The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Alternative to "Durasole": something that doesn't have formaldehyde in it?

I know a lot of people who use Durasole around the inside edges of the shoe as a disinfectant to help prevent growth of nasty stuff.

The staff at my barn are great and picking horses' feet out when the come in front turnout. However, this is a time of year in my area where there is some on and off rain, maybe some snow, and definitely some muddy patches in the pastures that just can't be avoided.

I was considering Durasole until I found out that it has formaldehyde in it. What are some other products that will do similar things but not have that in it?

Are you looking for a disinfectant or a hoof-hardener? Betadine solution would probably work if you want a disinfectant, venice turpentine for a hoof hardener. Any reason for the strong aversion to formaldehyde?
    If it were easy, everybody would do it.

Equi-Sport Services

I would be using it (or the alternative) as a disinfectant so "bugs" have less of a chance to grow during a time of year when conditions can be wet and muddy.

Thumbs up How about.....

Venice turpentine or icthamol or any of the hoof treatments for thrush....read the labels is my best suggestion!!
    Iodine/betadine good. Anything w/alcohol for example.

I just dicovered white lightening soaks has AMAZING results for thrush, white line and horses with crappy feet. Read up on it.

In addition to formalin (which is formaldehyde gas dissolved in methanol) , Durasole contains gentian violet - a strong antimicrobial that lasts a long time. I am not aware of any other commercial product that will continue disinfecting and prevent future microbes from growing after it is applied as well as Durasole.

Not sure what your objection is to formalin because once it cross-links with the horn it becomes chemically inert. Once the methanol evaporates, so does the "formaldehyde."

It is not like you bought some plastic product or insulation that was manufactured with urea-formaldehyde and it keeps off-gassing and releasing toxins in your home for years.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2113 View Post
    I just dicovered white lightening soaks has AMAZING results for thrush, white line and horses with crappy feet. Read up on it.
    Great stuff for disinfecting. But it only works for about 45 minutes. After that, nothing remains to prevent further microbes from invading.

Someone asked what my objection was to Formalin/formaldehyde...

I'm thinking primarily of the disposable gloves I'll be using whenever I put the stuff on.

My farrier makes up a marvelous concoction of various ingrediants to use as a sole dressing. My horses are barefoot or barefoot behind and doing great. I sue his sole dressing on the ones that don't really need durasole. It is "sticky" enough to cling to the sole and viscous enough to soak in. It also has anti-bacterial and fungal ingrediants. Love the stuff, and it smells marvelous. I also use it on the nail holes and around the shoe/foot intersection of the shod ones. My horses have amazing feet.

I am talking to him about marketing the stuff. Do you think there would be a market for a sole dressing that is sort of between Durasole and Venice Turpentine?
    friend of bar.ka

Nitrile gloves are resistant to formalin. But you're not supposed to paint your hands with it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes, I know all about the different types of gloves and what they are resistant to. I don't like the waste though if I can possibly help it. I feel bad about throwing all that stuff in the trash. I suppose I could get non-disposable ones, but want to investigate alternative hoof care products first.

I have a pair of handyman gloves that I wear at the barn for work and riding, as I find they hold up better than "riding" gloves. I wear those when I apply durasole.

But even if I manage to forget my gloves somewhere, it's just not difficult to keep durasole off your skin. You're applying a small amount and it pretty much goes where you tell it.

Pulling out the nitrile is really overkill.

Default Farriers Fix Hoof Oil

I started using Farriers Fix Hoof Oil with good results. I used Durasole also and it worked but I find the farriers fix to be easier to apply. I pulled my horse's shoes 4 months ago because his feet were falling apart and I couldn't keep shoes on him. I rode on a cross country course yesterday barefoot and he was just fine.

I just apply it with my bare hand, using the bottle. There's really no need for gloves as long as your careful.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

My understanding is that formaldehyde is carcinogenic. I used to use keratex. i painted it on with a brush but it would still drip on my hands. Then one day my horse jerked his foot and the paint brush splashed the stuff in my eye. Its not worth the risk to me. I threw out the bottle.

Now I use Tuf-foot. www.tuffoot.com
    I also like Sore No More the Sauce

I think the better question is what is not a carcinogen these days. Its not hard to not get it on you. The bottle has a squeeze top. Very easy application and really is one of the best products on the market. Don't sell your horse short, if you are worried just get some reusable kitchen rubber gloves.

I really like durasole, but for what you are looking for, seems good old iodine would work. I'm no more fond of iodine on my skin than durasole or keratex, so wear gloves for all. But I'm usually wearing gloves no matter what I'm doing with grooming and barn stuff!

I've not used this product or even heard of it before today, but did spy it in the latest Valley Vet catalog and it would perhaps suit for your purposes. It doesn't look like it would thicken or harden the sole, but if you're just looking for some sort of disinfectant...

http://www.lifedatalabs.com/life-dat...nfectantr.html

There's also this stuff from Keratex:

http://www.keratex.net/frog_and_thrush_disinfectant.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bloomer View Post
    Great stuff for disinfecting. But it only works for about 45 minutes. After that, nothing remains to prevent further microbes from invading.
    I do soaks as a total clean out twice a week then totally dry frog/soles (cool hair dyer)and then apply the medicine. Of course medicine is applied daily(i use durosole or Life Data antisceptic).
    I swear by the cool hairdyer then treat with Life Data Antisecptic.
    I treat thrush as i do with any wound infections:CLEAN &DRY then treat.

Other than enclosing hoof in a jar what would prevent microbes fom re-entering?

Quote Originally Posted by Herefordgirl View Post
    I started using Farriers Fix Hoof Oil with good results. I used Durasole also and it worked but I find the farriers fix to be easier to apply. I pulled my horse's shoes 4 months ago because his feet were falling apart and I couldn't keep shoes on him. I rode on a cross country course yesterday barefoot and he was just fine.
    Love this stuff. Has worked the best out of all the things I've tried including Durasole. I really liked VT but it was so sticky.