoToMyPC software, so I'm able to work from home if I need to and connect remotely to my office computer. I highly highly recommend anyone who has an office job to talk to their boss about letting them work from home and being flexible with work hours. For me, I go to the office from about 8 am til 3:30 (eat lunch at the desk), leave, shoot over to the barn which is fortunately 2 miles from work, and ride for about 45 min - all in all 1.5 hours with grooming and tacking up, etc. Then after I get home I log back in to work for a bit.

Things do come up however, the odd meeting that is scheduled at 3 and of course i can't ride on those days. If he can get out there, my husband will lunge "our" horse LOL or give him a turnout. So far, so good.

I discovered something really great the other day though, which shaved off some time. I got a pair of jean breeches (I think Equine Couture) and they are absolutely cute and fit great. So great I ended up wearing them to work with tall boots and a long sweater. I got about 3 compliments on them from coworkers ! Anyway, I went straight to the barn in them and just had to change my boots and put on a sweatshirt. It's the little things! Also contemplating tacking my horse up in his stall (the cross ties are somewhat far from his stall/paddock) to save time once i get to the barn. I seem to run into the people that don't work and want to chat, which is great but not when you're trying to squeeze in a ride.

The absolute best thing I've ever done for my riding (and sanity) is to change my work hours to 11 AM - 7:30PM. It means getting home later and not having dinner with my family, but having those mornings to take care of the horses and ride without needing to get up at 5 AM is a godsend. And I don't have to worry about it getting dark at 5 PM. The dinner with family isn't so important during the week as we're an all adult household with just me, DH and DD. I just make an extra effort to make meals for us all on the weekends. And if they needed meals during the week, there's time to throw something in the crock pot or pre-prepare in the AM for them.

My hardest day is Thurs, when I have a lesson at 7:30 AM at my trainers barn. That's an up at 6 AM, throw feed at horses, go to lesson, back at 9 in time to turn out, clean up for work, and then not get home until 8:30 PM. Its a long, hectic day.

Fortunatley, I'm also not addicted to television.
    Witherun Farm

Riding tonight. Helps to have an actual scheduled lesson with another person. Makes flaking much harder Fortunately I only have to hack by myself once every two weeks, so talking myself into riding doesn't happen often (talking myself into going to the gym when its cold and dark is a whole 'nother story, though)

I think the worst part of the evening rides is turning off the lights to the indoor and then being surrounded by total darkness as I dash to my car, afraid of the boogeymen (I know, I'm a dork). Whoever said they bring a headlamp is a freaking genius. Will need to put that on my to-do list!

I rode yesterday, but only briefly because of the wind. Tonight was perfect, no wind (very cold)....but my daughter has stuff going on at school tonight . Will try again tomorrow - daughter has a flute lesson between 6 and 7:30, but I can squeeze in 30 minutes before we go.

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post

Leo - the trick is don't even go home after work. Take your riding clothes with you , change before you leave, and go directly to the barn. Do not pass home, do not collect sofa points.
    So I guess this is the point in the conversation where I admit that I keep my horses at home...which only makes it even more tragic that I'm not motivated to ride!

I have to ride by myself 100% of the time, which is totally new to me ( just moved the horses home), so I think that is part of the problem. Also I'm used to being able to take lessons and horse show at least once a month. I can't afford these things right now so i'm having difficulty setting goals that aren't show/lesson related. It's tougher than I thought it would be!

I did not ride today, it was yucky and drizzly and my pony was wild in the pasture so I just did the normal barn chores and went right back to the house.

I think I need to start setting out barn clothes at night (breeches, NOT muck jeans!) so I just walk in the door, change, and go! I'm going to go set out my clothes RIGHT NOW!
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

Leo, I'm at home, riding alone 100% of the time too. And worse, I work less than 3 miles from home 8-4..........in my defense, my daughters extracurricular schedule is crazy, and I care for the 6 horses myself - my husband is in full time nursing school so he's hardly ever home and when he is, he's studying. So it's sort of like being a single mom *blush*.

Okay, that's it for my excuses .

Quote Originally Posted by Leo86 View Post
    So I guess this is the point in the conversation where I admit that I keep my horses at home...which only makes it even more tragic that I'm not motivated to ride!

