The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 32
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Posts
    160

    Default Balt amour... thought opinions?

    Im looking for a hunter sire that is homozygous bay. I like Balta mour, but havent seen many foals by him. Anyone have experiences with him? What kind of mare does he cross best with?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 3, 2012
    Location
    Among the mosquitos and horse flies
    Posts
    283

    Default

    Can't answer as far as his producing abilities but I have seen him in person and he has a GREAT personality and is quite impressive in the looks department. Has a great presence



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Location
    Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    I believe that he's young enough that he doesnt have a lot of foal crops in the ground and most/all havent been started under saddle yet

    I love what I see of him - his jump and his movement and I love the foals Ive seen by him as well



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 17, 2009
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    464

    Default

    He does not have many foals on the ground but I'm expecting one in 2013 out of a proven DWB mare. I like what I have seen of his foals.
    Our mare is a bigger more old-style mare with a stellar hunter career. I'm hoping to retain her great canter and jump but add a little refinement and a better trot.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2000
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    1,723

    Default

    As has been indicated, Balt'Amour hasn't bred extensively so it's still wait and see on what he consistently produces. I own his dam and his full sister though so I've done a ton of research on his relatives. Given that, combined what I personally know of his mother, father, grandmother and sister, I think you can reliably expect very good jump technique, light footed, graceful movement that can hack, a modern elegant type and a very strong topline.

    Frankly, I'm REALLY surprised more hunter breeders haven't used him given the strength of his pedigree, his jump and his beautiful type.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec. 14, 2007
    Location
    Wilsonville, Ontario, CANADA
    Posts
    4,408

    Default

    ^^

    I agree on the "hunter breeders" comment. He really looks like an elegant stallion that jumps in perfect hunter form and I love what Im seeing of his foals thus far ...

    Here is a link to some pictures and info on him

    http://marabetfarm.us/idstallion.html



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    599

    Default

    Slightly confused... You want a stallion who is homozygous bay, but are interested in a black stallion?

    Balt Amor's sire is homozygous black, as is Cunningham I believe (under the grey). I'm not sure I can think of any HUNTER sires proven to be homozygous for Agouti on top of black. Abke may be homozgyous for black as well as brown, but I haven't looked that hard.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 4, 2001
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,217

    Default

    Ralando is homozygous bay. He is being stood for the first time this year. Lovely stallion.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Posts
    264

    Default Balt'Amour

    Sorry to be so late to the conversation. Was out at the 70 Day stallion Test.

    Balt'Amour is homozygeous black which means he can only produce black or bay offspring. Most have been bay so far but a few are black. Chestnut mares have had bays and bay and black mares have had black so far. I am not an expert on color genology so I don't know if that is the way it will always be. All but one jet black colt have some white legs and lots have stars and snips.

    Equally as important is that Balt'Amour is producing exceptional athletes. His oldest offspring are only 3 years old but we have them undersaddle now and they are showing great promise. Both Hunters and Dressage horses. His son Bragging Rights MF won the 2 year old Jump Chute Championships at the YHS and we have a full sister to him that is also going to be an amazing jumper.

    Balt'Amour is also stamping his foals with terrific conformation. Our neighbor bred her Quarterhorse mare to him and got a colt who is so nice that Ray Francis is going to be showing him on the line next year as a yearling. Bragging Rights MF also showed on the line with good success.

    I hope you'll consider giving Balt'Amour a try. I know you won't be dissappointed!

    Thanks so much for your interest.

    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

    Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Not sure how this is confusing>>> homozygous bay/black. I think the idea is apparent...






    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonD View Post
    Slightly confused... You want a stallion who is homozygous bay, but are interested in a black stallion?

    Balt Amor's sire is homozygous black, as is Cunningham I believe (under the grey). I'm not sure I can think of any HUNTER sires proven to be homozygous for Agouti on top of black. Abke may be homozgyous for black as well as brown, but I haven't looked that hard.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Posts
    160

    Default

    Maggie,
    Thank so much for the info! Your stallions are very nice! congrats on how well bliss did at the testing!


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShannonD View Post
    Slightly confused... You want a stallion who is homozygous bay, but are interested in a black stallion?

    Balt Amor's sire is homozygous black, as is Cunningham I believe (under the grey). I'm not sure I can think of any HUNTER sires proven to be homozygous for Agouti on top of black. Abke may be homozgyous for black as well as brown, but I haven't looked that hard.
    I don't believe Balt'Amour's sire (Balta'Czar) is homozygeous. He is sabino, but that's it. Balt'Amour got his black genes from his motherline. The great Libella V (Hilda Gurney's Olympic horse and foundation mare is where it came from. She had a jet black daughter named Lilly who is the dam of La Laureate, who is the dam of Donna's mare Papillon, Balt'Amour's mother. Again, not an expert on this but I believe this is correct.

