The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which would you choose - Adequan or Legend

Short back story - 13 yo ISH has multiple issues - a right stifle that has been injected 2 x in the past, hocks that have never been injected (slightly positive flexion now), a right hind ankle that is a mess radiographically, ringbone on the right hind and navicular on the left front only. However, he is not "lame" now. He's just not as good as he's been in the past. Injecting all of those things is not financially feasible. With that being said, would you chose the Legend route (iv injection 1x per week for 3 weeks) or the Adequan route (7 im injections 4 days apart)? The money is about the same.

Edited to add - I know this horse sounds like a trainwreck but it's really not that bad. I don't know why, but knock on wood, all of these physical maladies don't seem to be a huge deal to him. He happily goes to work and does his job (basically a pleasure horse). I just want to make him more comfortable.
    Last edited by skyy; Nov. 9, 2012 at 08:48 PM.

I would check out Pentosan...
    Adriane
    Happily retired but used to be:
    www.ParrotNutz.com

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Parrotnutz View Post
    I would check out Pentosan...
    That is what I was going to say when I read the title of the thread.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Whoops - left that part out. Pentosan was tried about 6 months ago (loading dose, etc) and it didn't seem to make much of a difference.

Adequan takes a bit longer to work, but works for a lot longer.

Legend acts sooner, but is done must faster.

Adequan is generally for longer term mainteannce.

Legend is generally for pre-event use, such as a few days before a show.

Adequan (or Pentosan) in this situation, hands down

I've always thought that Legend & Adequan both needed to be administered monthly for ongoing efficacy. Do either of them work if you only treat with the loading dose and then stop?

But to answer the question...I tried Adequan before Legend because for me it was cheaper - I'm willing to give Adequan shots (IM) but I want my vet to come out for the Legend shots (IV) so Legend runs much higher for me. Unfortunately my horse didn't respond to the Adequan so I ended up paying more for Legend. So I'd suggest figuring out which is cheaper for you and start there.

One can not be substituted for another. They are different drugs.

Adequan is a chondroprotective agent with no real anti-inflammatory properties.

Legend is a anti-inflammatory in terms that it modifies the synovial environment.

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes, as RAyers said... Legend calms down the synovial fluid/membrane (not quite sure anymore) that surrounds certain types of joints, and Adequan helps protect the supply of chondrocytes that are the nursery of cartilage (a fixed, limited supply of which that, once used up, that's it).

I'm not quite that accurate on how the 2 meds function, but that is the broad gist of the it. Know some people do Adequan AND Pentosan jointly (no pun).

Thank you all. Just so it's said, I plan to continue with monthly maintenance doses of whatever I end up doing. I just put the loading doses in the post so that everyone knew that I planned on doing them correctly. I am able to give IV injections proficiently so I won't need a vet out and the cost of the meds is pretty similar so in that regard, whichever is cheaper won't be the deciding factor.

Since the horse has an immediate issue, it sounds to me (RAyers and cyberbay), that I'd probably be better off trying the Legend first to see if we can calm the inflammation and then going from there. Agreed?

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyBayMare View Post
    I've always thought that Legend & Adequan both needed to be administered monthly for ongoing efficacy. Do either of them work if you only treat with the loading dose and then stop?
    It's actually not proven that giving Adequan once a month actually helps. Adequan does not recommend giving it once a month.

To quote their website (in response to FAQ: Couldn't I just use Adequan once a month?):

A well controlled dose titration study and clinical field trial determined that giving 500mg of Adequan® i.m. (polysulfated glycosaminoglycan) every 4 days for 7 treatments was the optimal dosage.

The uptake and distribution of intramuscular administered tritium labeled Polysulfated Glycosaminoglycan was evaluated in a pharmacokinetic study. Here are the findings of this study after a single intramuscular injection of 500mg of Adequan® i.m.:

Reached peak therapeutic levels in joints within 2 hours
    Detected in cartilage and subchondral bone up to 96 hours1
    Hyaluronic Acid (HA) concentrations significantly increased from 24 through 96 hours, nearly doubling at 48 hours

To achieve maximum benefit of blocking cartilage destruction and stimulating joint repair processes, make sure your horse receives the entire regimen.

Retreat as needed and as prescribed by your veterinarian.
    It does work if you give the loading dose and then stop (without treating once a month). Then, if it does "stop working," you give the loading dose again.