The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Shark Tank

Did anyone catch the episode with the "no fly cone"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p9UgSj2Mc

I think it's a pretty clever product, but my son and I talked about his presentation.

If he would have had numbers, he may have gotten an investor. I mean really, how many fly strips do you go through every summer? He didn't provide any information, like how many horses there are in the country, how many "traditional" fly strips are sold, and he didn't touch on any other ag business. I imagine cow farmers, pig farmers, etc. would use these.

I hate those nasty things. I'd far rather use a product like this, that I don't end up walking into and doing the ooogie fly strip dance.

I hope he finds an investor or can sell his idea to a large company.
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

I saw it and was definitely intrigued by the product!! I'm not squicked out by poop like the sharks were. I wonder if you could substitute horse manure?
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by dani0303 View Post
    I saw it and was definitely intrigued by the product!! I'm not squicked out by poop like the sharks were. I wonder if you could substitute horse manure?
    My son's reaction was "They are obviously NOT country people". LOL

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

We dairy and would never use a product like that on our dairy. It wouldn't be cost effective or make sense to try and position them over the 30 acres our parlor, barns, corrals, pens and feed storage areas cover. We have an outside firm come in and spray for flies twice a week and spread fly bait.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    We dairy and would never use a product like that on our dairy. It wouldn't be cost effective or make sense to try and position them over the 30 acres our parlor, barns, corrals, pens and feed storage areas cover. We have an outside firm come in and spray for flies twice a week and spread fly bait.

Thanks for the input - I had no idea if it would be a product outside of a horse barn or not. I'll be the first to admit I know NOTHING about cows. Frankly, I'm a little terrified of them.

The Sharks are idiots.

That thing is awesome. But what is it- a paper cone with glue on the underside? And how much for one of these? They are missing the magic of the dog poop attractant. That's the money shot right there.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Thanks for the input - I had no idea if it would be a product outside of a horse barn or not. I'll be the first to admit I know NOTHING about cows. Frankly, I'm a little terrified of them.
    Haha, I was, too, for the longest time. Dairy cows are much easier to get along with than most beef cows, since they are handled all the time. On the flip side, dairy bulls are much worse than beef bulls.

I always thought that Jerseys, the little brown ones, were so nice and sweet and the only two cows that have EVER charged me were Jerseys. One kept coming after me!
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I like the idea, also, and can see where it would be extremely useful in any horse barn or small hobby farm. I don't think he's ever going to get rich on it, but, I do think that there is a place for the product. I'd certainly buy it, though I'd have to put it over cat poop.

I knew that there was a reason that I didn't watch Shark Tank. I'd be afraid to be partnering with any of them, they oggg me out.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

I happened to catch it and I snickered right along with O'Leary. I thought for a minute Herjavec was going to bite but he didn't either. I thought the idea would only be workable in a city yard, not a farm; the contraption is just too small.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Lol! I leapt out of my chair when I saw Bruce on TV! I was his training partner for a year, and he introduced me to my heart horse. He's a truly amazing trainer... The best I've ever met at starting greenies.

I think where he went wrong was trying to make his fly cone appeal more to a suburban crowd. We would certainly put these around the barn!
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

I was so frustrated with that episode because I really think he missed the boat with his marketing.

Flies are attracted to anything edible to flies. Which is pretty much everything. He should have positioned them for around garbage cans, outside restaurants, etc. They would be a perfect environmentally friendly product since they don't contain chemicals and birds wouldn't be able to get caught on them like they do the traditional hanging sticky fly tapes. You could also use them in the kitchen over a fruit basket to trap fruit flies.

The fact that he kept trying to sell it to put over dog feces is what killed any of the sharks potential interest.

I was intrigued by the product so Idid some googling. Smartpak used to sell them but the comments weren't too positive. It seems the sticky inside wasn't strong enough and they were selling for something like $17 a cone!!!

I think if he did some improvements to the adhesive and was able to get his costs down, it might be a good idea.

I saw the episode and thought that he did pitch it badly, with the dog aspect.
    But for barn use, I'd like to see it weighted down with something. My horse would have that flipped in his paddock in minutes.