    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

    Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding


    1 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bellaalexander View Post
    Maggie,
    Thank so much for the info! Your stallions are very nice! congrats on how well bliss did at the testing!
    Thanks so much. It was very exciting to see Bliss MF prove himself!

    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

    Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding


    1 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2012
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    I don't believe Balt'Amour's sire (Balta'Czar) is homozygeous. He is sabino, but that's it. Balt'Amour got his black genes from his motherline.
    It is incorrect. Balta'Czar, who is bay/brown, is homozygous for black as is Balt'Amour which simply means they can not produce chestnut. For BA to be homozygous black he had to get one copy of the black gene from BOTH parents. Since BA is black, his foals that are bay/brown are because the mare carries and passes the agouti gene which restricts black to the points (red based horses can carry it but it does not show on red, only black bases). BA does not pass any agouti since he does not have it to pass (black horses don't have the gene). Make sense? Homozygosity has to come from both sides.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by COTHalter44 View Post
    It is incorrect. Balta'Czar, who is bay/brown, is homozygous for black as is Balt'Amour which simply means they can not produce chestnut. For BA to be homozygous black he had to get one copy of the black gene from BOTH parents. Since BA is black, his foals that are bay/brown are because the mare carries and passes the agouti gene which restricts black to the points (red based horses can carry it but it does not show on red, only black bases). BA does not pass any agouti since he does not have it to pass (black horses don't have the gene). Make sense? Homozygosity has to come from both sides.
    Interesting! Was never clear on how it worked. I thought I has seen chestnut offspring from Balta'Czar (there appears to be at least one on his progeny page) but thanks for explaining this. It is way too confusing for me!!!
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

    Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2012
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieF View Post
    Interesting! Was never clear on how it worked. I thought I has seen chestnut offspring from Balta'Czar (there appears to be at least one on his progeny page) but thanks for explaining this. It is way too confusing for me!!!
    I just looked at his offspring page and while a few could be mistaken for chestnuts in those pictures, they are definitely bay. Plus, if the high whites come up over the knee/hock it masks the black points on the legs.



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jul. 17, 2006
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,113

    Default

    I am one of those people who has a "wild" bay Balta'Czar baby that TONS of people have mistaken for chestnut in pictures... she is a bright, orange-tinged bay and her black points are faded and only come up to the bottom of her fetlocks. Her mane & tail are also faded and mixed with brown/red - her forelock has "singed" ends, fiery red tips which is really cool up close!
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28724...46770113rtYCou



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2009
    Posts
    352

    Default

    Balta' Czar has never produced a chestnut. He is definitely homozygous black.



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Dec. 13, 1999
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    35,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ASBJumper View Post
    I am one of those people who has a "wild" bay Balta'Czar baby that TONS of people have mistaken for chestnut in pictures... she is a bright, orange-tinged bay and her black points are faded and only come up to the bottom of her fetlocks. Her mane & tail are also faded and mixed with brown/red - her forelock has "singed" ends, fiery red tips which is really cool up close!
    http://pets.webshots.com/photo/28724...46770113rtYCou
    How cute!! I don't know why they'd think she's chestnut, unless the think "no tall black legs, therefore must be red" LOL She's so clearly bay with the black mane and tail, and she's clearly got little black ankles.

    She's going to be interesting to watch. She may well get more black on her legs as she gets a bit older. Some of these start walking a fine line between calling them wild bay and regular bay. Darnit, I wish they'd hurry up with a wild bay test!

    Quote Originally Posted by bellaalexander View Post
    Not sure how this is confusing>>> homozygous bay/black. I think the idea is apparent...
    It IS confusing as the OP stated it. "Homozygous bay" implies the horse will only produce bay when bred to black/bay/chestnut horses. That's not at all the same as a homozygous black horse who will only produce bay OR black when bred to b/b/c horses.

    Looking at a black stallion means the horse is not homozygous bay - can't be, he doesn't have even a single bay gene or he'd be bay.
    ______________________________
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances. - ET



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Oct. 10, 2008
    Location
    Palm Beach Gardens, FL
    Posts
    264

    Default

    ASBJumper - What a pretty girl!!!

    Maggie
    www.MarabetFarm.com
    Standing Balt'Amour, Bliss MF & Carry On MF

    Sales, Stallion & Young Horse training, lessons
    Foaling, Collecting Stallions, ET, Custom Breeding



Similar Threads

  1. San Amour
    By Indy-lou in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Aug. 19, 2010, 01:36 AM
  2. San Amour
    By lolita1 in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Aug. 11, 2010, 04:45 PM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: Apr. 26, 2010, 12:05 AM
  4. San Amour
    By graystonefarm in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Apr. 18, 2010, 04:49 PM
  5. Boarding Barns in Balt/Harford County MD
    By Lauren12 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Nov. 1, 2009, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness