The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dueling grapefruit-sized oozing umbilical edemas!

What's the Dx for double grapefruit-sized, serum-oozing umbilical edemas and assorted (maybe 15 or 20) other marble-sized, hard lumps on the neck, jowl, flank, and legs? Some of which are also oozing?

Photo of main massive swelling here.

One vet said (over the phone) maybe onchocerciasis, but the one we saw in person yesterday said the presentation was atypical for oncho, and suggested either pigeon fever or "hypersensitivity." Treating with dex and Dermalone (steroid) cream. And Equimax in case it's oncho.

Ultrasound did not reveal abscesses or pus pockets, but oozing serum was cultured and sent off for pigeon fever test. Results in 5-7 days.

Mare practically faints with pleasure when the afflicted area is washed and treated, so it's obviously super-itchy and possibly not completely agonizing.

Incidentally, this is the same mare some of you might recall from the "mare cribs with wrong end" thread. She's a laugh a minute.

What is your weather like? Any biting insects around? I'd be inclined to guess an allergic reaction to some kind of bite. I also knew a horse that got (what seemed to be) hives, but the dry itchy lumps turned into serum-y crusty lumps. The vet in that case also diagnosed an allergic reaction of some type. It was rare enough that I don't think the owner sought any more in terms of diagnosis but did treat the reaction topically and (I'm pretty sure) systemically.
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Bees or wasps?

Oh heck yeah, we have voracious blood-sucking and stinging insects out the wazoo here in Cottonmouth County. In fact, one of the vet's suggestions was fire ants, although because of the location and nature of the assorted inflammations, this theory seemed pretty far-fetched. Based on the 6 years I didn't spend in vet school, allergic reaction to gnats or whatever seems more plausible to me. The new fly sheet is ordered in any case.

Are you taking her temperature and is it normal? Not that I would know, but that seems an appropriate think to track.

Yeah, temp and respiration all normal. In fact, the whole horse is normal, except for the pus-bags. She's eating, drinking, nickering, and smushing her butt up against things just like she always does.

2 members found this post helpful.