The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is this dressage stallion worth?

I have been looking for a warmblood dressage stallion for quite some time, and I think I've finally found what I want. Although, my friend thinks he is priced too high. I don't want to disclose too much, as the stallion currently isn't being advertised and after all of this time, I don't want someone else to come in and snatch him up if I can make this work.

Stallion is in his mid-teens, big boy. Was imported from Europe and shown in Europe at Prix St. George with very good, consistent scores. Stallion has been over in North America for about 2 years but hasn't been shown at all. Mostly just doing clinics with his owner, who really isn't interested in showing, but enjoys clinics and sitting and doing all of the tricks. Gorgeous mover, great conformation, sound, current clean x-rays. I'm confident he could go right back into the Prix St. George ring in North America and win quite a lot. Thoughts?
    Last edited by It's A Numbers Game; Nov. 11, 2012 at 07:49 PM.

Its hard to say without a show record here. If he was showing here recently and doing well I'd go at least 100k
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

This is tricky because of his age and lack of show record. If he had a very good one before being imported and is still sound, I'd say around $100k. He's just on the verge of being discounted heavily. Usually, 17+ is the age where the price really dives. If you are planning on breeding him, would do a sperm check. Because of how he's been used here, he could be healthier and sounder than if being heavily bred and shown. Would see if could get him for $65k.

Btw, if you were looking for an andalusian stallion at GP, you could buy and import one from Spain that is younger for the $100k.

IMO, A midteens dressage horse with a good PSG record, sound...would be around 70k. I'm not sure how the fact that he is a stallion without progeny would change that.....I would be really interested though in how this all works out.

If you are thinking of getting him to use for breeding, are his bloodlines something that mare owners would be interested in?