The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony jumpers

Does anyone know of any successful show jumping ponies that did grand prix? Thx.
    May the sun shine on you daily, and your worries be gone with the wind.
    www.mmceventing.com

I completely forgot about Stroller!
    www.mmceventing.com

There was one at HITS Ocala I think two years ago... I cannot remember it's name but it was a bay and for some reason I think I remember that it was a medium and not even a large

I have a friend that has a top of the line large pony jumper that did a few grand prix, but they were smaller like 1.30/1.25.

Define "did Grand Prix" please. Do you mean a class somebody tagged as a Grand Prix or an honest National or International GP at level 1.45+?

Pony Jumpers do about a 3'3"/1m anyway, the ones that also do Childrens Jumpers do up to 1.2. There are several Ponies in that group but that's not GP.

It's not the height but the combinations in todays courses that don't favor a <14.2 entrant.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.

Years ago, anyone remember Little David. I believe that was his name. It was a long time ago and I remember Dave Kelley riding him in big jumper classes. No Grnd Prix's back then, but he won against the big boys.

Quote Originally Posted by kkgeorgio View Post
    There was one at HITS Ocala I think two years ago... I cannot remember it's name but it was a bay and for some reason I think I remember that it was a medium and not even a large
    The trainer I rode with when I lived up north has a little stallion that does the Prixs and they're usually in Ocala over the winter. He's actually juuust over pony-size though. He is bay and little though - especially in comparison to most of the other horses in the Prix! - so he might be the one you saw.

Little Squire was a famous jumping pony of the 30s. I believe he was under 14 hands high. He won the Open Jumping championship at the National Horse Show one year.
    I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Here is the video of the Ocala pony/hony: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3hdyVorXso&feature=plcp

Myself de Breve, Marie Hecart's horse, is only about 15 hands. Pretty close in size to many of the large ponies doing the division.

I was so excited to see this thread! After quite some time out of the show ring I am jumping back in (no pun intended). Since I have to repurchase everything I don't want to spend money on a new horse as well. I have a smaller gelding with springs in his feet so this makes me excited for what we may be able to accomplish! Thanks!

Quick Start, the horse in the posted video, is listed on his stallion registry as being 16hh. Not sure if that is guaranteed truth so it'd be interesting to have somebody who knows him give the scoop. There isn't anything on his USEF record except for breed and no size info on the farm's website for him.

Quote Originally Posted by kmwines01 View Post
    Quick Start, the horse in the posted video, is listed on his stallion registry as being 16hh. Not sure if that is guaranteed truth so it'd be interesting to have somebody who knows him give the scoop. There isn't anything on his USEF record except for breed and no size info on the farm's website for him.
    This is what his owner said in an article:

“I haven’t had an official stick on him, but he’s probably about 15.1 hh,” says Collier. “He’s small in frame too, which makes him look even smaller.”
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz

That's good to hear Rel6. I wasn't sure how official a breed registry measurement is or if they round up a bit, lol. He definitely looks to be small boned, per se.

In the early 60's, Marion McDowell (Ireland) showed her pony, Blue Heaven, at both Achen and White City as well as Dublin Intl.

Here is video. We did this as a warmup to 3'6". Other then the first jump, which he didnt much care for, rest was usual self.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zKveg7DXT4c
    www.mmceventing.com