The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "I Was on Course at the Show and Then . . .

. . . a squirrel jumped out of the jump we were approaching!"

16 seconds into the video, with repeat in slo-mo.

http://youtu.be/JPfLWt_xclY
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

8 members found this post helpful.

Where I used to ride, it was the chicken chasing the cat across the ring.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, i think i would be just fiiiine without that surprise!
    The dogs wrestling outside the ring is excuse enough for us to get a little sassy on course. actual wildlife hiding in the filler? no thanks.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

2 members found this post helpful.

When I was a kid I had a loose dog run out into the ring in front of us just before the first fence on course. I stayed on somehow and was allowed to restart. It's on tape somewhere-an old movie camera type tape so not very likely it will be shown to the world any time soon.

I saw the squirrel on the live feed.
    "Those who know the least often know it the loudest."

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I once ran over a pigeon in a 5 stride at a show. I got a nice round of applause from the audience. Thankfully, my horse was oblivious to what he did (but he was oblivious to many things...the original "dumblood").

Another time, a baby pigeon (squab?) waddled out from the brush box I was about to jump on my green, spooky mare, making the most god-awful squawking noise. I managed to stay on, but she was forever (I mean, ALWAYS) suspicious of that type of jump.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

5 members found this post helpful.

At a show a couple years ago, the resident groundhog kept running through the ring. During the 1st year greens, Mr. Groundhog was hanging out in the middle of the 2 stride. The wonderful horse jumped in, jumped the ground hog, and jumped out without breaking stride. I felt like he should have gotten bonus points for jumping a small furry creature.

Later, the groundhog made a repeat appearance during the pre-adults. My dads 14 year old, unbelievably bombproof, never-spooked-in-his-life horse was NOT going near the ground hog. He slammed to a stop and *carefully* backed up and sideways to get around it, snorting the whole time and refusing to go near it. Finally someone chased off the dangerous beast. Once it was gone, the horse proceeded to jump around just fine. Everyone who knew the horse was falling over from laughing so hard. The image of the 17.1 horse backing away from the furry little intruder was priceless!

8 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Heh, my mare *hates* pigeons. One time we were in a flat class, and one swooped down in front of us while trotting. Without breaking stride she squealed, struck it in the head and killed it instantly. er... whoops... We pinned 3rd in the class and when the announcer announced our placing he pre-titled us as: "And in third place the GREAT PIGEON KILLER!

I was going to say that luckily she's mellowed out over the years, but this afternoon I watched her clear the entire flock out of her stall, feet and eyes-a-blazing!

She. just. doesn't. like. pigeons.
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

13 members found this post helpful.

We have a lovely if retarded TB at our barn. He hates butterflies. During 1st 1 during the canter lengthening he struck out and killed a butterfly without missing a beat. Scored 65! I've seen him kill two other butterflies as well. Lord knows what he does when no one is looking, butterfly massacres i'm sure.
    glimmerling

Member Appaloosa lovers clique

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    At a show a couple years ago, the resident groundhog kept running through the ring. During the 1st year greens, Mr. Groundhog was hanging out in the middle of the 2 stride. The wonderful horse jumped in, jumped the ground hog, and jumped out without breaking stride. I felt like he should have gotten bonus points for jumping a small furry creature.

[snip]

That is so awesome. Is that lovely horse for sale??? j/k

If I were a judge I would want to place the horse first just for that.

My trainer's dog used to lie in front of jumps. My mare always jumped no matter what was in her way. Got a bit confusing when he would get up and move as we were taking off, though!
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I had a Killdeer bird run out and do the whole frantic crying wing dragging routine as I was "laying one down" and my TB took exception to it needless to say. I guess the round was still good enough as we won the class but he was very suspicious of that end of the ring for the rest of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by SnicklefritzG View Post
    That is so awesome. Is that lovely horse for sale??? j/k

If I were a judge I would want to place the horse first just for that.

oh my goodness. somebody gave that a "thumbs down". What a hoot.

Get a sense of humor or go take a chill pill or drink a beer. whoever did that needs one. lol.

6 members found this post helpful.

There. I balanced it! LOL!
    W. C. Fields

Quote Originally Posted by Eye in the Sky View Post
    My trainer's dog used to lie in front of jumps. My mare always jumped no matter what was in her way. Got a bit confusing when he would get up and move as we were taking off, though!
    Why would THIS get a thumb's down??? How truly bizarre.
    W. C. Fields

4 members found this post helpful.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

My pigeon story got a thumbs down too. I don't like that feature. AT ALL. As someone who is sensitive to criticism (as in, I stew about it, trying to figure out how to make people like me), this new function is kind of taking the fun out of COTH...
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

7 members found this post helpful.

Why the heck did my post get a negative rating? I really don't like this thumbs down thing. It's petty. I 'liked' all the negative's on this thread

Quote Originally Posted by propspony View Post
    Heh, my mare *hates* pigeons. One time we were in a flat class, and one swooped down in front of us while trotting. Without breaking stride she squealed, struck it in the head and killed it instantly. er... whoops... We pinned 3rd in the class and when the announcer announced our placing he pre-titled us as: "And in third place the GREAT PIGEON KILLER!

I was going to say that luckily she's mellowed out over the years, but this afternoon I watched her clear the entire flock out of her stall, feet and eyes-a-blazing!

She. just. doesn't. like. pigeons.
    I thought your post was hysterical. I gave it a thumbs up

4 members found this post helpful.

Hey folks, we have "thumbs down" stalkers now on the CotH. Welcome to Planet Bizarro!
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I think the thumbs up ability was nice..but the thumbs down ability just seems pointless.

If you like something, fabulous. If you don't, either comment about it or move on. Being able to thumbs-down just frustrated the poster and gives absolutely no feedback.

1 members found this post helpful.

Our old assistant BM was taking pics of a friend of mine riding and caught this beauty of a chase: http://file1.npage.de/001804/17/bilder/dsc04637.jpg
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013