The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Which truck would you buy?

My beloved F250 (affectionately named Por Favor by my daughter) was totaled by a tree during Hurricane Sandy... unfortunately, i am on the hunt for a replacement... on a limited budget (that of the insurance payment.) Por Favor was an '06 with almost 100,000 miles on her...

I found 2 potential replacements...

Truck A: 2005 F 250 diesel, 8' bed Super cab. couple of dents. drove nicely. 59,000 miles. This truck when all is said and done is about $4,000 over my budget.

Truck B: going to drive tomorrow: 2007 F 250 gas (not sure if it's an 8' bed or 6 1/2 foot bed) Crew cab, 54,000 miles. within my budget..

if you had the choice and liked both trucks equally, which would you choose?

IF the 2005 is still the 7.3 liter diesel (can't remember what year they switched to the 6.0's), then that'd be my choice.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

1 members found this post helpful.

The switch of engines was in mid-2003. We had a 1996 with the 7.3 and parted with it last year with 285K miles last year. Ended up with Dodge mega cab diesel..so far so good.
    Julie
    www.centaurfencing.com
    Safer, Stronger, Lasts Longer!
    Godspeed BARBARO--Run fast and free!

Its not. It's the 6.0. Since it's out of my budget really, I will probably go with the gas. Just wondering everyone's opinions on gas v. diesel

Quote Originally Posted by myalter1 View Post
    Its not. It's the 6.0. Since it's out of my budget really, I will probably go with the gas. Just wondering everyone's opinions on gas v. diesel
    Wow, gas vs. diesel discussions are almost as thrilling as shoes vs. barefoot; or slaughter vs. no slaughter; or Coke vs. Pepsi!!!!!

There is really no "school" answer. It all depends on how you're going to use the truck.

We ran a one ton gasser for many years without major issue (except that it loved to pass the time drinking in gas stations ). When diesel was cheaper than gas that was a problem. Today the "delta" is much smaller as diesel runs 10-15% more than gas (at least around here).

Get out your yellow pad and a pencil and run some numbers on fuel costs, maintenance costs, etc. You might find that a gasser will run a cent or two less per mile than a diesel.

I'd avoid a 6.0L Ford product like the plague. While a few folks have found success with them there legions of others who have not.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Yeah, ditto to G on the 6.0... no way, no how, nope
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

love the diesel power and torque for hauling, otherwise gas is fine.
    my 7.3 is for sale---pm me about it so i don't get in trouble!

Good to know about the 6.0... I loved my prior F250 and had NO problems at all...until the tree ended up flattening it. LOL. I don't do a TON of hauling. Usually 1 horse or 2 ponies once in a great while (not even averaging once a month.) AND, I'm lucky enough that this is my 3rd vehicle, So i don't have to drive it every day. I am leaning away from the diesel... especially because it's out of my budget by $4,000. Thanks guys for the info. Suz, will try to remember to PM you when I get home!

We have a 2007 F250 crew cab diesel with the 6.5 foot bed. It's been a pretty good truck but the next one will be gas. Our truck is noisy, diesel is getting so expensive, and the bed is simply too short. We will keep this one until it dies though so I guess I am stuck with it for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Guilherme View Post
    I'd avoid a 6.0L Ford product like the plague. While a few folks have found success with them there legions of others who have not.

G.
    This. This.This. If it is a 6.0, run, run, run away!!

Sure, there are always exceptions to the rule, but the rule would be...RUN!!

I might try to find some old discussions of this as well, as they have been informative (and fun!)

Going to check out a different truck today. More miles than I wanted, but it's in nice shape, with a cap for the bed for my dogs....its only a little over budget, so we'll see how it goes. Thanks everyone for steering me clear of the 6.0!!!