The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

They'll try just about anything I'm eating. My gelding likes donuts and ate half a ham sandwich once. My mare surprised me by scarfing down two pieces of string cheese. They ate Doritos once, but wouldn't do it a second time.

Today I brought them a Finn Crisp (thin rye crispbread), which they love, beside the requisite carrots and apples.

One more thing he loved...any type of marshmallow Peep.

2 members found this post helpful.

My mini/small pony gelding thinks it is his inalienable right to finish off my last cold sip of coffee. He loves any pop and bonded with my husband over breakfast cereal.

When we were showing halter, I was working with him on giving ears, and would give him a treat when he gave us ears. Later one evening we were eating grilled chicken out on the picnic table near his corral. We've never given him meat, but he was convinced he had to try it, and was literally throwing his ears forward, hoping for a reward.

Recently after another outdoor dinner, I realized I had let the last of my beer go flat. Our Shetland mare, Scarlett, was at the gate, so I gave her the remaining sip. WOW! We have a lush! She swallowed that and wanted more -- and she wasn't shy about telling me...
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

I admit to giving a tootsie roll now and again just b/c I think it is cute to see her chew it (a la dog eating peanut butter)

I tried twizzlers for the same reason...spit those out.

My horse, when he was young, ate an entire salt brick in one sitting. I knew this, b/c the next morning, the brick was gone ... and both his water buckets were empty, right to the bottom.

I am leery of posting about no-no foods... I recently was severely chastised on FB by several people because I posted that my VERY BAD DOG jumped on the couch while we were gone (which is a no no) and ate the rest of my Hershey Kisses.

The only things I don't let them eat are pitted fruit, I think I heard that it was bad? Including avocado. Someone once posted an awesome list of human foods that are bad for horses, but I'm not sure the amounts. Obviously a dozen to 20 kisses didn't off my dog.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

My Paint will eat just about anything but red licorice is right up there on his hit parade along with those Halloween candy kisses with the molasses in them. My TB is a bit fussier- mints are his favourite. I had a friend whose horse loved bananas and would eat them skin and all. A fellow boarder brings the lovely organic grain bread from the restaurant where he works as a treat for his mare. I have lured her to the dark side with red licorice tho.

My horse loved Cheez-its, Cream Savors (I don't know if they even still make those) and grape flavored popsicles.

He also once ate, with no ill effects, a zip lock bag, and a bunch of broom bristles. I'm pretty sure he had an iron stomach.

Offered my mare a banana once, and she spat it right out, giving me a look that said "what the HELL was that?" She was very surprised by, but then loved, overripe pears.

A big thumbs down on my chewy peanut chocolate energy bar. peh!

Like the other TBs described above, she has very conventional tastes: peppermints, apples, stud muffins, carrots.

Used to lease a horse who LOVED fruit smoothies. Gave him most of one at a show when he was a VERY good boy.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

The great racehorse Kelso loved ice cream sundaes; he was always rewarded with one after a winning race.

A pony I used to groom regularly once ate my ham sandwich. I'd laid it on the tack box at a show while I went to pick his feet. Came back up and said sandwich was gone, and a very self-satisfied Ponykins was licking his lips and looking around for more. Of course that pony ate everything not nailed down. . .

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Things my horse has eaten and not died from:*
    Various types of cereal, with Corn Pops being the favorite
    Potato chips
    Pretzels
    Popcorn
    Pizza
    French fries
    Ice cream
    Coffee
    Half a milkshake
    Snickers bar
    Peanut butter
    Hamburger
    Cheeseburger
    Roast beef sandwich with horseradish
    Bacon
    Pancakes
    Little Debbie snacks
    Potato chips of various flavors
    Half a fish stick
    Chicken nuggets
    Barbecue sauce
    A robin's egg, complete with nest

*Most of these were fed to him by a group of pony campers who discovered he will eat anything, and devised a game to see what "anything" actually means.

Things he will not eat:
    Peeps
    Pumpkin bread
    Cinnamon candy
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Quote Originally Posted by PonyPenny View Post
    Little Debbie Oatmeal Creme Pies
    If I tried to get out of the barn without giving my guy one these - I might as well not come back - he LOVES them!
    "I am still under the impression that there is nothing alive quite so beautiful as a thoroughbred horse." -- John Galsworthy

My mare: leather lead, halter, and saddle. Yep. It was my trainer's saddle, too. Thankfully she just chewed a bit.
    Born under a rock and owned by beasts!

My horse loves peanut butter sandwiches (I love the faces she makes after eating them :P )

I have heard that grapes and licorice are bad for horses. Anyone know if this is true? I know grapes are a no no for dogs.

I had a short legged basset hound once. Don't let short legs fool you. She jumped up on the kitchen table and ate 2 king size hershey bars and a box of lemon heads. She lived. That dang dog had a bad sweet tooth. She could sniff out candy a mile away.

We have a pear tree in the pasture that the horses love when the pears start falling off. Otherwise I stick to the apples, carrots and bagged treats.

Poco has stolen and loved an Oven Roasted Chicken Breast on Honey Oat Bread, with cheddar cheese, lettuce, tomatoe, crap ton of olives, salt and pepper, mayo, honey mustard, and sweet onion sauce. She also likes Check Lemon Lime Soda (Generic Sprite basically) stole it from me yesterday as I was putting her stuff up and left my can within her reach.
    Did you know, today is yesterdays tomorrow and what you would leave for tomorrow you should do today?
    I am pro-Slaughter

Mine love twizzlers, circus peanuts, chocolate chip cookies, pretzels, potato chips, McDs chicken nuggets, french fries, peeps, watermelon, cantaloupe.

we, we're 2 warmbloods, wandering over from the secret santa thread, pretty much eat everything except meat.

This could be why our rugs are too tight. And why our owner is always putting us on a light diet feed.

Occasionally one of us, not both of us, takes a bite out of our owner, but only a nip. No blood drawing, as we don't eat meat.

Man... you guys are eating way too much at horse shows!

I think in short, a little won't hurt. Mass amounts of fruit or other gaseous foods (like cabbage) can cause colic.
    The more perfect our happiness,
    the more nagging and wretched
    do our unsolved problems seem.
    ~ Gordon Grand