The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Cool Kill the Cone Of Shame!

So my Berner is sporting a Cone Of Shame thanks to a grooming wound. New groomer gouged him while removing matts behind his ear, left a 1 1/2 in skin flap hanging down. Didn't tell me. $1094 later he has a 4 in incision and a COS to wear for a while.

My doofy giant stuffed toy trophydog, Hero, distrusts this new alien SpaceBerner. Gives him/it the stinkeye and attacked said COS when Tai went to scratch, making that loud scratch-on-plastic noise

So this morning we put everyone out and were making coffee when we heard a noise. We look outside to in time to see Hero yanking COS off and send it flying through the air. When it landed Hero ran over and peed on it.

Alien Space Cone of Shame defeated. And humiliated.

Gonna be a long week.
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh Hero.....

So, if you don't mind me asking, how did you handle things with the groomer? I only ask because I had a situation where the groomer cut my dog and it didn't necessarily end how I had though a situation like that should.

You do realise we need pictures, don't you??
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Not a groomer, but even I know how to use a mat splitter - very carefully.
    I'd be presenting this groomer with the repair bill from the vet.

A co-worker's lab pup had a Cone of Shame after nearly slicing off that little vestigial pad at the back of the foot. As if an 8-month-old lab puppy isn't clumsy enough. . .

Anyway, far from hating it, he discovered it was enormously fun to intentionally bash stuff with it. My poor co-worker had crescent-shaped bruises all over her legs.

LOL! That's quite an image!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Anyway, far from hating it, he discovered it was enormously fun to intentionally bash stuff with it. My poor co-worker had crescent-shaped bruises all over her legs.
    My sister's dog broke her leg after escaping from her fenced in yard a few years ago (on the morning my sister was trying to get from Richmond to NOVA to drop said dog off with me, get to the Dulles to catch a flight to Chicago for a job interview that afternoon...needless to say, said dog was not her favorite person that morning). Said dog quickly discovered that the cast was GREAT FUN to use to beat the living tar out of the other dogs. She spent her entire time in the cast knocking her friends absolutely senseless.

One of our barn cats got chewed up a few months ago, and had to live in a COS in the office for a couple of weeks. He wanted to pout under the couch, but would get stuck by the COS...so, I propped up the couch so he could get in and out of his pout spot without getting hung up. I'm a good mom

1 members found this post helpful.

How the heck did that turn into a 1K bill?

Oyyy. Yes, that can easily run a $1000 bill.

IV catheter, fluids, anesthetic, monitoring, cleaning wound, stitching, antibiotics. Yep...

I hate cones, I always feel sorry for the clients we send home with them. Ending the discharge appointment with "good luck" and "watch your legs!"

I think I might be having a talk with the groomer about the vet bill! Was it an independent shop or a chain? I only ask because I know the big box pet stores with groomers inside generally have a contingency plan / emergency care form that you have to sign when you drop them off.
    Life-long horse lover, dreaming of the day when I have one of my very own.

My 7 month old Chesapeake got smacked in the eye by a log and needed stitches and the COS. First one was the clear one, but it's a harder plastic so it HURTS when she'd walk into you. Then she'd be out in the driveway sniffing around and I swear she was sharpening the edges... Took 2 days for her to get it off and chew it up. So, I put the one we had on her and that took less than 24 hours to remove and destroy. She wasn't bugging her eye, so we just gave up.

Here's the first cone:
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427.../404632257.jpg

6 days later, she runs into barbed wire at the cabin, and had a puncture right where her front leg meets her shoulder. Right where she can still lick it. I opted for a much better solution. This worked much better and didn't hurt when she walked into you!!

And notice she looks MUCH happier with her built in airplane pillow.
    http://pic50.picturetrail.com/VOL427.../404632258.jpg
    Last edited by Sabino; Nov. 14, 2012 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Changed picture to the correct one

My guy came home w/ a cone after his surgery two weeks ago. I told them I didn't need it. (I already have a collection of them at home) I really didn't want to take another (and get charged $$)

But they insisted.

What they don't know is that my dog hates the cone so much that if he even looks at his incision site the wrong way, all I have to do is say "Do you need the cone?" and he stops. LOL

We've had far too much practice.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.