The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Default Talk me In, talk me Out: Horsekeeping on Hawaii

My brother is looking into relocating to Hawaii (Big Island) & has put a bug in my ear too.
    Gotta say the idea of adiosing Midwest Winter 4-Ever is attractive.

Looking at MLS I am seeing listings in Puna & Mountain View areas of 3ac or more for what seem to be reasonable prices.

BUT:
    *Are there restrictions to keeping horses on this amount of acreage?
    *What are the pluses or drawbacks to having horses at home in Hawaii?
    *Is there another part of the island more suited?
    *Explain "catchment water"
    *Where does hay come from & cost - ditto feed
    *Vets, farriers < hard to find or...
    *Etcetera - fill me in on all the poop, Good, Bad, Ugly et al
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

You need to pm the CoTHer Kryswyn, she lived in Hawaii. There are a couple others on here that lived there, hopefully they will chime in
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

PM sent!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

C'mon guys, you need to share about some of the stuff - my buddy had a place out in the country, courtesy of his wife, a native Hawai'in. I dimly recall that he couldn't own the land, only she could as a born and raised Hawaiin of Polynesian ancestry. That never stopped my family members from getting a condo, so I don't know if it was a tall tale or what.

Lava very close to the surface in places making the septic issue tough, no wells or city water so you need rainfall collection and a tank or cistern and every once in a great while an eruption will smother your place with lava. There are house-moving companies that will take your house to safety and a new lot (because a lot covered with new lava is not so useable).

It's lovely. And expensive.
    Last edited by ReSomething; Nov. 11, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Many basics, both for horses and people, are shipped over. Everyone I know with family in HI takes suitcases of food (cereal, other dry goods) whenever they visit as the "normal" HI prices are so high.

That said, and I've only visited, there seem to be a lot of horses around. I've seen them staked out on lines next to the road eating the grass. My horse would have killed himself in 5 minutes in that situation, but the local boyz were cool with it.

Last time I was in Hawaii I went riding, and I asked the stable about horse keeping.

I was told that the grass, while plentiful in some areas, is not very nutritious and you must feed hay year round--hay that comes in from the mainland on boats. All grain also comes in on boats. That makes it very expensive to own horses in Hawaii...

It used to be the land was commonly transferred by 99-year leases. After seeing that wonderful movie about the family needing to sell their ancestral land, the one with George Clooney, I'm wondering if now land can be sold, or what the deal is. Hope someone comes on and explains it. Maybe in that movie they were not going to sell it, but renew a lease. I thought they were going to sell it.

Also, some land has no well water or city water available and the common practice is to have a cistern with a roof designed to collect rainfall. I would think that could be an issue depending on the number of horses and the region. Some areas have a lot of rain and others not so much.

Some land and houses are able to be sold. The ones where you only own the house/condo are much cheaper, because the land is leased, and when the lease ends the owner can either renew the lease, or you have to leave and abandon the property, or move your property built on it. I think the land leasing option is 'lease hold' or something like that. It was on House Hunters a long time ago. The George Clooney situation in "The Descendants" was that it was long term owned family property and it had to be a joint decision by the property owners, who were descendants of the original owners.

And as people said before, there are lands that cannot be owned or sold by outsiders, but only by the natives of the island and their descendants. And I think there are areas that are still in dispute.

I know I need to go the House Hunters anonymous, but they recently had another Hawaii episode and some places need Tsunami insurance, and some need lava insurance.

And for expenses-any time you live where everything has to be shipped in, then you pay a lot. There's a reason that almost every ad about food or services says "Cost higher in Alaska and Hawaii", and nothing has a standard price equal to mainland prices.
    Last edited by JanM; Nov. 12, 2012 at 11:19 AM.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Moneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoneymoney and more money.
    Bring suitcases full if you want to own a horse on an island.

I would be looking to hook up with a local barn for the duration to get my horse fix without needing a trust fund worthy of Ivanka Trump.

Some of the Military bases have barn co-ops and there are riding clubs with co-ops too. My cousin lived on the island for a while and leased a horse thru a friend on a co-op that had great trail access. You can do it but you may have to find a network of a club or co-op.

Well, the land issue sounds odd, but similar to Mexico's - all the MLS listings I saw did not mention a land lease, but maybe if it's common knowledge...
    I'll be certain to ask any realtor about that issue!
    Of course, since I'm in my 60s now, a 99yr lease would be A-OK for me

I was afraid the "ship everything in" might be a problem, but I feed hay year-round now.
    What are feed prices? Anyone know for sure?

You can be sure I'd visit first - especially if my brother goes to his Plan A: rent for 6mos first.

Weather reports would be appreciated if anyone has been there in the "off-season" (is there one?).
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

My family member used to spend half the year in Waikoloa, on the Big Island. January through June. Loved the weather, which was temperate and breezy, pretty much all the time, with the occasional typhoon/hurricane. Tsunami are a real concern if you live close to the coast.
    Golfed every day and had a little boat. OMG groceries were expensive. That was in the condo so there was quite a bit that they just didn't have to deal with in their Haole enclave. Getting workmen with a sense of urgency that satisfied her was a bit difficult.

