The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Best ways to sell a used saddle

Please forgive me if this has been recent topic of discussion, but my search turned up nothing. Feel free to link to a thread if this has been discussed in the past month or so.

Long story short, I'm looking to sell one of my used saddles, a Smith-Worthington Beaufort Lux/Trainer combo. It was a "Design Your Own" model I had made about 7-8 years ago and I have kept it in great condition, but it simply no longer fits my needs or my horse. I've attempted to contact Smith-Worthington as I'm not sure if they take older saddles on consignment to allow clients to try, but haven't heard anything yet. If they don't have any options like that, I would like to find a place to take my saddle that could sell it for me. Does anyone have any recommendations for places that sell used saddles? I live in CT so a reputable place in this area would be preferred, but I'm also willing to send it someplace to sell (is that crazy?). I do have 1-2 tack shops in mind in the immediate area; however items usually sit for a long time before they sell. I understand a saddle is a pricier item than say boots or a jacket, but I don't want to be waiting for a year to have an inquiry made. I also want a place that can give me an honest and knowledgeable current market price for the saddle. I bought it new for around $3,600, but I know it's not a "popular" brand right now, and also isn't a regular stocked saddle. I'm not expecting some crazy amount for it, just fair.
    Anyone have any thoughts/opinions/suggestions?
    Last edited by hunterjumper21; Nov. 9, 2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: spelling

Also Bevals takes saddles on consignment and usually can get a really good price for it. Their commission is not small though.

at work and the barn...middle of nowhere PA

When my mother got fitted for her new-to-her Antares, we asked the rep what he thought her older butet was worth. He said that while he could only give us around $800 for it, that if we were to sell it on our own, that it should sell for around $1,200. So I put it on eBay with a reserve of $1,200 and a buy it now price of $1,500. It sold yesterday for $1,300. eBay only takes a 10% cut, so I pay them $13. It was quick, easy, and I feel it sold for a fair market value. I know butet is a more common brand than SW, but there are likely people out there looking for exactly what you have.

I doubt Fine Used Saddles is going to take the saddle. They generally only take "hot" high-end brands, and while the SW Beaufort EC is a gorgeous saddle, it's not a trendy brand. Ditto with Beval--they would take your saddle, but IMO they are unlikely to attract the kind of client who will recognize your saddle as being highly comparable to a high-end French or British saddle. I've seen British and American brands languish for months or years in the Beval used inventory because that's just not what the average Beval customer is looking to buy.

I would send it somewhere that meets the following criteria:

1. Tend to have clients whose #1 priority is fit for horse and rider, above and beyond the brand label.

2. Tend to have a generous trial policy that will encourage people to sit in the saddle and fall in love with it. Even people who have never seen a Smith Worthington won't be able to deny the quality when they see it and sit in it.

3. Not too far away from Connecticut because Smith Worthington's brand name has more street cred in New England, where you see a lot more of them.

4. Tend to sell retail tack that is pricey enough that anything comparable on the used market looks VERY enticing. The customer you want for a SW Beaufort EC is someone who actually wants an Albion/Black Country/County/Frank Baines and can't afford it.

5. Their used saddles tend to index into Google, which means you're more likely to happen upon that rare customer who's LOOKING specifically for a Smith Worthington used saddle.

Given that, I'd either send it to Trumbull Mountain in Vermont or Pelham Saddlery in New Hampshire. I'd suggest you call before you send the saddle as you may not like the price estimates you hear. To put it mildly, that saddle is a tough resell. The resale value on it is practically a crime considering its quality. But Trumbull or Pelham may be able to get more for it than some other dealers who wouldn't attract the "right" customers.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by GrantanaKC View Post
    When my mother got fitted for her new-to-her Antares, we asked the rep what he thought her older butet was worth. He said that while he could only give us around $800 for it, that if we were to sell it on our own, that it should sell for around $1,200. So I put it on eBay with a reserve of $1,200 and a buy it now price of $1,500. It sold yesterday for $1,300. eBay only takes a 10% cut, so I pay them $13. It was quick, easy, and I feel it sold for a fair market value. I know butet is a more common brand than SW, but there are likely people out there looking for exactly what you have.

I think your estimation of the eBay fees is very off, and don't forget that PayPal also takes a cut.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/insertion-fee.html

Your final value fee on a saddle listed in "Sporting Goods" that ends for $1,300 is $117, not $13.

https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Plus, PayPal will take a percentage of the payment. 2.9 % plus $0.30. so PayPal will take another $38.

