The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Favorite books on conformation?

I have a pretty fat and comprehensive book on sport horse conformation but there are a few details that the author confuses me about. So I clearly need to read further! What good recommendations do you have for me? Thanks--

I would read the Deb Bennet series in Equus. They are designed to teach. They are really good.

1 members found this post helpful.

Google Dr. Marvin Beeman. Comprehensive papers on "Form and Function". You might be able to download.

Thanks! I did read and reread the Deb Bennett article on foreleg evaluation in Sept Equus (don't have a subscription) and was impressed. Do you know if this was drawn from one of her books?

Will right now go google Dr Beeman...

He pioneered this subject -- I would guess that most later gurus were either mentored by him or studied his work extensively.

His analysis is legendary -- but please know that he divided his analysis by breed and intended use.."form and function" (intended use/sport).

In those days mostly TBs (for racing) and Quarterhorses -- the two most prevalent and $$ horses in the day.

But it is fascinating. Basically it is all physics. How to build the horse for the intended use for long term soundness.

I suspect there is nothing on dressage because these were written long before the sport became so popular. But his work is invaluable about locomotion, the forces of that locomation on the horses' structure and how that affect perfomance and longevitity. A little technical but well worth the study -- especially for breeders or those looking to buy a horse for a specific discipline.

Have fun!

Dr. Deb's Secrets of Conformation (DVD) and her paperback series Principles of Conformation Analysis (3 books) are both available on Amazon.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

I have Dr Deb's video and it is very good and pretty easy to understand. There is a new book just out called Sport Horse Conformation which may be useful!

The Horse Conformation Handbook by Heather Smith Thomas is pretty good. Used it in college.

Also like Dr Deb books/videos.
    P.

Quote Originally Posted by Polydor View Post
    The Horse Conformation Handbook by Heather Smith Thomas is pretty good. Used it in college.

Also like Dr Deb books/videos.
    P.
    Agree 100%. It's very thorough AND easy to understand. Plus it's only $15 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Conforma...ation+Handbook