The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Down-sizing from truck to mid-size suv

DH and I are currently driving a big Dodge (NOT the one from the popup ads!) and the gas is killing us. We are looking for a mid-size suv, something big enough to comfortably travel in and throw the dogs in the back, but not so huge that the gas isn't any different from the truck. Does not need to be big enough to haul a trailer. We've been looking at Honda Pilots, CRV's, Nissan XTerras, Nissan Rogues, etc. Anyone have any recommendations? Pros/cons of any of these, or a different suv that you like? Thanks!

I love my 2008 Ford Edge Limited Edition!
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia
    www.southcross.com
    RIP Bocephus March 2008 - April 2013

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Are you dead set on an SUV? I downsized from a Yukon XL to a Chevy Traverse, one of the crossovers, and have been pleased. Good mileage, I can seat 8 and the cargo area is huge, especially if I lay the back seats down. I got 5 6ft banquet tables, 30 folding chairs and a bag of shavings in there last week, with only 60% folded down.
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

I ador the Ford Edges also. Never driven one but they look sharp !

My husband and I have decided when we do replace another vehicle it will be with a Hyundai. Can beat the warranty and really, they are not considered an "off brand" anymore. Even if they were, I still wouldnt hesitate.

The Santa Fe is nice looking

I can recommend NOT getting a Ford Escape...
    Quarry Rat

I have a 2007 Dodge Nitro and it is AWESOME

Tons of room, big enough to tow if I need to, and gas is on the higher end for a full-size SUV.

I'd look at the new Jeeps or Explorer's too, those look really spiffy.
    Friend of bar.ka!
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
    "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    Are you dead set on an SUV?
    ...kind of...? I know we definitely don't want a small truck, but we hadn't discussed crossovers... We need something bigger and more rugged than a car because we live on a really rough dirt road that floods bad in the summers. How "off road" can your crossover get?

Jeeps- well, I loved the LOOK of our Jeep and think the new ones are even sharper.

Electrical problems, had a clean car Fax but the Tail gate leaked when it rained. The transmission slipped. It was a 2008 model. We just traded it in because I was pretty sure it was going to die with less than 60,000 miles on it.

Ohio: Charter Member - COTH Hockey Clique & COTH Buffy Clique

Uh... mid-size? Many of the ones you mentioned I wouldn't consider mid-size but on the smaller size. I have an Explorer (which I love btw) and that I would consider mid-size... as with the Trailblazer, durango, etc. The escape, pilot, CRVs, etc... SMALL. Decide which size you want first.
    "Of course it's hard. It's supposed to be hard. It's the Hard that makes it great."

"Get up... Get out... Get Drunk. Repeat as needed." -- Spike

I guess when I think small suv I picture Rav4's and mazda tributes, etc. So, clarification, we are looking for a small or midsize suv

LOVE LOVE LOVE my Explorer. I just traded my old Dora in and upgraded to the Eddie Bauer edition. Leather, sunroof,heated seats, and 3rd row seating too. Plenty big enough for people, dogs and stuff. It has push button 4 wheel drive, you can snap it right into low or high or back easily. It's also set to kick in automatically if it senses the need. It's a 6cylinder so it's not awful on gas.I commute 30 miles each way all week. I retired my old one at 240k miles, it was a bit loud but it never left me stranded, I just worried over the mileage.
    Kerri

1 members found this post helpful.

I looooove my 2011 Jeep Liberty! I have two Dobermans so plenty of room for the dogs! It's a V6 (plenty of power) and 4WD (as opposed to AWD which I did not want).

Honestly I don't pay attention to the gas mileage I get with it...I just know it's less than my big Dodge truck

Its not nowhere, but you can see it from here

Quote Originally Posted by talkofthetown View Post
    ...kind of...? I know we definitely don't want a small truck, but we hadn't discussed crossovers... We need something bigger and more rugged than a car because we live on a really rough dirt road that floods bad in the summers. How "off road" can your crossover get?
    I live on the eastern plains of CO miles off of pavement. We have already had about a 6" snowfall and Eloise did great. Our roads are basically just sand and a little road base, no gravel to help with traction and we had a bit of sliding, but she handled much better than Connie did in 2WD. The drifts up at the house were over 1ft and Eloise got me through them no problem. But our snow doesn't tend to stick around forever. If you are going to get feet that stick around til the spring thaw I would prob get 4WD and higher clearance.
    If you are having to ford streams over their banks regularly, I would prob go with higher clearance there too. But on our sloppy snowy roads Eloise is great
    From AliCat518 "Seriously, why would you NOT put fried chicken in your purse?!"

Love my 2012 Honda Pilot. Because I need a vehicle that I can pack an entire display stand into, one of my main requirements was cargo area. Of the Pilot, Highlander, Explorer and Mazda, the Pilot has the easiest cargo area to load and work out of. (I have previously owned a Highlander and an Explorer.) We got an LX plus navigation. This is probably the most comfortable SUV I have ever driven, and we've had a few 10 hour days of driving in it. The nav system is very accurate and easy to use, which is a bonus. The console is a little bit cluttered: the best console interface we found was the Lexus, but that was lots more than we wanted to spend. I think the 2013 Pilot comes with a blind spot warning system: I would get it.

Gas mileage is averaging just over 22 mpg in total, and there have been a couple of long flat drives during which I've gotten 25 mpg, but don't count on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

They're not quite as popular yet, but the Kia Sorento is pretty darned nice, too. I know several folks who have them and they do like them well. My friend who has a used car lot isn't a big fan for resale, but I'd still check them out. I love my TrailBlazer, and will be sad when it's time is up.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

It might be bigger than you are looking for, but I LOVE my Toyota 4Runner.

It has been the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned. It has 190,000 miles on it, and runs perfectly. I love the huge cargo space in the back -- that's a big one for me, since I haul feed regularly. It's great for 4WD driving, too. The mileage is decent, though of course don't we all wish we got a little better! It gets 20/23 mpg.

It's been a great, great vehicle for us. I am contemplating my next purchase this summer since the mileage is starting to worry me a little. I LOVE the look of the Nissa X-terra, but after I read reviews (bad gas mileage, and a really rough ride), I've crossed that off my list. I may look at the Jeep Grand Cherokee, but honestly, I love the reliability of a Toyota, so I will probably go that direction again.

I had a 2011 Jeep Liberty that I loved. Reasonable gas (19/20 mpg), lots of space and the 4WD worked really well.

DH had a Dodge Nitro that was great too, but it wasn't my favorite. Sharp looking, though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.