So if you sold the saddle and used eBay/PayPal a sale of $1300 nets you $1145. Still better than Beval offered you on trade in by a longshot-- but less than you indicated in your post. You lost 12%. Most tack shops do consignment around 20%-25% but then with eBay you have to do the work of listing, handle shipping, answer questions, etc. and on consignment you don't.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    Ditto with Beval--they would take your saddle, but IMO they are unlikely to attract the kind of client who will recognize your saddle as being highly comparable to a high-end French or British saddle. I've seen British and American brands languish for months or years in the Beval used inventory because that's just not what the average Beval customer is looking to buy.
    Then maybe I was exception, but my lower-end American brand saddle sold very quickly and for not much less than what I paid for it used.

Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    Then maybe I was exception, but my lower-end American brand saddle sold very quickly and for not much less than what I paid for it used.
    IMO the key words in that sentence are "lower-end" and "what I paid for it used." I don't mean to suggest that everybody who shops the Beval used inventory is looking for high end French tack. There is also a strong demographic who shops Beval who's looking for cheaper, highly durable tack suitable for lower-level H/J lesson programs and schooling. For example, I think Beval could pretty easily move a Northrun in the $600-$1200 range, or even a low-end Smith Worthington like the Mystic if they priced it cheaply enough (like maybe $500-$600).

But this thread is about a saddle purchased new at $3500+ that is fairly high end. What seems to languish in the AlltheBestUsedSaddles (aka Beval used) inventory is saddles that are mid-range or high-end but not very recognizable brand names. Stuff like Kentaur, Lovatt and Ricketts, Verhan--and, I would guess, the higher-end Smith Worthington. All nice brands, just not very much street cred, and nice enough/high enough MSRP that owners are reluctant to price them to move. Now of course, if you price anything to move, just about any vendor can move it. I'll just make up some numbers here: Beval would be lucky to move a Beaufort EC at say $1800, but price it at $800-$1000 and somebody would eventually bite. But I don't think Trumbull Mountain would need as much "luck" to move that same Beaufort EC for moe coin. They might price it at, say, $1500-$1800 and sell it to a client who thinks that's a steal compared to buying a $2500 Black Country Quantum brand new.

JMHO as someone who watches the used market really closely. There are exceptions to every rule, and eventually almost every consignment saddle sells. The question is how quickly, at what price, and if it would have been a quicker and more lucrative sale through another vendor.

Contact Rachel, she runs www.iselltack.com, she sold my saddle for me in under one week! She sells all different brands of high-end saddles. It would behoove you to at least inquire with her. Plus, she doesn't take the 30% commission that a lot of used tack consignment places do!

Surprisingly enough, I've had fantastic luck with Craigslist, and I don't live in a very "horsey" area. I stumbled across a barely used Amerigo for a steal and since it was local, I got to try it! The following week, I took a chance and put my old (very old!) Ashland on there, sold it in 3 days for full asking price. Craigslist is free, so it can't hurt!
    "Life is too short to be a slave to the whims of others." -- RugBug, COTH

I always advertise on Craigslist but can't say I've had much luck myself. I've gotten more responses from scammers than anyone else! I have 2 saddles and a pony for sale right now too. (always love the scammers that respond to the pony and talk about shipping it) I've had pretty good luck with ebay (except for this time around also) but you do have to watch out for people that make seriously offensive offers! I had an Antares for sale last year, I think I was asking $2000 for it and I got an offer of $800, maybe even one less that was even with the ad saying it wasn't a hardship sale and that only reasonalbe offers should be sent. Cori at highendusedsaddles.com is great also. But again, you run into the commission thing. I haven't sent my Antares out to her this time around because I'm not in a hurry or real keen on selling it (I could use the money for a new horse) and I paid about what it's worth less than 6 months ago and I would take a pretty good sized hit if I send it to someone else. But since I don't HAVE to sell it I'm not too worried, and no one has been interested in it yet anyway (except scammers) Normally the saddles I send out I have been able to buy for super cheap and so I don't care because either way I'm going to make money. This is the first one that I've paid full value for. I don't buy and sell saddles for the fun of it (well, I do like to buy them!) I just had a hard to fit horse and I'm hard to fit too!

Thanks for the replies and advice everyone; I appreciate the honest comments. Unfortunatley, I am aware that becuase the saddle isn't a "hot" brand it won't move as fast or for as much money as a more popular saddle. I think I'm going to give Craigslist and Ebay a try, as well as contacting some of places above and see what they think.

Thanks again!