The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage Coat

I am making my christmas list (yes i'm 26 and still make a christmas list for my mom and husband) and really need a coat for rated shows. What should I be looking for? This will be my one and only coat for shows. I have seen long and short styles, is one more in style than the other? Should I stick to solid black? I feel like I should be but find myself drawn to pinstripes and other pretties. Any brands I should stick to/avoid?

Just in case this matters - I am 5'3 and a size 0/2 in regular clothes. Regular length torso but short, chunky legs.

The new technical fabric they are now using is fantastic! Throw it right in the wash and hang to dry. No more dry cleaning. Also it's so light weight making it great in the heat of the summer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by WannabeDQ View Post
    What should I be looking for?

Just in case this matters - I am 5'3 and a size 0/2 in regular clothes. Regular length torso but short, chunky legs.
    Are there any local shops where you can play "dressup" - go on a day when you've loads of time & try to bring along a nicely critical friend to help with the assessments

If you don't have the right friend, then hopefully you find a shop with some friendly, knowledgeable staff

You'll likely find that different sizes in different brands fit best, & some you'll like rather better than others ...

You do not have to do solid black or even black, just a nice dark "color" EXCEPT if you know your local judges & they are ultra-conservavtive, you may wish to be somewhat conservative in your turnout as well.

You'll likely find some fabulous deals on older style/fabric coats, so this is also a consideration - otherwise, I'd also choose washable techno fabric for fit & convenience of care.

I second the technical fabrics which are awesome and so much easier to maintain. I prefer the more "trendy" short coats (I don't think it's a trend, I think it's an evolution IMHO), but you should get the style that looks best on your body.

I now have a custom short coat in brown (subtle) pinstripe, and the Pikeur Scarlett coat in the black pinstripe. Of course I also have 3 older coats that I no longer wear that I keep meaning to ebay. Sigh... Apparently I am a clothes horse (or is that whore )
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

Thank you for the replies, I will look out for the tech fabrics when I next make a trip to the tack shop.

Pony Fixer - the Pikeur Scarlett was the pinstripe coat I was looking at.... gorgeous! Do you like it? The tack shop closest to me never has pikeur coats in stock so I haven't been able to try them on.

It's my favorite coat! I am wearing it in my profile pic. It isn't so short that it looks like a hunt coat, and I never am fixing the back of the frock while I ride (from the inevitable sitting on them). It is not one of the new "tech" fabrics, but it is light weight and the pinstripe is very subtle.
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

I love my coat even though it's a wee bit tight. I bought in eBay, it's a Kentucky (I think?), it is wool (oh my yes, it is wool), and it is so old that the label says "Made in West Germany."

Leslie in Ohio

The new technical fabrics are awesome but I'd be careful of getting the trendy shorter lengths unless you know they look great on you but doesn't work for everyone. If you'll have only one coat, black or navy blue are the most common. You need to try on different brands to see what you like best

I have given up trying to find a nice, lightweight coat that will actually fit me, sigh. I'm slender but with broad shouders and 36 B and long waisted. Finding a coat to fit has not been easy, so I found a tailor and ordered a pattern from Dressage Extensions. Now I get to go fabric shopping!!! I've never done this before - does anyone have sugestions for what type of fabric would make a nice lightweight coat that won't cause heatstroke in July?
    Thank you very much!