The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default I did a bad thing... puppy pictures!

Mr. Heinz called me from work to tell me he'd left his wallet at home, and asked if I would bring him some money for lunch. As I arrived, he called to tell me that there was a man with puppies outside the store - and they look just like Bubba (our 2yo smooth coat border collie) and the whole spiel about the mother being the guy's brother's son's therapy dog and they bought her not knowing she was pregnant, and so on. (whether or not I believe that's true is another story)

This is the husband of mine that has told me numerous times that no, we do not need any more animals, none. Two horses, two dogs, and the inherited barn cat is plenty. BUT, as we're eating, he keeps mentioning the puppies and how cute they are, and how they look just like Bubba. So I said I'd look at them when we got back, who doesn't love a little puppy love. I know buying puppies from a desperate guy with a box in a parking lot is a BAD BAD THING, so please don't remind me. Our dogs are well cared for, eat fancy shmancy food, sleep on the bed and have more toys than I do. Did I mention we have a 7 month old GSD puppy also?

Needless to say, we now have a tiny little black and white puppy named Ruger. However, I'm afraid little Ruger is not, in fact, 7 weeks and 5 days old as the man said...he looks more like 5 or so weeks, unless he's a serious runt or crossed with something other than BC (entirely possible). Teeth are there, but he's slow moving and a little wobbly on his legs still. Mr. Heinz slept on the couch with the little guy last night, and he's spent most of the day passed out on his lap between potty breaks. Mr. Heinz is a sucker and has sent me about two dozen pictures in the last six hours.

Regardless, here is the little guy:

Ruger
    Ruger

He's about the same size, maybe a little bigger, as my boss' chihuahua puppies were at 8/9 weeks, if that's any indicator. We haven't weighed him yet.

ETA: the other BC (45lb) looking at him: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...264/ruger4.jpg
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

1 members found this post helpful.

I wouldn't have been able to resist either. He's a cutie.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Mr. Heinz is good people. Keep him.

4 members found this post helpful.

Aww. He is cute. At least if he had to be weaned too early he's going to a home with other dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by carp View Post
    Aww. He is cute. At least if he had to be weaned too early he's going to a home with other dogs.
    Very true. He's hiding inside my jacket right now, I'm afraid the transition from litter to being alone is a little hard for him - when I got home he'd been by himself in a small crate for about an hour and I could hear him screaming bloody murder from outside my house. Poor little guy. I warned Mr. Heinz that he could end up like our other BC, who has mild separation anxiety. The more the merrier, I suppose!

Pretty cute! If he's under developed, good nutrition and vet care will probably be all he needs to catch up to what a puppy his age should be doing. We've taken in puppies that were retarded, but with deworming and a better diet they made HUGE improvements in a short time. The first time we came across that, it was a biiiiig eye opener when suddenly our three foster puppies realized they were crazy 8 week old pugs and they might as well start acting like it!!
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Mr. Heinz is a keeper and so is that adorable puppy!!!!!

LOL....................looks like you have 2 winners there.....pooch and hubby..........good for you. kudos to all

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post

ETA: the other BC (45lb) looking at him: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/10...264/ruger4.jpg
    "I shall call him....Mini-Me." (Someone had to say it.)

Note to self, don't marry an enabler unless you want to live in a zoo! I'm sure that if he is an early-weaned puppy, probably he hasn't' been separated that long and as long as you provide good nutrition, he'll be fine.

Mr. Heinz is a keeper.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Mr. Heinz is a keeper.
    Agreed. Hes been very responsible, waking up with the little guy every hour or two through the night and hasn't complained a bit, impressively. There is hope for him yet! I told him this little one could be "his", so I think he's taking his job seriously.

Today he's a bit more lively, followed me around outside while I fed the horses and then came in and tried to play with the big boys (the GSD ignores him for the most part, the BC tries to play and poke-poke-pokes at him mercilessly ).

He is so cute. As hard as the puppy stage can be, it is so much fun to see them growing and learning things.