I have to ride by myself 100% of the time, which is totally new to me ( just moved the horses home), so I think that is part of the problem. Also I'm used to being able to take lessons and horse show at least once a month. I can't afford these things right now so i'm having difficulty setting goals that aren't show/lesson related. It's tougher than I thought it would be!

I did not ride today, it was yucky and drizzly and my pony was wild in the pasture so I just did the normal barn chores and went right back to the house.

I think I need to start setting out barn clothes at night (breeches, NOT muck jeans!) so I just walk in the door, change, and go! I'm going to go set out my clothes RIGHT NOW!
    I can relate. Mine are also at home and I have to ride alone during the week, and I'll admit, as a wimpy re-rider, its a little scary for me. I did find that if I lay out my riding clothes at night before I go to bed and get into them instead of mucking clothes in the AM, I'm more likely to ride.

My best friend and neighbor just retired, so I may be asking her to keep an eye on me in the mornings now. They have a great view of the pasture where I ride, and luckily, she's a morning person. I always seem to forget to carry my cellphone out to the barn with me.
    Witherun Farm

I rode this evening, following my rule of, "Don't sit down after work,change clothes and go." It does help to have a schedule, and Tues and Thurs are my weekday riding days. My boy did very well, and I'm so much happier now and will sleep so much better tonight. Rode alone, but it helps to have a lighted indoor!
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

1 members found this post helpful.

Good luck all!~ you know you are not alone.... today was mare's day off-but I went to the barn let my girl out and she got a mini groom session.

We can do this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Trevelyan96 View Post
    Absolutely, riding on a weekday completely depends on going straight from work to the horsey!!!! At least now it's cold enough to leave her carrots in the car while I'm working!

3 members found this post helpful.

We had a great lesson tonight. The usual group of five, who are all fairly good riders. The jumping exercise was simple but required concentration. Two jumps, set on a straight line. Coming in on the left lead shorter approach go forward to get three strides. Coming in on the right lead long approach slow down, collect and do the line in four strides. This was the opposite of what the horses would expect to do. My flashlight was put to good use turning the horses out afterwards. And yes, going right from work to the barn is the ONLY thing that works for me.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

So, tonight I left work at 3:50 pm and after grocery shopping, feeding buckets and blanketing to my 2 horses and then picking up my case of cat food at the feed store, I get home at 5:50 to feed the animals and have my glass (es) of wine..and my work e-mail that is still going.

Now I have dinner to make and brownies to bake. Ride in the morning.....laughing....so glad I found someone who loves to ride babies. I only ride on the weekend..

I didn't ride yesterday. But! I did ground work, in the arena, with a bridle. Does that count? Lol

Today my friend came out to ride my boy. I needed someone besides me on him. I'm so discouraged. But! After seeing her work with him today I am going to ride tomorrow and practice!!!

im in..here in bc it gets dark by 4:00.
    my barn has no ring lights either,so i have to work with during the day rides.i have the advantage that i do work evenings.except 2 days a week where i work from morning till 4 so by the time im home. its dark..aweather wise i bundle up for the weather.which lately is rainy,rainy rainy..yuck.
    do admit i have some un-motivational days too.usually its just when i have so much other things going on and feel more buzy then eva.
    if i don't want to ride ,but still want to go to the barn.i go just to see him give him a quick grooming and check over and a good apple or too and then just call it a day. my barn is 45-1hr away from home.btw.
    as silly as it sounds my horse actually gets annoyed/mad at me if i don't come to see him and say hi.if if its just to do what i have said above.

lastly if im there in the pouring rain and think why did i come in this weather.i just look at my sweet horses face and think oh yeah thats why..LOL

Day 1. I was luck. Weather went up to 18 degrees C (~65 F) on Monday when I rode last and there were 4 of us that all went for an hour long trail ride. This the point were I need to brag hahah this was my 4th ride on my new baby (also his 4th ride ever) and he took to the trail like an old pro. Only had one moment where he felt like he *needed* to trot. He was so good and all of us were prepared for the worst, even had a hunting vest tied onto him incase I can off and he ran away. I have yet to see him buck or try to run away; he has been the easiest baby to break.
    Now that I've got a group to go trail riding with I think it'll be easier to get out. Also, since it's supposed to get cold soon and the ground is going to free plus I have a baby and don't want to destroy his joints, I'm only planning to ride a couple times a week. Definitely makes it easier for me if I know I can procrastinate about getting there for a few days.