The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone have experience with stall side PRP?

My horse bowed his left front tendon a week ago. I am looking into different therapies, and the PRP seems to be the most successful for treating bows. I came across this "stall side" PRP kit and was wondering if any COTHers have some experience on how effective stall side PRP vs having the blood centrifuged would be?

I guess I can officially say I have joined the bowed tendon rehab club. So far, I am leaning towards sticking with the old fashion rehab of rest, controlled exercise and controlling inflammation with ice and NSAIDS while acute. But I can't help but read up on treatments for bowed tendons, and there seems to be quite a bit of choices out there... some seem promising like PRP. So any thoughts on the stall side PRP therapy would be appreciated!

I have heard mixed things about PRP in general. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. When I was facing a similar situation with my horse PRP, Stem cell and shock wave were all suggested to me. Luckily I don't need any of those things and my horse is doing remarkable. But out of the three I have honestly only heard more confirmed things about Stem cell.

Again I didn't use any of these. I did a month of stall rest with Ice Vibe boots and then a month of turnout and just now starting to hand walk under tack and he's doing remarkable. My horse had a different injury but I didn't want to waste my money on what "might" work versus time and patience!

Good luck with your boy!!
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Thanks for the thoughts. I have decided to stick with icing, wrapping, hand walking and anti inflammatory medicine to rehab him and hope that he will not re injure the leg before he heals. When it first happened, I wanted to do everything possible to make sure he would have the best chance to return to 100%. So I did a lot of research, and there are a lot of therapy options out there nowadays, but none that are really guaranteed. Out of all of them, the stall side PRP looked the most economical and efficient (not sending your horse to a clinic) of those. It just seemed a bit of a departure from centrifuging to separating platelets with a filter at the stall, that I was curious to see if anyone had tried it.

I am using ice horse boots, with my own hand made ice packs (alcohol and water in a ziplock) and that seems to be working fairly well. I am trying to ice 3x's a day for the first 2 weeks, then taper off per my vets instructions.

We currently have a standardbred racehorse with a bow that we had PRP done on 3 weeks ago. His was a significant bow and his future as a racehorse was definitely in question however he returned to the vet yesterday for his 3 week ultrasound and it looks amazing! Tendon is definitely healing and it now looks like he will be defnitely making a return to the track in time. Other than the PRP his routine has been stall rest except for about 10 minutes on the treadmill daily and standing wraps 24-7. Knowing that all horses are individuals hard to say that it will work on everyone but definitely very pleased with the outcome on this guy!
    \"when you dream, dream big!\"

Daretodream, did you use the stall side PRP or did the blood get sent away to a lab before re injection? Now, there is another method of PRP using a filtering system right at your own stall, which saves you the trip of going to a clinic and waiting a day. I was curious about that, only because I do not have the finances to do the whole clinic thing - but my vet is willing to try the stall side PRP but has never done the procedure before. I love my vet, and am willing to let her do it but I am against sticking needles into the tendon if it is not going to do any good. I guess I just don't see how a filter could get the amount of platelets that centrifuging could - but who knows?

I have no idea what stall-side PRP is but what I used involved the vet centrifuging with a regular centrifuge at his clinic while the horse was there.
    It was actually a combo PRP/bone marrow without the guaranteed minimum of stem cells so a little bit different and who knows which aspect of it worked but one of them did.
    Had a mare whose tendon tear did not heal with stall rest and traditional therapy. Within a few weeks of this therapy, the tendon that had shown no signs of healing previously, showed clear signs of fiber organization and healing. Ended up with a tendon that looked almost like it had never happened and a horse back in full work.
    There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.(Churchill)