The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Default Adult Winter Rider Support Group

Ok COTHers, I need some motivation to keep riding during the winter. Can we start a support group?

Here's the deal, I get off work early enough to ride before it gets dark, but I'm used to having my "down time" before going up to the barn to ride. My ring doesn't have lights, so now if I want to ride, I need to do it right after work. Finding the motivation is hard! Once i'm there, I always have a great time and feel great after riding. It's just getting there is the hard part.

So I was thinking that if I had some sort of support group where I could check in and feel more motivation to ride, then I might be able to convince my lazy butt to get up and do it.

I was thinking this is how it could work:
    1) Check in to let the support group know that you rode. Give a brief synopsis of how it went, what you did, etc.
    2) Treat yourself to an adult beverage
    3) Sleep, work, repeat

Who's in?
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in.

This past week on Thursday I wasn't able to get off work until 4:30pm which meant by the time I got there it was starting to get dark. Power at the barn was still out so I rode inside with a headlamp on for about 15 min. since there was still a bit of daylight left.

Even though I didn't do much other than some circles and leg yield at a walk, I felt it was a success to do something totally different and have my youngster be so calm about it.

I think it's a good idea. I get all excited to go to the barn and ride and then, slowly the drive and the darkening skies drain my energy. By the time I get there I give my mare a good grooming and head out. Either that or I talk myself out in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    I'm in.

This past week on Thursday I wasn't able to get off work until 4:30pm which meant by the time I got there it was starting to get dark. Power at the barn was still out so I rode inside with a headlamp on for about 15 min. since there was still a bit of daylight left.

Even though I didn't do much other than some circles and leg yield at a walk, I felt it was a success to do something totally different and have my youngster be so calm about it.
    Headlamp?? Oh man. It's on now...I can't let you show me up with a headlamp ride. I feel super lazy now! I have power AND awesome weather lately, and still haven't been riding!
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

I've been having some disagreements with my guy and the cold just seems to make him more stubborn and me less motivated.

I was happy this past week that I made it out to the barn five times. But I only rode twice. I'm very discouraged.

Count me in! When do we start?

n

Tomorrow?? The lazy me says, "But it's a Monday...." However, that is exactly the kind of thing I need to stop doing!
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

HATE cold weather, dark, rain. Count me in. :-)

I'm in! I'm unemployed and have more time during the day now, but when it's cold and snowy, it's hard to get myself off the couch... plus the horses are out during the day, so I feel bad cutting into his turnout time, and also hate wading out through the snow to get him and bring him in and then turn him out again. But the alternative is wait until it's dark and he's already in, at which point I just want a beer and a cuddle with the dogs on the couch. Ugh. Anything to motivate me would be good...

Yup, I'm in. I've found it t be especially hard since my guy like to play tag when it's dark out. Wandering around through ankle deep mud for half an hour and coming up horseless in the end is killing my motivation. You'd think he'd want to come in cause then he gets supper. Some how need to keep making myself go and yes, I know I need to teach my horse how to stand there to be caught. Wish he was as food driven as me or that he would at least take treats from my hand.

Definitely need motivation...

Count me in! My winter riding schedule is every Tues and Thurs after work, and Sat and Sun mornings. I try to stick to it no matter what, even if I just say it's going to be a 10 min ride (once I'm tacked up and on, it's always at least a half hour). My trick during the week, don't sit down after work! Change your clothes and go. If you sit down, then it's all over.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

3 members found this post helpful.

I'm in too. This will be my first year - I've always stopped riding when the horses are too wooly to ride without sweating (I'm from CA. and it's taken me 13 years to acclimate to NE IN). So, I need some advice on clipping, cooling out, etc. My biggest challenges: no indoor, grass outdoor that is down a steep hill, no lights. I prefer trails anyway but I'm scared of the dark!

Count me in please! I have a lesson on Tuesday night. The pony I usually ride lives out in a field and turning him back out after the lesson is sometimes tricky. I just put a flashlight in the car so I can turn him out without having to grope my way out to his field. Found my gloves, ear warmers and polar fleece breeches too.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Represent! But can't check in often but I keep riding clothes at the barn and my stash of food in the barn fridge so I can sneak rides in after work.

I'm so in. My barn is an hour from my work so it will definitely be dark by the time I can get out there. We've got ring lights though, so hopefully with this support group I can get out there more often than just on the weekends!
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

My horse comes back from the trainer with 60 days on the 17th. I will NEED to keep riding him.

On nights through the rest of the month, working 6pm to 6am. I can get out before work I guess...groan...

Switching to days for Dec and Jan, and most days will be 6am to 6pm. It gets dark here at 430pm . Not sure what to do then. Between the cold, the wind and the coyotes howling in the trees nearby, I'm not really digging the thought of riding a green WB in the dark.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I'm in... I live in an apartment over the barn and our arena has lights, but I don't even leave my office until it's already dark and this is the crazy time of the year at my office so by the time I get home it is cold, dark, and I'm drained... My gelding is finally growing up and becoming a good citizen so I need to keep this going.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

I'm in!! I don't get out of work till after 5:30 and of course it's already dark out and cold. Our ring has lights but it's cold and I am usually the only one at the barn then. So I think to myself that we are not competing again till spring so I don't really need to ride my green bean....... right?????

Default Day ONE!

Ok everyone check in for day 1 before you are allowed to have your celebratory adult beverage!

I rode for a total of 10 minutes...but I rode! I was exhausted, it was Monday, and I kept thinking of all kinds of excuses to not ride, but I did!

Alright....popping the cork on the bottle of wine and waiting to hear from everyone else......
    ....Leo\'s Mom.....

I did not ride........ Fail I know. Maybe tomorrow?????