My GF was half native Hawaiin and had some ugly stories to tell about growing up being half Haole in the '80's., that'd be on Oahu.

I remember reading an article a LONG time ago about paniolos on Maui. The native forage there was a kind of tree called a koa (?), can't recall much else.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Just got back from Hawaii, the Big Island on 11/2. Stayed on the Kona side (lots of resorts/golf courses) of the island which is dry and lava filled, go up and over the other side, nice and green, cattle and horses, sheep, goats, that side gets lots of rain. Temp in the 80's everyday even at the end of October. I'm sure if you did a search about feed/hay in Hawaii you will find info., everything shipped in but they do have horse associations that you could probably contact for info on farriers/vets.

There "off season" as far as tourist go in our Spring and Fall, technically they have a "dry" and a "rainy" season, dry is April-October, rainy is November-March
    Last edited by SPF10; Nov. 12, 2012 at 12:57 PM. Reason: added info
    "They spend 11 months stuggling to live, and 25 years trying to die" my farrier

"They are dangerous on both ends and crafty in the middle"

The person you want to show up to this thread is bornfreenowexpensive, who grew up on the Big Island and still has relatives that horse-keep on the Big Island. I'd shoot BFNE a PM and see if you can't coax her over here.

That said, I ditto what Lady Counselor said. If you plan to own a farmette in the Islands, plan to be made of money. Hay is at a premium, grain is expensive, parts of the Big Island aren't on the county water lines and therefore you'll need to rely on rain water to get enough water to support horses (aka "catchment water"), and land is at a premium so expect a lot of regulations about what you can and can't do on a particular plot of land. That said, the Big Island is beautiful and a wonderful place to ride. There's a rich cultural heritage of paniolos (Hawaiian-style cowboys) and pa'u riders (women who rode in the long gowns that missionaries insisted the Native Hawaiians start wearing in the 19th century, often over incredibly rough terrain and for long distances). Even today, it's a big honor to represent your island as a Pa'u Rider in the Kamehameha Day parades. For a fun distraction, search Google Images for "pa'u rider" and check out the opulent costumes.

jn4jenny - good idea on the PM to BFNE

I understand offshore living can be pricy, but just like NYC - not everyone living there is a millionaire and most manage quite well in spite of that.
    My standards are pretty adjustable .
    We'll see......

ETA: Superminion - GAAAAH! New format is overlaying your latest PM with ADS!
    The only part I could make out was about shipping.
    If & when this ever came to pass, I would ONLY ship by air.
    Was that $3K per horse? Or for a container?
    I'll try again later, maybe the BB will have settled down as things seem to be changing by the hour.
    Last edited by 2DogsFarm; Nov. 12, 2012 at 03:21 PM.
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

I currently live, and keep my horses on, Oahu. The Big Island has a fair bit more land and grazing than Oahu and since I board I know nothing about the water situation but I can give some info about the basics. Boarding would be cheaper than keeping at home but folks do both.

Shipping a horse over here is $1300 by boat and roughly $3000 by plane. The plane is easier on the horses but they survive the boat just fine. That gets you to Oahu, shipping to other islands is by boat and is handled by a lovely woman here. She goes above and beyond to make sure the horses are treated well. Quarantine is 45 days, and doesn't have to be done at a state facility like cats and dogs. It just requires that the horse be kept 200 meters away from other horses OR be fly sprayed with an approved spray daily.

Hay comes from the mainland. Grass hay cost $35 for a 50 pound bale and $42 for a 100 pound bale. There are few options, you get what the feed store supplies, no shopping around. Most people feed cubes (dry) as they're less expensive and more compact. I pay $35 for a 50 pound bag for processed feed, and 40 pounds of rice bran ran me $40.

Feed for one horse costs me roughly $235 a month, board is $200, so no, you don't need to be rolling in money to keep a horse on the islands.

There are two vets on Oahu, so not many options for a second opinion. Not sure about the Big Island. There are more horses and cattle there than on Oahu. There are also a couple of farrier/trimmer options, 4 or 5.

The good is that it's riding weather year round. Sure it gets a little rainy in the winter but it's still 70 degrees. There is no EIA or rabies or strangles or most other common horse diseases. I vaccinate for rhino and that's about it. I love every minute of my time here on Hawaii. Any other questions?

Twisting - thanks!
    More info to add to the "file" - Yikes on the hay prices.
    I'd still like to hear from someone who keeps a farm on Hawaii, but your info was helpful.
    If I think of anything else, I'll PM
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009

At the risk of feeling like a creepy stalker, one of my favorite bloggers spent several years in Hawaii with horses:

http://jumping-percheron.blogspot.com/

If you go back to the earlier years posts (2008-2010), there is TONS of information about day in day out horse keeping in Hawaii.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Blogs are there to be read.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

One person I know who keeps horses in Hawaii keeps her horses at a place where she has to "buy" the stall like a condo, and then pay a maintenance fee.

So if she sells her horse she then has to sell the stall too.

I thought that was the weirdest thing ever!