The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can horses eat cauliflower leaves?

I'm cleaning out my garden to manure it over for winter, including harvesting some very nice late cauliflower. Of course, those plants are 90% greens, and I only want the white. The horses are hanging out at the fence nickering. Is there anything harmful about these plants to equines?

Seems like I remember something about the plants (and white part flowers) causing excess gas. Not sure if it related to horses, but I wouldn't feed cauliflower to horses "just in case". Not worth a session of gas pain, for me OR the horse.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Seems like I remember something about the plants (and white part flowers) causing excess gas. Not sure if it related to horses, but I wouldn't feed cauliflower to horses "just in case". Not worth a session of gas pain, for me OR the horse.
    Most of the cruciferous veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, kale, brussels sprouts, etc) are not great for horses or rabbits. (Who have very similar digestive systems.) I cannot imagine that a few leaves would bother your ponies too much, in fact they'd probably enjoy them, but for peace of mind I probably wouldn't feed them too much.

(And yes, you always get those folks who ramble on about how they used to give old Rover a bar of dark chocolate every day and he lived 'til 20, but I tend to stick to the "safe side" when it comes to animals that incur giant vet bills from upset tummies!)

Yup - GAS-O-RAMA. Except for maybe a couple of pieces as a rare treat, not good for livestock - horses, goats, rabbits, even poultry included - in large quantities or on a regular basis.

Not listed as harmful here. http://www.esc.rutgers.edu/publicati...iles/fs062.pdf

I would not feed them a lot in a single day.

Quote Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post
    I love the title of your linked paper: Odd Things that Horses Eat

also: "Safe in very limited quantities - Tobacco (consumed, not inhaled)"

From now on, only one pack a day for my mare!

2 members found this post helpful.

My gelding would go nuts for a bite of a Big Mac. I'd give him a little of the bun, but never the burger itself. Wish I'd known it would be okay. He'd have loved it.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

1 members found this post helpful.

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

As a clueless little girl we thought it was awesome that our pony loved sausage biscuits, beer, Sugar Daddies, cans of lemonade and Coke, bagels with a schmear, peanut butter sandwiches etc etc. The booger lived to be 38!

Thanks for the link, DH and I had never heard that Sudan grass was toxic, and since that is something we sometimes have on site for the cows it was a nice heads up
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Marijuana is on the safe in limited quantities list...but, maresy would have to move to a different state for that one! She does love bananas and grapes...and granola bars...and peppermints...and sandwich bread...and celery...and Coke. LOVES Coke...right out of the can!