The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Set up for Dog Groomer?

Like many people on the Off Course forum, I'd love to open a tack shop, but I know it's very difficult, if not impossible to make any money. Maybe it would work if I had basic tack and riding supplies, and basic dog/cat food and supplies AND had a space for a dog groomer.

So please tell me what type of facility a dog groomer would like. The space I was envisioning for the dog groomer is about 20 x 20 feet, has a full bathroom, and has it's own exterior door. It's part of a 1700 sq. ft. building that's currently a rental house, but a major five lane road starts construction next year. There are nice subdivisions all around, and no dog grooming shop in the area at this time. It's set back enough off the road to allow for parking, and the local planning and zoning people envision some retail spaces springing up along the new road. I own the building outright and don't see it having a future as a rental house once the road comes through. It's a nice house, but that road is going to be very busy.

The next question is, do dog groomers ever lease space in a building like a hairdresser would? We used to take our poodle to a groomer that had her own shop, and we have used a wonderful mobile groomer for the Newfie. It seems logical that a neighborhood dog groomer would do well, but I could be totally wrong.

Please educate and enlighten me. Thanks!
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Yes to leasing buildings! I have a friend who has opened a few over the years, PM for info and I can get you in touch.

You would need to provide a hot/cold bathing station that has a ramp for larger dogs, one that is accessible to a standing person. Also the room should have heat and a/c. Lots of electrical outlets that are mid wall height for clippers and blow dryers etc.

Access to an outside area for dog piddling and pooping that is fenced.

Must have really good lighting natural and overhead for grooming.

There should be cabinet space available for storage of grooming products etc.

If you build it they will come. But without the nice bathing station you won't get a groomer to rent your space. That would be non-negotiable to any groomers that I know.
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

1 members found this post helpful.

We had a local dog groomer in a small town that had a "bath your own dog" station set up separately from the rest of the groomer's area. It got a lot of traffic.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cowboymom, our local pet store has a set up like that in the back of the store. It is very popular! You would need two bathing stations, one for the groomer and one for the outside traffic. The pet store charges by size, small med large and includes shampoo and conditioner and grooming tables set up with blow dryers, towels etc. You have to bring your own brushes etc. They do a ton of business back there! Great idea!!!! Good little money maker and a great way to introduce folks to the groomer to build her business!

All of the above plus a hydraulic table to groom on.

The last place I worked had step in tubs with the cut out in the back, not the side (so on the short side rather than long). They were much, much easier to use & maintain than the traditional side-open tubs. With an eye for a noose on the "front" short side, it was much easier to keep, uh, "reluctant" canine clients from looking for an escape route, and the cut out being so far away from the water source kept the floor much dryer than the traditional grooming tubs.

Make sure your power supply is ample as well. Dryers & vacuums suck a lot of wattage, and there are few things more aggravating than tripping a circuit with a half dry "reluctant" client on the table.

I think with a nice, thoughtful set-up you will have no problems finding a groomer to occupy the space. I'd do it if I was in your area!
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I wish there were more "bathe your own" places where I live. Riley is 65 lbs and bending down in the shower/tub is murder on my back and knees. I was using a self wash that supplied everything from toenail clippers, shampoo, conditioner, ear wipes, all the towels I needed, plus a blower. All for 10 bucks. Smaller dogs paid less. This I did not understand, I was in and out quicker than some of the little dogs and use less water because Riley is a short haired dog. I think it should be charged by the minute after a certain time. Like, $10.00-15 for everyone and then after you go past 20 mins you start to take on more money. It should be like turning and burning tables at a restaurant.

It was just down the road from a very busy dog park, on Saturdays and Sundays there was a line out the door.

I would use a self wash station once a month if I had one where I live now.

ETA: you will also need crates: small, med, and large for the dogs to go in that are being dried and are waiting to be groomed. And then for each crate or at least a bunch of, driers that attach to the wire and blow warm air on the dog. When I groomed we would blow most of the wet off the dog but when they were damp would stick them in a crate with another dryer to get the rest of the wet out.

you will also need a shop vac.

ETA: you will also need crates: small, med, and large for the dogs to go in that are being dried and are waiting to be groomed. And then for each crate or at least a bunch of, driers that attach to the wire and blow warm air on the dog. When I groomed we would blow most of the wet off the dog but when they were damp would stick them in a crate with another dryer to get the rest of the wet out.

you will also need a shop vac.[/QUOTE]

I would think that this type of equipment would be for the groomer to supply. Investing in nice metal crates and pads could be very expensive. A groomer should have all this in stock. Including shop vac etc. All extras should be provided by the groomer leasing the facility. Once the infrastructure is in the rest is up to the groomer, tables, supplies, crates, everything. You could talk to the groomer about splitting marketing costs to bring people in. The groomer should have an established client base and not be a newbie just starting out.

It would be like getting a furnished apt vs unfurnished. You never know what type of crates, tables etc a groomer may prefer. Therefore the responsibility for providing all those items are part of the groomer's livelihood.

We leased out the grooming suite in our veterinary clinic. The groomer paid rent. We provided the kennels, dryers and a grooming table. Groomer provided all other tools. I think it would make sense to check out grooming shops in your general area and see what they've got going on. I don't imagine it would be that hard to lease out the space. Good luck!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...